Standard Faded Color Change?

leofender55

Reaction score
I recently moved to another state and had to store a lot of my guitars & amps at my friend's studio. It took me about 6 months to retrieve them, then had them stored at my house for 3 months before I got around to checking them out. Everything was as I remembered them, until I opened the case on my 2005 Standard Faded. I was surprised that the color had changed from a honey burst to more of a flat single color. But the flame was more pronounced than I remember. A big improvement in my eyes. Any other Faded owners experienced this?

Left Paw

Reaction score
Moe flame is usually not a problem. Guitars stored in cases usually don't fade, so that is a curious reaction if indeed true.

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
Found your NGD thread from April 2014. Accounting for the different lighting (the recent photo looks dark), it doesn’t look like it changed much. If anything, it looks like it got darker around the edges.

You sure you didn’t just forget what it looked like after not seeing it for 9 months?

EAABFB39-13EA-4EBD-AA48-E39E04D4070B.jpeg

Reaction score
My apologies, I noticed that the link to the photo didn't upload. I checked with my buddy and in fact he was playing the guitar and had it out in his studio, not in the case as I thought. Anyway, here is how it looks today. When I got it several years back, the sunburst was more defined. I dig it this way.

Cool flame pattern! Enjoy reacquainting yourself with that cool guitar.

leofender55

Reaction score
Found your NGD thread from April 2014. Accounting for the different lighting (the recent photo looks dark), it doesn’t look like it changed much. If anything, it looks like it got darker around the edges.

You sure you didn’t just forget what it looked like after not seeing it for 9 months?

View attachment 388327
Thanks for looking it up. I did compare the pics and it is definitely darker now. I might have not remembered exactly what it was like in person. One of the "problems" of having too many guitars!

Biddlin

Reaction score
I recently moved to another state and had to store a lot of my guitars & amps at my friend's studio. It took me about 6 months to retrieve them, then had them stored at my house for 3 months before I got around to checking them out. Everything was as I remembered them, until I opened the case on my 2005 Standard Faded. I was surprised that the color had changed from a honey burst to more of a flat single color. But the flame was more pronounced than I remember. A big improvement in my eyes. Any other Faded owners experienced this?
I wonder what would happen if you did a through cleaning? A coat of oil and dead skin cells can darken a finish.

jkes01

Reaction score
I dig it either way. But it is interesting the color change. Your buddy’s studio have any windows? Is he a smoker?

Latest Threads