Standard versus Studio

CapM

Reaction score
I've been GASing for a new LP. I have a Strat, my go-to guitar, and a Gibson ES-335. I think an LP would fit nicely into the mix. :)

The Customs appeal to be, but the only thing holding me back is the $2,500. Wife would not be happy. So, I was thinking perhaps a Studio might be in my best interest (although I HATE buying low end anything).

Question is, would there be a tremendous difference in playability between Custom and Studio? I already have a Strat with single coils, so I don't think the Tributes with P90s would be my preferred pickups.

Thanks guys and gals. Great site you have here.

CL-10

Reaction score
I have a '75 Deluxe and an '03 Std. both of which I bought brand new. I would'nt hesitate to buy a Studio at all - in fact i'm sort of gassing for one now. They're not an inferior guitar. no binding around the body - so what unless you have to have that vintage look to be happy. I'd probably change the pickups out for Antiquities with an Alnico 4 magnet swap though - but i did that with my Std too.

Daryl Licht

Reaction score
A Studio that is set up well will play as good as anything out there. It comes stock with the same pickups that a Custom uses. The wood is probably going to be of lesser quality, tone between different Customs might be more consistent from one guitar to another, but if you look at a lot of them you can find a Studio that will trip your trigger.

The Studio is a low end LP, but it ain't a low end guitar.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Essentialy, USA gibson Les Pauls are all the same.
The things that affect playability are the shape of the neck, weightrelief vs chambered, and pickups.

Shape of the neck is very personal, so you'll have to try what you like.
Weightrelief vs chambered isnt gonna make much difference in tone, but it does save a lot of weight.
Pickups can be swapped easily so dont worry about that.

So a Studio, Standard or Custom are gonna sound quite the same. Its all about the bling bling you know :D

If you are pure for tone, and dont care for looks, get a nice Les Paul studio. Its also worthwhile to search for a used guitar since it can save quite some money. What is your budget?

River

Reaction score
Studios aren't low end, just less bling and price.

P-90s are nothing like Strat single coils.

CapM

Reaction score
My apologies about the use of the words "low end." I guess I meant lower end of the line. At $1,000 +/- that is hardly a low end guitar. Thanks for the info guys! P.S. I'll have to listen to the P90s then...

jlb32

Reaction score
A Studio that is set up well will play as good as anything out there. It comes stock with the same pickups that a Custom uses. The wood is probably going to be of lesser quality, tone between different Customs might be more consistent from one guitar to another, but if you look at a lot of them you can find a Studio that will trip your trigger.

The Studio is a low end LP, but it ain't a low end guitar.

Yeah, probably the biggest differences is the wood quality and detail work the Customs have over the Studios. That doesn't mean that a Studio can't be as good of a player as a Custom, Historic or any other Les Paul. My '99 Les Paul Classic actually gets more playing time than my Les Paul Custom.

River

Reaction score
My apologies about the use of the words "low end." I guess I meant lower end of the line. At $1,000 +/- that is hardly a low end guitar. Thanks for the info guys! P.S. I'll have to listen to the P90s then...
I remember thinking they were just Standards with no binding - and that's what I still think, really. Low-end is Juniors, Specials, and Melody Makers, which are actually my favorites. The price difference between Studios and Standards belies their similarities, making them a great buy, IMO.

Medic1167

Reaction score
My Studio plays as well as any other Les Paul I've tried. Sounds and feels like the Custom but doesn't have that $3500 price tag.

acstorfer

Reaction score
For your question I would think more on the lines of Standard vs Custom. A studio is the same guitar minus the binding and on most models the pups. Of course weight relieved or chambered which i believe many Studio models have either/or. I would say there is quite a difference. Just the rosewood vs ebony fretboard will have much to do with that. Also the pickups are quite different on most studio and standard models vs the custom. I would say get the white studio with the ebony fretboard will get you mostly there, and the pups are the same as well.

budg

Reaction score
There are so many models of studio these days .Even the less expensive faded or worn studios have a maple cap .I own a studio deluxe which has just about everything the standard has (plus its weight-relieved) and nicer woods, so check around and see whats available.

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
I like the standard. I like the look of the binding and that it is a standard model. The studio probably plays and sounds just as well but for me I would save up and get the standard. It's an iconic model and worth the money. (for me)

CapM

Reaction score
It's not necessarily the money. It's my fear of "She Who Must Be Obeyed" in the event I get caught! :)

budg

Reaction score
It's not necessarily the money. It's my fear of "She Who Must Be Obeyed" in the event I get caught! :)
Ohhh.I had one of those once.Had to sell a kidney to buy a guitar.Maybe tell her the Standard is the bottom of the food chain.:cool:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Get a Studio with Burstbucker Pro pups, I think they are the best pickups that Gibson puts out. I like the 57's as well, but I still prefer the Burstbucker Pro's.

Bountyhunter

Reaction score
I have 2 Trad-Pros and my buddy plays an ebony studio. His guitar sounds just as good as mine do. The Studios are really good guitars, imo.

fairlanericky

Reaction score
Get an old 80's Studio with an alder body and cap, maple neck, rosewood fretboard w/ dot inlays, then throw in Sheptone AB's and then play the hell out of it.

:dude:

Sinster

Reaction score
I hate binding on my guitars.. That's why I prefer Studios. I do have 3 guitar with binding. My Epiphone Custom, Standard, and Bulldog kit. All my Gibson are binding free just like our Guitar forefathers had ;).. I want a guitar at it's purest form.

The Refugee

Reaction score
I love Studios

I love Standards.

Can't we all get along?

I want a Studio with P90s. That would be ROCKIN. I'm sure they have one but I'm just thinking OUT LOUD. ITS LEGAL.

acstorfer

Reaction score
Did you change the name of this post? Am I losing it or didn't it start out as
"Studio vs Custom" or something to that effect.

I mean it is totally possible I'm losing my mind.

Latest Threads