Standard mods to your Les Pauls?

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
The only things I do are:
1) strap-locks for sure because the location of the neck's strap button on a Les Paul is prone to coming off the strap unless you do something
2) metal pickup-selector-switch tip because it looks and feels better

Generally, that is it, though. I buy the specs that I want so I don't have to change stuff out. I also don't buy a bunch of Les Pauls to only play them sparingly because I have so many. Instead I have only a few that see a lot of playing time. I do have other nice guitars that definitely sit, though. But my Gibsons get played.

smk506

Reaction score
I put strap locks on everything except vintage pieces. I used to be an all Schaller guy, now I have a handful of dunlops in the mix.

No preference on the standard models, but I really like the flush mounting dunlops, they feel closest to no strap locks at all as far as the way your guitar hangs and I like the look.

Locking tuners have a way of showing up on most of my guitars at some point, but not all of them. I like the look of traditional kluson and Grover style tuners, plus I could buy a decent amp in what it would cost to do all my LP style guitars that don’t have them at this point.

I used to roll pickups through brand new guitars but I’ve settled down a lot with that. At one point I had 3-4 guitars with bill lawrence pickups though, those were a huge part of whatever sound I had.

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
The only thing stock on my les pauls are the body and neck. Everything has been replaced from the tuners, electronics, plastics, you name it.

gball

Reaction score
All get the longer (1.5") steel tailpiece studs.
All get steel jack plates.
If they come with uncovered pickups they get pickup covers.
If they come with Gibson Deluxe tuners they get Kluson Revolutions.
If they come with an ABR they get a brass Nashville.
If they come without a pickguard they get a pickguard.
I try both aluminum and zamak tailpieces on them all and keep whichever one sounds better.
If they come with those goofy textured back plates that were used during the Hank J years they get replaced for regular ones.
Other than that, just a good setup with my preferred strings and ready to rock. I hate strap locks so keep the stock buttons and hit the liquor store.

James R

Reaction score
The only automatic modifications I make to a Les Paul are strap locks and aesthetic stuff.
Strap locks are a must, I've dropped an LP due to not having them installed and don't plan on making that mistake twice.
I'm not a fan of speed knobs, so I change them to tophats and add pointers if they're not already equipped on the guitar, and I like the look of a blank truss cover and amber switch tip, so that happens on every one of them as well.

Other than that, I leave them alone unless something drives me to change it.
Keeps going out of tune?
Take a look at the nut and tuners.
Scratchy pots or intermittent switch that won't clean up with a can of deox?
Pull them and replace them.
That sort of thing.

I have a couple LPs with '50s wiring and P&O caps, and a couple with standard wiring and stock caps.
I've only ever changed pickups on three of my guitars, and only one of them was a Les Paul, the other two were Strats.

Overall, I try to buy guitars that I'm happy with as is, or at most, need minor and cheap stuff to get to where I want it.
It leaves me with more time to play it and less time working on it, and for me, that's the prize.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
After playing them awhile I will change to 50's style wiring most of the time. Pickups come after that if needed. Most Gibson humbuckers leave. Most Gibson p90's stay

JPummil

Reaction score
Very new to the modding thing...but did do the following to my LP Tribute recently:
  • Replace modern electronics with braided throughout
  • Upgraded to new harness with CTS pots and Luxe capacitors
  • Swapped out pickups (490's were just kind of blah)
  • Added pointers to the tophats.
I quite like the Kluson tuners personally...no plans on changing those.

Not to say that I'd do this to every LP that came around...far from it. But it seemed to be appropriate for this one anyway...

EasyAce

Reaction score
I did just a cosmetic mod on this Les Paul, based on reading what Lou Pallo himself preferred (but didn't get) and after trying it on one of those design-your-own websites and deciding I liked it enough to do it . . .

Before (I admit, not a great photograph):

1669150203706.png

After:

1669150235171.png

bluesoul

Reaction score
No mods unless I don't like the pickups. I have locking straps btw!

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dunlop strap locks.

Full fretboard prep of 3000 grid, and or scotchbright pads, full dunlop fretboard cleaning and oil.

Top wrap, although I've gotten lazy with that lately.

Preferred light top bottom heavy strings, and make sure the nut is cut right with a good total setup that includes hand fret leveling.

I often change the knobs since manyof the factory Gibson are crappy.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
If they come with uncovered pickups they get pickup covers.
If they come with Gibson Deluxe tuners they get Kluson Revolutions.
Both good moves.
I don’t like uncovered pickups, for a number of reasons.
Before I knew about the Kluson Revolutions, I did the Grover swap on a couple of Les Pauls that still have the extra holes in the back of the headstock.
If they come without a pickguard they get a pickguard.
WHAT?
:)
Pickguards came off of every Les Paul ever owned, with the sole exception of my Black Beauty.
It was just part of the look for the guitar.
If they come with those goofy textured back plates that were used during the Hank J years they get replaced for regular ones.
I can understand that.
I’ve never had the textured ones on any of my guitars, but it would definitely remind me of Henry J and they would have to go.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
I often change the knobs since manyof the factory Gibson are crappy.
Top hat knobs on everything, reflectors on some of them.
I guess I prefer top hats because I started out on Strat style guitars.
I never cared for speed knobs.

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the most part, I leave my guitars alone. My Tribute was so cheap that I spent more than I paid for it on parts swaps. The LPMM has only had covers and knobs, and my '59 reissue MM has had a pickup and knob swap.
I don't use strap locks at all. The large head Gibson strap buttons work fine, especially with a rubber washer.

zube

Reaction score
• Amber switch tip
• Blank truss rod cover
• Locking tuners
• Pickup covers

Last edited:

searswashere

Reaction score
No standard mods here, just set up to my preference. None of my LP's have needed modding, though a few of them have gotten the treatment anyway.

Latest Threads