State of the collectible/vintage market in 2013?

Jimmi

Reaction score
Mr. Hewgley went to the same church my parents took me to in high school. If not for his generous offer of free lessons along with a paid guitar rental for the youth group, I wouldn't have gotten a start in playing guitar. He made it possible for me.

I was in the Henley Street store a *lot* back then. Met some cool guys. Got infected with GAS. I'll never forget the day I saw and touched my first Moog in person. He supplied the high school bands with their rentals too. From my perspective he was a wise, generous, and good man.

Here's one for Mr. Hewgley.
:cheers:

I agree and feel the same about Richard Dennis (owner of TM). Business in that day had shifted to the suburbs which was why the down town stores were suffering. There used to be a mall that included Sears and Haverty's around the same area of broadway that also went out of business. Mr Hewgly was getting older and just let the store fold. Richard did the same a few years back once it was clear his kids were not interested in taking the store over.

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, here it was Long's School of Music and Pick and Grin that did exactly that in the western 'burbs with stringed instruments. I've forgotten the competition's name for the school band and orchestra instruments. There was no one to whom he could pass the torch. At its height it was the most happening gear place in town.

Jimmi

Reaction score
Yes, here it was Long's School of Music and Pick and Grin that did exactly that in the western 'burbs with stringed instruments. I've forgotten the competition's name for the school band and orchestra instruments. There was no one to whom he could pass the torch. At its height it was the most happening gear place in town.
We did quite a bit of band instrument rental at TM also. Mostly to students at Overton and McMurry. Do you still live in town? Looks like I may be moving back.

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm out west now, back visiting for a bit. Seeing Mr Hewgley mentioned was a sweet trip back in time to my most humble beginnings on the guitar. Hope you do get to move back, if that's where your sights are!

Jimmi

Reaction score
I'm out west now, back visiting for a bit. Seeing Mr Hewgley mentioned was a sweet trip back in time to my most humble beginnings on the guitar. Hope you do get to move back, if that's where your sights are!
I miss the city and the music scene which has blossomed more in my absence.

MissingSomethin

Reaction score
What has the market done since 2013?
Has it gone up, down, or sideways in the last 2 years?

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My general interpretation after talking to a lot of people is that a) the market is healthy (no longer falling), b) the high end has started going back up, and c) the lower end prices are flat, but moving. But I could be off.

hoss

Reaction score
My general interpretation after talking to a lot of people is that a) the market is healthy (no longer falling), b) the high end has started going back up, and c) the lower end prices are flat, but moving. But I could be off.
In the US I think it is correct. In Europe the market went down the ****ter, together with the failed Euro currency and the general economy.

hoss

Reaction score
What has the market done since 2013?
Has it gone up, down, or sideways in the last 2 years?
In Europe the market went down the ****ter, together with the failed Euro currency and the general economy.

VonPrikler

Reaction score
Just buy stuff you like - stuff you think is cool, that you will actually use.
One thing I learned over the years: don't buy stuff because the "market" thinks it's cool.
Lots of incredible stuff within reach if you follow your heart.
And who cares if it goes down.
There are a couple of guitars I have right now that I plan to play until either i or the guitar becomes dust.

VonPrikler

Reaction score
Buy a completely ****ed up '50s (already) modified Junior, route it for humbuckers, put in some great modern PAF repros, and you'll have equally as much "Burst tone" as the guy who spent $300K on some museum piece.

Lots of cork sniffers will tell you different, but the way I look at it, it is just common sense.

JJ Blair

Reaction score
I think it depends on the guitar. I'm seeing Strats the cheapest I can remember in a long while. Bursts seem to be on the rise. YMMV.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Definitely some bargain Strats and Teles out there. I think of the vintage Gibson market as a minefield, particularly the great sounding "players" guitars that interest me most. And then I think about the vintage Fender market, and it just looks like it would be far too easy to end up with something that wasn't what you thought you were buying.

hoss said:
In the US I think it is correct. In Europe the market went down the ****ter, together with the failed Euro currency and the general economy.
I'm not completely certain about that hoss. If the guitars stay cheap enough in Europe, they'll start making their way back to the USA. It feels more like a world market nowadays, at least to me. FWIW, I have never bought a vintage Gibson in Europe, because they have always seemed overpriced when compared with the USA.

I'm not certain if prices have gone up much since 2013 - the major change I have noticed is that guitars are being sold again. For a long time it felt like there just wasn't much out there.

Liam

KayLane

Banned
Reaction score
I have never bought a vintage Gibson in Europe, because they have always seemed overpriced when compared with the USA.
Liam
same here..plus ad in shipping and you are way over any market price in the US...vintage acoustics have held their ground and are on the way up through some real deals can be had if you look and be smart about it

JJ Blair

Reaction score
Here's all I know, if you are concerned about resale, buy something in great condition. Clean stuff moves, as long as it's priced sanely. Issues stuff can take a while to move.

hoss

Reaction score
I'm not completely certain about that hoss. If the guitars stay cheap enough in Europe, they'll start making their way back to the USA.
I know, Liam. Especially with the failed Euro currency going down.

I am only talking about the guitar market inside Europe. Not only vintage guitars, all expensive guitars are not selling well.
Ask the dealers. The high end market is saturated and kids play tablets :hmm:

David Mccarroll

Reaction score
Generally I think the market is going up, just a bit but steadily - you saw early Les Pauls advertised in the $15K region two years ago - not as far as I can see anymore. Strats also are definitely on the upswing.

Nothing is exactly skyrocketing, but a friend of mine was looking at 65 Strats a little while ago and his view was they were incrementally inching up every month.

hoss

Reaction score
Generally I think the market is going up, just a bit but steadily - you saw early Les Pauls advertised in the $15K region two years ago - not as far as I can see anymore. Strats also are definitely on the upswing.

Nothing is exactly skyrocketing, but a friend of mine was looking at 65 Strats a little while ago and his view was they were incrementally inching up every month.
I have a 65 for sale.

Latest Threads