Standard vs custom

Sigmili

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between the Dave Amato Les Paul excess standard versus a custom Les Paul 57 reissue , The 57 custom has everything on it I want but then again so does the dave model I’m not sold on the Floyd Rose I could take it or leave it. I really love the custom 57 reuse shoes it’s the color I want the neck I want I just don’t know if it’s worth another gram

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
The vast majority of members on this forum are traditionalists and will lynch you for just mentioning Floyd Rose and Les Paul in 1 sentence.
But as a non-traditionalist even I must admit I strongly dislike the combination.

sixty-niner

Reaction score
Im ok with the Floyd, its the thin body and belly cut I hate about the axcess. they don't even feel like a Les Paul. Get the 57.

Ransom

Reaction score
Im ok with the Floyd, its the thin body and belly cut I hate about the axcess. they don't even feel like a Les Paul. Get the 57.
Oh, man. I completely forgot about the belly cut. If you want a belly cut, and a thin body with a Floyd just grab up a Strat.

blouie

Reaction score
It's worth a grand to me to not have a Floyd.

Just saying...

Agreed!!! I have an actual Floyd Rose guitar that I haven't touched for YEARS since a string broke because the system is such a PIA.

James Hill

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between the Dave Amato Les Paul excess standard versus a custom Les Paul 57 reissue , The 57 custom has everything on it I want but then again so does the dave model I’m not sold on the Floyd Rose I could take it or leave it. I really love the custom 57 reuse shoes it’s the color I want the neck I want I just don’t know if it’s worth another gram

If you love both guitars, and you are buying to play it and could care less about the $$$ l would say go with which ever neck truly feels better, just about everything else can be changed but you are pretty much marrying the neck and it's profile. One will simply be more inspiring for you to play.. it really doesn't matter if it's a Studio or a Supreme.. buy the one that does it for you!

Reaction score
You have to go with the 57 Les Paul Custom - just the neck alone should be enough to make you decide on it.
The Floyd Rose on a Les Paul is just not worth the extra money plus its like a fish out of water. Personally I have 2 Fender Strat's that I have installed a wooden block in both the tails so they are both basically hard tails now - I just don't use the Floyd Rose. If you must have something like a Floyd Rose go with a Vibrato System on a 335 - now those 2 go together.
But that's all personal taste and you should go with what feels and sounds best to you.
Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

52-62

Reaction score
My 57 custom was the "fretless wonder" I didnt like that much. Nothing wrong with a Bigsby. I have one on my 57 standard.

Last edited:

BSeneca

Reaction score
Id go 57 reissue. As a product of the 70's and 80's I always seem to yearn for a Floyd equipped guitar (bought a 1985 Custom brand new with a Kahler! ugh) but then I break a string and I trade it!

Socrates

Reaction score
Yeah buy the guitar you really want otherwise it will haunt you in your dreams forever lol...the 57 LPC RI is fabulous!

Last edited:

tzd

Reaction score
I prefer the original Dave Amato model:

LPDX1TVCF1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

dasherf17

Reaction score

Just by the "I really love", "it's the color I want", "it's got the neck I want"...um I think you're sold on the Custom, whatcha think?

DanD

Reaction score
You can also get that set up with a more traditional wiggle stick on the Joe Perry GT...

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
These two guitars feel completely different. One is super modern with a thin neck, thinner body, Floyd, neck heel and belly cuts. The 57 RI Custom has a fat 57-style neck, and is all-mahogany meaning it has a much thicker, warmer tone that doesn’t have the snap and bite that the maple top provides. That’s not a bad thing necessarily it’s just personal preference.

Latest Threads