Standard Vs Classic?

TheNakedCornInferno

Reaction score
I have a chance to get either a Les Paul Classic or a Standard Plus/Plain Top after Christmas and I was wondering what the major differences between the two? The Classic is supposed to have "open coiled humbuckers" but what humbuckers are they? Anyone know the specs on the Classic and how they compare to the Standard?

kenpoken

Reaction score
I took my classic into the local music store to find what type of pickups they are. All I was told was that they were a special order, and that the number wasn't the order number for any other model. I have a review on the classics from a 2004 magazine that says the classic has a maple top covered with a veneer, and a slim taper neck.

If I can find the article, I'll post it tomorrow. It should still be on the web.

TheNakedCornInferno

Reaction score
Thanks according to the Epiphone wiki they are exactly the same as far as I can tell apart from the classic having a quilt top and one of the Alnico Classic is replaced with an Alnico Hot. I couldn't really find any other differences.

TKOjams

Reaction score
Play them both, then make you choice.

davies

Banned/Not Banned
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
As has been said before, the only difference between the two is uncovered pups (one of which is an Alnico Hot) and different finishes, including plain, plus, quilt, GT and birdseye.

As has also been said before, if you can, play them both before choosing.

And now, something that hasn't been said before - don't believe the slim-taper neck description for the Classic. I'm sure that some of them are but my Trans Amber quilt has got the chunkiest neck of all of mine.

davies

Banned/Not Banned
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Which part is not true?

The bit about me being sure some of them are slim-taper or the bit about my Trans Amber - a guitar which I hold in my hands on a daily basis and therefore can compare it to all my other guitars - having the chunkiest neck of all of mine?

Please remind me - when did you last hold my guitar?

cicone

Reaction score
Most of the reviews on Ultimate Guitar aren't worth the bandwidth it takes to read them. Often the guitar being reviewed isn't even the correct model. The comments are always good for a few chuckles though.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Yup. Especially that corny BS like "if this ever gets lost or stolen, I'd run right out and buy another one". That just kills me.

davies

Banned/Not Banned
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Some more words of wisdom from Ultimate-Guitar Les Paul Classic reviewers who, judging by the writing styles, word use and (incorrect) use of grammar and punctuation, I believe are all either (i) 12-16 years old or (ii) a couple of people ever-so-slightly re-writing and posting the same review.

The "Neck" was made in China and the "Body" in Europe
The Body style is the typical Les Paul style, it's black and is made to look like a woman and it has a string-thru body
It has 4 nobs, 2 for vollume, one of them for the high strings and the other for the low strings, there are 2 other nobs for regulating the bass and treble
It has 4 Epiphone pickups
The action like on all Epiphone or Gibson copies is amazing
The "Plus" at the end of the name of it simply means that it has a better finish than the norm
And mother of pearl trapezoid inlay
It could easily withstand any live playing
This guitar espeacially good for soloing, imporvising, playing blues and acoustic
It can easily be used on stage I will risk my life for it
The parts were made in Gibson's factory in Tennessee, but the guitar was actually assembled in Korea because of lower labor costs
The action on theis guitar can be anything you want it to be

And then I got bored reading.

LPBR

Reaction score
I think they're basically the same guitar with the Classic having uncovered pups.
If this is the only difference, I certainly would go for the Standard, because with nickel pickup covers it looks too much more classic and classy IMO! Also, guitars with uncovered pups always look cheap for me.

kenpoken

Reaction score
Which part is not true?

The bit about me being sure some of them are slim-taper or the bit about my Trans Amber - a guitar which I hold in my hands on a daily basis and therefore can compare it to all my other guitars - having the chunkiest neck of all of mine?

Please remind me - when did you last hold my guitar?

I play with mine daily as well, and dabble with the ones on the shelf at the music store whenever I need strings.

I'm not having a cock fight with you. My interest is only in learning and sharing of information. I don't want to play games of wit, only relay information I found online, as well as personal experience. Guess you never actually looked at the second review from the magazine article?

kenpoken

Reaction score
I read the review from the Epi site you linked to and it's just a normal review. He does mention that the guitar he reviewed had a slim neck but that by no means indicates that all Classics came with the same neck profile. Like all reviews, it is a review of one particular guitar, not every one of that model which would of course be impossible.

For example I have a Vintage G-400 with the bound neck and I picked up the same model for a friend of mine. They are both made in Korea but at different factories and while they are both great examples of the model, there are differences between them. For one, my guitar has a slimmer neck than my buddy's and I have aged inlays while his does not while the control knobs on his are better aligned than mine. That's just the way it is when the same model of guitar is made at different factories.

I can see your point. My guitar came from Unsung back in '99.

davies

Banned/Not Banned
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I play with mine daily as well, and dabble with the ones on the shelf at the music store whenever I need strings.

I'm not having a cock fight with you. My interest is only in learning and sharing of information. I don't want to play games of wit, only relay information I found online, as well as personal experience. Guess you never actually looked at the second review from the magazine article?

I did indeed read the review from the magazine article - I'm guessing you're referring to "the neck is skinny and fast". Mine isn't - fact.

In the interest of learning and sharing information please be advised that the neck on my Classic TA is (i) different from the neck on my Classic GT and (ii) the chunkiest neck of all my Epis. Nobody can tell me it isn't - fact.

But it's all good cos it doesn't matter in the slightest.

Neemo

Reaction score
before i bought my LP Std i played a ZW Camo Bullseye, 2 Stds, a classic, 2 studios and an ultra

liked the Std that i bought the best of the bunch...each and everyone had their own differences

CivoLee

Reaction score
I had a Classic Plus Goldtop (I know the Classic Plus was typically a quilt top but that's what the trussrod cover said) a while ago. The neck and pickups were comparable to the Standard I have now, which has a relatively thick neck. That said, if I could have the Classic back instead of the Standard (which I love, don't get me wrong), I'd take the Classic...just liked the vibe a bit better.

davies

Banned/Not Banned
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know exactly what you're saying Civo. I've got a better connection with both my Classics (GT and TA) than my Standard. Weird.

TheNakedCornInferno

Reaction score
Haha thanks I'm probably gonna go for the standard. I did read several places though that the classic has a slim taper neck, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a couple with ultra chunky necks.

nbeersiii

Banned
Reaction score
The Pickups should be the same just uncovered but the wont sound exactly the same. The covers darkin the sound up a good bit. I took the cover off the neck pickup on one of my LPs and it totaly fixed my mud problem. I really like the sound now. So if you got some covered epi pickups that are a bit dark just uncover them use a hair dryer to remove the wax and you will be surprised at how much it clears them up. Really nice sounding for "cheaper" epi pickups.

Latest Threads