Standard 60’s video, flipped bridge pickup doesn’t sound too bad!

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Now that I know I’m keeping her, I thought I’d share I video I made of some tones with my new Standard 60’s if anyone curious to hear the pickup that caused all the fuss.

As you guys know, the bridge pickup was put in backwards and of course in my excitement I didn’t notice in the shop...but in the end guess it worked out, otherwise I would have passed up on a good guitar. Thanks to everyone who posted in that thread and helped me figure out what was going on. I feel better keeping it knowing it’s all original, and untampered.

I’ll try to do a video of tones with the bridge pickup flipped back in the correct position, see if there’s any difference. But I thought I’d record it in it’s original form. Gonna dust her off and adjust the pickup heights too.

Dont mind my rambling at the start, or my average playing. :p
You can skip ahead to the playing at 02:25. I put time stamps in the description to skip around to different sounds.

Last edited:

Dark Horse

Reaction score
That does sound really good. Still waiting on my 60's Standard to arrive. Can't recall if it was on his Les Paul but I know Jimmy Page had upside down pick ups on one of his guitars.

Love the early 80's metal sounds around the 5 min mark.

Which burst style did you get, I can't quite tell from the footage?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
That does sound really good. Still waiting on my 60's Standard to arrive. Can't recall if it was on his Les Paul but I know Jimmy Page had upside down pick ups on one of his guitars.

Love the early 80's metal sounds around the 5 min mark.

Which burst style did you get, I can't quite tell from the footage?
Congrats on the standard 60’s, hope it arrives soon! They’re awesome guitars, I really liked the slimmer necks with the hotter pickups. What finish is yours in?

Jimmy Page is the reason I got into Les Pauls, that’s awesome to know. I’ll have to see which guitar had it.

Thanks! I really wanted to get an LP that could cover the 80’s hard rock and metal tones well, so I’m happy with this one so far. I originally wanted something with 498T/490R combo but these 61R/T pickups do pretty well with high gain.

The finish on mine is triburst. Unfortunately it was cloudy and dark the day I recorded, so the video didn’t capture the finish too well. Here’s a better picture in the sunlight which shows the finish better.

Dark Horse

Reaction score
Congrats on the standard 60’s, hope it arrives soon! They’re awesome guitars, I really liked the slimmer necks with the hotter pickups. What finish is yours in?

Jimmy Page is the reason I got into Les Pauls, that’s awesome to know. I’ll have to see which guitar had it.

Thanks! I really wanted to get an LP that could cover the 80’s hard rock and metal tones well, so I’m happy with this one so far. I originally wanted something with 498T/490R combo but these 61R/T pickups do pretty well with high gain.

The finish on mine is triburst. Unfortunately it was cloudy and dark the day I recorded, so the video didn’t capture the finish too well. Here’s a better picture in the sunlight which shows the finish better.

Mine is a Bourbon burst.

I have a studio LP which has the 498/490 combo it is a really warm sound which I love but when I played the 50's standard I found that it was a similar-ish sound and so like yourself shifted to the 60's version as it plays really well with the metal sound.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Mine is a Bourbon burst.

I have a studio LP which has the 498/490 combo it is a really warm sound which I love but when I played the 50's standard I found that it was a similar-ish sound and so like yourself shifted to the 60's version as it plays really well with the metal sound.
Nice! Bourbon burst was my other favorite finish for the standard 60’s, I was between that and triburst.

That’s true, I don’t find these 61R/T to be as warm or thick as the 498/490. They have their own sound which works. It’s good you’ll have variety. I’d like to have both pickup sets some day.

Latest Threads