Standard mods to your Les Pauls?

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
For you experienced Les Paul owners, having more than one or two pass through your hands, are there any standard modifications you do to them as a matter of course?

I have a few mods that have become the norm for me with any guitar I buy.

Schaller strap pins for instance.
With Danco 00 faucet washers under them instead of the felt.

Years ago, I started putting locking tuners on everything.
I don't think I even remember how to wrap a string around a tuning post...
:facepalm:

For Gibsons, Les Pauls in particular, first thing to go is the plastic jack plate.
I keep a couple extra metal ones around just in case.

Now with this Lightning Guitars angle-drilled tailpiece, I think I may have added another standard Les Paul mod to the list.
Probably going to order several more in addition to the two I just installed.

So what about you seasoned Les Paul veterans?
What are the changes you already know you're going to make as soon as you get a new one home?

Top wrap? :naughty:

Last edited:

Colnago1

Reaction score
Why the rubber washers instead of felt under the strap pins? Aren’t you afraid of a reaction between the rubber and the nitrocellulose lacquer that Gibson uses whereas felt is non reactive/inert?

I always do the Schallers lock pins as well. Depending on model of Les Paul, I’ll pull the plate that the electronics are mounted to or remove the PCB and rewire it all 50’s style while changing out the caps to the flavour of the week.

I’ll install an amber switch tip if it doesn’t have one already and I usually ditch any truss rod cover with writing on it in exchange for a blank one.

Nitrocellulose lacquer is delicate and soft, so I’ve began giving Gibsons a coat of 100% Carnuba wax to add a little bit of protection as well.
I think that’s about all I do to a new to me Les Paul.
Enjoy yours! It would be nice to see some pictures!!!

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ditch the strap locks.
Just the little aluminum LP style with rubber washers (Fenders) is fine.

I like to have the guitar hang directly on the strap: no mechanism that can unthread. I don’t need to unhook anything, just fold the strap in the case with its guitar.

Leee

Reaction score
Why the rubber washers instead of felt under the strap pins? Aren’t you afraid of a reaction between the rubber and the nitrocellulose lacquer that Gibson uses whereas felt is non reactive/inert?
The screws sit deeper down in the Schaller strap pin, rather than out at the end of the Gibson pins.
So the washer serves as a spacer.
Also gets the sharp corners of the strap lock a little further away from the finish.

Also, the rubber is quite stiff and gives only slightly.
It's easy to tell when sufficient pressure is applied with the mounting screw, as it will begin to bulge slightly.
At this point, it will never compress further and become loose - like every felt washer I've ever had on dozens of guitars.

The material is safe on nitro finishes, at least it has been on the Gibsons I've had them on for 20 years now.

... I’ve began giving Gibsons a coat of 100% Carnuba wax to add a little bit of protection as well.
I've done control mods, eventually, on most Gibsons I've owned.
And truss rod covers.

The Carnuba wax is a great idea.
I've considered it, but never actually done it.
Probably should.

Last edited:

Knoby

Reaction score
My standard mods include:
1. Replace reflector knobs with normal top hats.
2. Replace grovers with kluson
3. Buckle rash on the back
4. Finger grease on the fretboard

Non standard mods
1. Maybe swap pickups around to experiment. Different types of gibson pickups.
2. Titanium saddles.

Leee

Reaction score
I like the Keystones!
I finally found a couple of sets of lockers with the Keystone button.
They will go on a couple of Les Paul Customs I have.

These are the Danco 00 1/2” flat faucet washers I use.
They are at most home improvement stores.

The material is stable with nitro finishes.
I will testify that I have an ES-335 and a couple Les Pauls in my home for over 20 years now with these washers.
No hint of discoloration.

I would not suggest using any other brand, because I don’t know what materials they might use.

E43B5F15-9227-41D0-8E68-F5275AD651F4.jpeg
DB117DF3-D68F-45C4-8891-8B23B962E5FE.jpeg

Zungle

Reaction score
No standard mods....

If I like a guitar most of the time I'm fine leaving it how I bought it....

Unless it needs repair....

Didn't used to be that way....but as I've grown old I appreciate the little things in each guitar.......

I do immediately change strings on every guitar to these.....

Leee

Reaction score
No standard mods....
I do immediately change strings on every guitar to these.....
I like as much nickel content as I can get.
I was running D’Addario tens for a long time, but I’ve gone back to the DR Pure Blues solid nickel strings.
10-46.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
For you experienced Les Paul owners, having more than one or two pass through your hands, are there any standard modifications you do to them as a matter of course?

I have a few mods that have become the norm for me with any guitar I buy.

Schaller strap pins for instance.
With Danco 00 faucet washers under them instead of the felt.

Years ago, I started putting locking tuners on everything.
I don't think I even remember how to wrap a string around a tuning post...
:facepalm:

For Gibsons, Les Pauls in particular, first thing to go is the plastic jack plate.
I keep a couple extra metal ones around just in case.

Now with this Lightning Guitars angle-drilled tailpiece, I think I may have added another standard Les Paul mod to the list.
Probably going to order several more in addition to the two I just installed.

So what about you seasoned Les Paul veterans?
What are the changes you already know you're going to make as soon as you get a new one home?

Top wrap? :naughty:

The only thing I do on every LP is add Schaller Strap Locks. Any other mods would depend upon the exact guitar, although most of mine were left original (except for the strap locks).

AJK1

Reaction score
I’ve broken in every LP I own by leaning them up against my amp turning it up loud and letting it feedback for an hour or so, it just lets the guitar smooth out and create synergy with my amp

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had plenty of les pauls back in the day I did nothing to. I tried various after market pickups in my reissues and tbh it was all a waste of time/money.

Now I am a bit wise to the game, I would only do a mod if guitar patently needed it. Like I did put a new set of pickups in my newly bought standard because I didn't like the ones that were in for the sound I was after. The ones fitted in that guitar were a higher output A5, I fitted a lower output A4. Although I don't like ceramics so they would always go.

Peter M

Reaction score
The first thing I do is remove pup covers, if they are there. Then I string it with 9s. Finally I put top hat reflector knobs on, because I find them the most comfortable to grab and roll. That's pretty much it.

Oh yeah... and blank truss rod cover.

And I do not install strap locks. I instead install oversized buttons, which are fine for everyday use...then I secure them with rubber washers for gigs.

Last edited:

Leee

Reaction score
I don't like ceramics so they would always go.
My 2000 Les Paul Classic got a set of Burstbucker Pros in place of the original ceramics 20 years ago.
I agree 100% there.

Other than that, the only Les Paul pickups I ever changed were due to the originals going microphonic.
As a general rule, I will not buy unpotted pickups.
I’ve had terrible luck with them.

Latest Threads