Standard vs Traditional

Arthur

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
This question has probably been asked before but which one would you choose.
Personally I think the Trad sounds better but the Standard has all those new feature, oh btw I mean the 2008 Standard and not the Trad Pro.

KenG

Reaction score
Here in Canada the Standard is $350 more than the Trad. Most of the Standards I saw were 2-piece bodies and I don't like the input jack. So my choice is the Trad

rockin'rolldad

Reaction score
Traditional all the way. The new feature of the 2008 standard don't make the guitar any better imho.

White94RX

Reaction score
Traditional Plus. You'll love it. I haven't really liked any of the Standards that I have played.

LarsK

Reaction score
I have a Standard, very happy with it. Have not played a Trad though.

Matt616

Reaction score
I think both are great (historics are def a step up though). However, I cannot stand the output jack on the standard so that would make me lean more towards the traditional unless I felt like redoing the output jack.

Catfish

Reaction score
I've got one of each and I love them both.

glynneCicada

Reaction score
I originally wanted a Traditional. Saved up & went to the shop to get one. I didnt like the neck. As soon I got the Standard in my hands, that was it. The best feature about the Standard, regardless of chambering etc... blah blah blah... is the neck. Its the best neck on any guitar Ive ever played, & made it worth the extra £s. And the whole guitar is everything I wanted it to be with bells on. Im not saying its better. There were ALOT of things that I changed to make it more like a Trad, tuners, output jack etc.... The Trads are awesome. If the Trad had the Standards neck, perfect guitar right there. But the Standard neck did it for me.

LarsK

Reaction score
I think both are great (historics are def a step up though). However, I cannot stand the input jack on the standard so that would make me lean more towards the traditional unless I felt like redoing the output jack.

Are you guys referring to the locking input jack? Yes, it can be a pain but it's not a deal breaker.

glynneCicada

Reaction score
Yeah. I replaced the output jack straight away. Took me 2 minutes & cost £10. For me its about the things that CANT be changed .Neck, body, tone, feel etc... Everything else can be modded & replaced.

WinterOrb

Reaction score
I bought a 2008 standard and didn't look back. Also got it for the same price as a trad. The jack isn't a problem, you just give it a thumbs up when you pull it out.

nauc

Reaction score
Studio. the Trad is too damn heavy and the Std is too $

BoogieMan_SC

Reaction score
I've got a 2010 '08 Standard (as well as an older Standard) but have played my buddy's Trad quite a bit. They both really kick ass. My preference was the tone and feel of the '08 Standard, but you really have to play them both personally. To be honest, to my ears, my 2010 '08 "chambered" model sings sweeter than my older non-chambered one, so go figure. They're both a hefty investment for both so get the one that moves your soul the most...or both! :)

04renostar

Reaction score
If it were me I'd go with the Traditional. Both the traditional and the std are great guitars, but unlike GlynneCicada, I like the neck of the Traditional more than the Std.

I'd say BoogieMan hit the nail on the head though. You've gotta play both yourself & figure out which one really floats your boat more. I've got a buddy who was convinced that a Std was what he was gonna get until he played it. He actually ended up buying a Studio 60's Deluxe instead of the Traditional or the Std because it felt better TO HIM than the others. It's all about what YOU like more than us...

bluesguitar1972

Reaction score
If it were me I'd go with the Traditional. Both the traditional and the std are great guitars, but unlike GlynneCicada, I like the neck of the Traditional more than the Std.

I'd say BoogieMan hit the nail on the head though. You've gotta play both yourself & figure out which one really floats your boat more. I've got a buddy who was convinced that a Std was what he was gonna get until he played it. He actually ended up buying a Studio 60's Deluxe instead of the Traditional or the Std because it felt better TO HIM than the others. It's all about what YOU like more than us...

+1
Too many people get caught up in what they think should be the right guitar. Buy whichever one speaks to you. Personally, I like a satin finish and the 50's neck, and I like warmer tones, so I like P90's and the classic 57s...my guitars reflect my tastes. :)

Square

Reaction score
Standard for me I played several Trads and several Standards. I like the Burstbucker Pros and the neck on the Standard is the real deal. The output jack does suck but it doesn't suck that bad...

golfnut

Reaction score
my trad is 8lbs 14oz. too heavy? sheesh.:)

-
My Trad is slightly over 8 and a half pounds. Its my first LP and I got it last week. Being a Telecaster player all my life I generally stayed away from Telecasters this heavy in recent years as my back has a hard time with anything over 8 pounds on my back all night at a gig. But from what I understand 8.5 is good for an LP and I won't be playing it for more than a few songs in each set as my main player is a 7.3 pound custom crook (Tele style)

Mule Train

Reaction score
I like the 57' pickups on my Trad Plus. I guess you could'nt go wrong with either.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Trads by a slight margin, although the one I bought was a Trad Pro. I preferred it's features, and neck profile. Sounds great too. :)

Latest Threads