States with fewer gun laws rank among most violent

Shelbyblues

Reaction score
While I agree a politician is a politician, the difference between the two parties is not so much a chasm as it is a gulf

Sorry you feel that way, btw

I am cynical.

I think for the most part it's one big dog & pony show.

Yes, I have lost all faith in our so called "public servants."

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Progress is a bad word now too?:laugh2:

I feel bad fer you guys

I don't think that was his point. You actually believe because of their self imposed, ridiculous moniker?

garweft

Reaction score
You mean the NRA was lying to us all along? :laugh2:

States with fewer gun laws rank among most violent, study finds

Posted: Friday, April 5, 2013 12:00 am

Bloomberg News

WASHINGTON — States with the least-restrictive gun laws are among those with the highest rates of firearm-related violence such as homicides, suicides and assaults, according to a study.

Eight of the 10 states with the fewest gun control laws, including Louisiana, Arizona, Mississippi, Montana and Oklahoma, are among the 25 with the highest rates of violence, according to a study by the Center for American Progress, a Washington-based group that favors tougher weapons curbs. Those with the strictest, including New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, were among the least violent, according to a ranking based on 10 criteria.

The study is the second in the past month to suggest that stricter gun laws can improve public safety as Congress and states debate whether to impose more hurdles to firearm ownership after the December massacre in Newtown, Conn. An article published by the American Medical Association in March found lower rates of gun-related homicides and suicides in states with the most firearm laws.

32179124.jpg

poncho

Banned
Reaction score
KSG, none taken:thumb:

Shelby, I understand yer frustration and and see yer point. Congress is a mess, isn't it?

poncho

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think that was his point. You actually believe because of their self imposed, ridiculous moniker?

I know what his point was. My comment was a riff on an inside joke between us. He likes to chastise me for being 'enlightened' and believing in 'utopia'

(Y'know, right wing dog whistle terms)

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can I ask a ridiculous question? And yes, if you choose to entertain it, you can give me a ridiculous answer

What's the end game here?

What exactly do you guys want to see happen? Armed teachers. Well, now shootings happen in malls. Armed security guards. Well now shootings happen at movie theatres. Armed popcorn makers. Well, now shootings happen at parks. Armed rangers. Well, now shootings happen, I could keep going, but you catch the drift. When will you be happy? What exactly do you want?

Everyone is armed everywhere, and that solves everything?

Make your pleas to the bad guys. See if they're willing to shed a tear, play the theme song to Billy Jack and drop all their weapons in a pile, then drop to their knees and beg for forgiveness for their evil ways.

Do this, because the "bad guys" aren't on this forum. The good guys are on this forum. I for one, will provide my own protection from the bad guys.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
So, a study done to coincide with what the people doing the study already expect to find? Sounds legit.

bertzie

Reaction score
A study can be used to prove anything you want it to. There are studies that support both sides. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

poncho

Banned
Reaction score
Caleb, yer LEO, yeah?

Would yer job be easier if everybody was armed? Is that what you want? Do you see any problems with this particular scenario? Don't you see enough madness as it is? Times that by a billion. Domestic abuse, well, now they're both armed

Shelbyblues

Reaction score
Caleb, yer LEO, yeah?

Would yer job be easier if everybody was armed? Is that what you want? Do you see any problems with this particular scenario? Don't you see enough madness as it is? Times that by a billion. Domestic abuse, well, now they're both armed

Although this wasn't directed at me I have a cousin that is LEO. In previous discussions with him, his position is yes for law biding citizens. Criminals will have firearms regardless.

Also, in the event of a violent crime against your person, you are the 1st responder and LEO's are the 2nd.

Another thing to remember is that LEO's are primarily armed for their own protection not necessarily yours.

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Caleb, yer LEO, yeah?

Give me a minute, I promise I will respond but its going to take a little typing time. Good questions.

poncho

Banned
Reaction score
Law abiding citizens have the cops called on them too

Next time Caleb goes out for a marital dispute, one or both are armed. I'm not police, although I have tremendous respect for the profession. Maybe it's due to my 'enlightenment', but the less armed civilians I deal with, the better, as far as I'm concerned. Possessing and maintaining a firearm is a huge responsibility. One that, according to another a recent gun thread here, people don't take as seriously as I'd imagine they would, fer all their online bluster

So anyway, he shows up, heat of the moment, and both are armed. Now what?

Sometimes I feel like it's just some weird selfish thing, that people don't think all the way through

Lurko

Reaction score
Now what?

"Drop the weapons, NOW."

If drop, then cuff.

If no drop, then bang bang.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Those with the strictest, including New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, were among the least violent, according to a ranking based on 10 criteria.

What, exactly, are these criteria? And who compiled them?

Statistics can be made to say anything.

Latest Threads