States with fewer gun laws rank among most violent

allbusinessjoe

Reaction score
You mean the NRA was lying to us all along? :laugh2:

States with fewer gun laws rank among most violent, study finds

Posted: Friday, April 5, 2013 12:00 am

Bloomberg News

WASHINGTON — States with the least-restrictive gun laws are among those with the highest rates of firearm-related violence such as homicides, suicides and assaults, according to a study.

Eight of the 10 states with the fewest gun control laws, including Louisiana, Arizona, Mississippi, Montana and Oklahoma, are among the 25 with the highest rates of violence, according to a study by the Center for American Progress, a Washington-based group that favors tougher weapons curbs. Those with the strictest, including New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, were among the least violent, according to a ranking based on 10 criteria.

The study is the second in the past month to suggest that stricter gun laws can improve public safety as Congress and states debate whether to impose more hurdles to firearm ownership after the December massacre in Newtown, Conn. An article published by the American Medical Association in March found lower rates of gun-related homicides and suicides in states with the most firearm laws.

Shelbyblues

Reaction score

Bloomberg News

WASHINGTON — States with the least-restrictive gun laws are among those with the highest rates of firearm-related violence such as homicides, suicides and assaults, according to a study.

Eight of the 10 states with the fewest gun control laws, including Louisiana, Arizona, Mississippi, Montana and Oklahoma, are among the 25 with the highest rates of violence, according to a study by the Center for American Progress, a Washington-based group that favors tougher weapons curbs. Those with the strictest, including New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, were among the least violent, according to a ranking based on 10 criteria.

The study is the second in the past month to suggest that stricter gun laws can improve public safety as Congress and states debate whether to impose more hurdles to firearm ownership after the December massacre in Newtown, Conn. An article published by the American Medical Association in March found lower rates of gun-related homicides and suicides in states with the most firearm laws.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

FUS44

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlyXNRrsk4A]Katy Perry - Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) - YouTube[/ame]

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I tend to think a little more locally. Chicago, Baltimore, DC, Detroit. Lots of crime, lots of gun laws, lenient penalties, and all very liberal. Generally one-party towns too, interestingly enough. :hmm:

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I tend to think a little more locally. Chicago, Baltimore, DC, Detroit. Lots of crime, lots of gun laws, lenient penalties, and all very liberal. Generally one-party towns too, interestingly enough. :hmm:

I don't think the availability of guns in such metro areas would really do much for crime IMO. It's cesspool in those cities, and nothing can really be done.

Speaking of one party towns/states, it's pretty clear that one party government has issues, when looking at cities you mentioned. Some states have this issue too, Cali, TX, just to name two. Seems like the most bi-partisan governments work the best IMO.

poncho

Banned
Reaction score

One party town? Snyder's got an iron grip on Detroit. Can't speak to the others, but I imagine it's similar

As to yer other point? Yes, there sure is a lot of gun violence there. What's weird is, and I'm sure it's just coincidence, they happen to neighbor states with quite lax gun control laws

KSG_Standard

Reaction score

Bloomberg News

Where's the study? Other studies have found the opposite to be true, some have found no correlation between gun laws and violence. Chicago, DC and Mexico would seem to show that strict gun laws don't make a safer environment. Me thinks someone is lying and it's probably not the NRA.:thumb:

Howard2k

Reaction score
This isn't new, there are several studies that support this. It's not something made up by Bloomberg.

poncho

Banned
Reaction score
Can I ask a ridiculous question? And yes, if you choose to entertain it, you can give me a ridiculous answer

What's the end game here?

What exactly do you guys want to see happen? Armed teachers. Well, now shootings happen in malls. Armed security guards. Well now shootings happen at movie theatres. Armed popcorn makers. Well, now shootings happen at parks. Armed rangers. Well, now shootings happen, I could keep going, but you catch the drift. When will you be happy? What exactly do you want?

Everyone is armed everywhere, and that solves everything?

Shelbyblues

Reaction score
Can I ask a ridiculous question? And yes, if you choose to entertain it, you can give me a ridiculous answer

What exactly do you guys want to see happen? Armed teachers. Well, now shootings happen in malls. Armed security guards. Well now shootings happen at movie theatres. Armed popcorn makers. Well, now shootings happen at parks. Armed rangers. Well, now shootings happen, I could keep going, but you catch the drift. When will you be happy? What exactly do you want?

I want my Constitutional Rights left the fvck alone.

Comprende?

Howard2k

Reaction score

Issues every new born baby a pacifier, diaper and gun.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
...What's the end game here?...

Freedom to keep and bear arms. No more laws that don't actually do what they're proposed to do. Enforce the 22,000 plus that are on the books now and then get back to me.:thumb:

2010, 76,142 individuals failed a gun purchase background check and that more than 15,000 of those failed background checks were applications from felons and fugitives, who are no longer legally allowed to own a gun. The lawmakers said that only 13 of those cases resulted in guilty pleas.

Read more: SC lawmakers tell DOJ to prosecute felons, fugitives trying to buy guns - The Hill's Floor Action
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

Work on the mental health system and leave me and the other law abiding citizens alone.:wave:

Zack

Reaction score
And in those states with the tight gunlaws people probably get stabbed to shit.

Shelbyblues

Reaction score
Yeah, go figure. The guy who owns the publication held office as a republican,.........the same party that wants as many guns on the streets as possible.

Republican or Democrat....not a dimes worth of difference between em anymore, a politician is a politician.

I follow no political party, just the Constitution/Bill of Rights.

poncho

Banned
Reaction score
Republican or Democrat....not a dimes worth of difference between em anymore, a politician is a politician.

I follow no political party, just the Constitution/Bill of Rights.

While I agree a politician is a politician, the difference between the two parties is not so much a chasm as it is a gulf

Sorry you feel that way, btw

KP

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This should explain their stance and results.

"The Center for American Progress, a liberal think tank closely aligned with the White House."

poncho

Banned
Reaction score
Progress is a bad word now too?:laugh2:

I feel bad fer you guys

Latest Threads