State of the collectible/vintage market in 2013?

yeti

Reaction score
This burdensome and complicated idea of an internet tax falls MORE heavily on the small retailers shoulders.

Yeti, you know I like you, but you sound like the typical politician that does not know how business works and is unable to understand the unintended consequences of burdensome taxes and regulations.
In my homestate of Nebraska the Republicans want to eliminate the income tax in order to gain the competitive advantage over other states that still have such a tax. They are hoping to more than make up the estimated $2.2 billion revenue loss by closing sales tax "loopholes". I'm positive that every one of those "new" taxes will be met with fierce oposition by special interest. So do these Republicans don't know anything about business as well? Do I sound like one of those politicians? My impression is that everytime the word "tax" is used people respond refexively in a negative way. Same goes for all kinds of regulation. Remember that every increase in the minimum wage was surely going to bring down the american free enterprise system, smoking bans would end the gastronomic sector as we know it and so on.
Sorry for going way off topic.

Jimmi

Reaction score
In my homestate of Nebraska the Republicans want to eliminate the income tax in order to gain the competitive advantage over other states that still have such a tax. They are hoping to more than make up the estimated $2.2 billion revenue loss by closing sales tax "loopholes". I'm positive that every one of those "new" taxes will be met with fierce oposition by special interest. So do these Republicans don't know anything about business as well? Do I sound like one of those politicians? My impression is that everytime the word "tax" is used people respond refexively in a negative way. Same goes for all kinds of regulation. Remember that every increase in the minimum wage was surely going to bring down the american free enterprise system, smoking bans would end the gastronomic sector as we know it and so on.
Sorry for going way off topic.
My home state has never had an income tax, low property taxes, has a relatively high sales tax but only 2 cents higher than the state I live in now that has income taxes at city,county state levels with property taxes up to 5x more.

The state I live in is hostel to buisness and lost a lot of it as a consequence and has recovered very very slowly despite its good size population and 3 large cities. In contrast, my home state has flourished, had recovery that started in 2009 and basically back to where it was or a little higher, housing sales way up. They have enough money to run thier own health care system that is going to be screwed by the national changes I might add.

Taxes are like crack to politicians. They never give it back and only want more. Nave to make them run the state on a budget.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
LOL! I'm too obsessive to drink adult beverages. :naughty:

So do these Republicans don't know anything about business as well? Do I sound like one of those politicians?
I did use the word "typical" as a description for a reason... :thumb:

I'm not opposed to regulation, and I am not opposed to taxes.

Sometimes though, there just dumb.

http://www.dumblaws.com/

yeti

Reaction score
LOL! I'm too obsessive to drink adult beverages. :naughty:

I did use the word "typical" as a description for a reason... :thumb:

I'm not opposed to regulation, and I am not opposed to taxes.

Sometimes though, there just dumb.

http://www.dumblaws.com/
they have some pretty good city laws here in Nebraska::laugh2::laugh2:
Sneezing or burping is illegal during a church service
Omaha law still on the books, I guess:laugh2::laugh2:

MissingSomethin

Reaction score
Any big changes in the vintage market since this thread was started 9 months ago?

Are prices lower, same, or higher?
Is supply lower, same, or higher?

Jimmi

Reaction score
I think the market has had a slight up tick.

yeti

Reaction score
iconic celeb Bursts seem down a bit......quite a bit:cool:

rockstar232007

Reaction score
It's less about how the market is "now", and more about what it will be in the "future".

IMHO, even with the current state of the stock-market, you'd be better off taking your chances there, then playing VG-investment game?

devin dude

Reaction score
It's less about how the market is "now", and more about what it will be in the "future".

IMHO, even with the current state of the stock-market, you'd be better off taking your chances there, then playing VG-investment game?

One should never "invest" in the vintage guitar market , IMO. Buy because you love , not for investment , IMO,OMMV. :slash:

MissingSomethin

Reaction score
Not looking for investment advice, but more interested in the state of the guitar market compared to 1 year ago.

hoss

Reaction score
Not looking for investment advice, but more interested in the state of the guitar market compared to 1 year ago.
My feeling: It's up slightly. Many "entry" level Bursts move at the moment and vintage Goldtops and refins are doing well.

yeti

Reaction score
As far as the future outlook is concerned I defer to the wise man who once said:
"Wenn der Hahn kraeht auf dem Mist, aendert sich das Wetter oder es bleibt wie es ist"

RCCola

Reaction score
I agree with the others. In general, the vintage market is slightly up from the year before. BUT that's not as useful as knowing how the market is for specific guitars. For example, late 50s LP Customs have remained flat in the past year, and still way down from 4-5 years ago.

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
Tusculum Music formally Hewgley's South. He actually took most of old man Hewgley's buisness in the end and then bought out his inventory for almost nothing.

The vintage stuff we had was mainly Fender guitars, a few Gibsons, usually had Martins, a mountain of vintage fender twins, Princetons, etc, 60s-early 70s Marshalls....all at prices that would make you a small fortune on ebay today.
Mr. Hewgley went to the same church my parents took me to in high school. If not for his generous offer of free lessons along with a paid guitar rental for the youth group, I wouldn't have gotten a start in playing guitar. He made it possible for me.

I was in the Henley Street store a *lot* back then. Met some cool guys. Got infected with GAS. I'll never forget the day I saw and touched my first Moog in person. He supplied the high school bands with their rentals too. From my perspective he was a wise, generous, and good man.

Here's one for Mr. Hewgley.
:cheers:

Latest Threads