Standard vs classic

pfa

Reaction score
Im sure there is tons of these threads around here somewhere, but i couldnt finde one.. so i made a new one.

Whats the difference between a standard and a classic epiphone les paul?

(i own a classic, and thinking of buying another one)

socreddy

Reaction score
From what I've heard at the guitar store it has to do with the outlines (I completely forgot the real word for it...) being on the front and the back of the guitar and the pickups.

slowhand0461

Reaction score
Classics have Open Coil P'ups and a Slimmer neck...The P'ups might be the same as in the Standards but they do sound a Little hotter..:cheers:

pfa

Reaction score
K, maybe i should go for a standard this time

wantsa58

Reaction score
Yeah i think even the necks on the epi model are identical to the standard... they just leave the pup covers off and do a different paint job. Now Gibson's do have a slimmer neck on the classic...

G-Minor

Reaction score
i own a clasic and love it. The top is better imo and its hotter sounding imo. theres not much difference except for top and how the pu's are wound. on the bottom of my pu's it says neck classic hot and bridge classic hot.

lp_junkie

Reaction score
the Epi Classics have thinner necks, I have 2 Customs, 2 Classics and 4 Standards here in the hotel room with me and there is a big difference between the necks on the Standards and Classics.

The Classics were advertised as having a slim taper neck and open coil pickups- they made them in quilted, flamed, and birdseye maple tops.

MikeJSchmidt

Reaction score
Pick-ups, neck profile, and no pick guard. oh and tuners...

Mike
:slash:

G-Minor

Reaction score
no they come with pick guards. just not assembled.

overdriver

Banned
Reaction score
Depends on the vintage! Now they come separate. A couple of years ago they didn't.
no they the reg. classics came with guards Epi any way. Some special order ones which different chain stores such as the quilt top classic MF had did not come with a guard.

The neck on my 04 gold top classic is slimmer than the one on my 05 plus top standard (Epis)

Latest Threads