Standard 50s or 60s... what to do?

John Vasco

I was with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And @kysrsoze, here is a prime example of what I was talking about in my previous post:
'...I was in the same boat as you last year. I wanted a Les Paul Standard and preferred the BB1/BB2 over the 61R/61T. I’ve always preferred thin necks like the [email protected] fret/0.88 @12th fret on my Suhr and never got along with thicker necks. I owned a PRS SE245 for 8 years ([email protected] fret/0.94 @12th fret) and every time I picked it up I wished the neck was thinner, I never got used to it.

I tried a bunch of ’50s Standard/60s Standard/Classics and came back to the thinner necks every time. I narrowed it down to the ‘60s Standard and the Classic and ended up buying the Classic. Deciding factors for the Classic over the ‘60s Standard were: 1) my favorite LP color is Honeyburst, 2) I actually prefer modern wiring, 3) I like and use 3 out of the 4 of the “pull” tones, 4) I got a much better discount on the Classic. This particular guitar measures [email protected] fret/0.90 12th fret.
Once I adjusted the pickup heights and pole pieces I forgot all about the BB1/BB2...'

See what I mean...?

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score

InTheEvening

Reaction score
From personal experience, I wouldn’t write off a thicker neck too fast. I’ve always been a hard core slim taper neck guy but I picked up a Les Paul Junior with a beefier 50s profile last year and really liked it. It doesn’t feel the same as my slim neck guitars but I liked the variety/different feel and it was still very comfortable. I’d get a few standard 50s your hands if you can and see how you feel.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
1 The name's not Francis, it's John (in case you haven't fuckin' realised!).
2 '...What I meant was adjusting the tone wasn’t going to make the 60’s sound like the 50’s, or vice versa....' Well, you didn't say that, did you. Do you think we are all fuckin' mind-readers? Can you really tell the difference between a '50s Les Paul and a '60s Les Paul, across the many thousands of them? (No need to go into the Richards v Clapton v Bloomfield v Kossof v Page v Green v Taylor etc...) All different guitar settings and different amps and different amp settings and different studio dynamics...
3 '...You gonna be OK after all that hyperventilating?...' I don't hyperventilate, I take the piss out of people like you. People like you who haven't got a sense of humour, and wouldn't know a joke/piss-take if it twatted you around the head! GOT IT???

Now, sod off back to your bedroom and ponder on all the different options that has got YOU hyperventilating. Alternatively, do as I suggest in my first post and actually GO TO A SHOP, OR SHOPS, play as many as you can, and select the one that suits you best. Then plug it in, switch amp on, and play the shit out of it! You see, people like you come on here and ask a load of stupid questions, instead of getting out there and finding out the answer for yourself!

He wants us all to be sweet little bunnies and play nicely, Leee.
Wow, lighten up Francis. :laugh2: :rofl:

John Vasco

I was with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow, lighten up Francis. :laugh2: :rofl:
The only Francis I know is that guy named Rossi who was known for playing guitar a bit...

By the way, who the feck (Irish corruption of a certain word) is this Francis who keeps getting mentioned. Is he on MLP? Is he famous?

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There's a bit too much acrimony to be found within this thread, folks.

I do hope you'll all just sit back, take a breath, and realize that this particular subject isn't actually a subject that's even worthy of debate.

I am not addressing any specific individual in here, mind you-- that is, none of you needs to present a case for your personal defense here. We understand that sometimes such subjects as that which is currently under discussion will lead to disagreements.

But when things start getting a bit too hot, or we start seeing too many reports regarding the behavior of members in a thread, what ultimately happens is that we just lock the thread altogether.

We don't want to do that.
Therefore, I'd ask each member to kindly take a step back for a moment or two and to consider that there is no "winning" a debate concerning the sort of personal preferences that have been stated within this thread.

Eventually, it all goes to ad hominem and snarkastic statements made to irk one's fellow members, and we get enough of that down in The Backstage.

Please chill out some, friends. The alternative is for us to find this thread locked.

Thank you all,
Robert :thumb:

Leee

Reaction score
By the way, who the feck (Irish corruption of a certain word) is this Francis who keeps getting mentioned. Is he on MLP? Is he famous?
I think this may be another one of those cultural divides.
Pop culture thing.
Like your “gobshite” thing.

From a movie or American TV show, but I don’t recall which one.

It’s a common phrase here in the Colonies.

mjross

Reaction score
There's a bit too much acrimony to be found within this thread, folks.

I do hope you'll all just sit back, take a breath, and realize that this particular subject isn't actually a subject that's even worthy of debate.

I am not addressing any specific individual in here, mind you-- that is, none of you needs to present a case for your personal defense here. We understand that sometimes such subjects as that which is currently under discussion will lead to disagreements.

But when things start getting a bit too hot, or we start seeing too many reports regarding the behavior of members in a thread, what ultimately happens is that we just lock the thread altogether.

We don't want to do that. Therefore, I'd ask each member to kindly take a step back for a moment or two and to consider that there is no "winning" a debate concerning the sort of personal preferences that have been stated within this thread.

Eventually, it all goes to ad hominem and snarkastic statements made to irk one's fellow members, and we get enough of that down in The Backstage.

Please chill out some, friends. The alternative is for us to find this thread locked.

Thank you all,
Robert :thumb:
Thank you Sir!

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think this may be another one of those cultural divides.
Pop culture thing.
Like your “gobshite” thing.

It's a reference from the Bill Murray movie, "Stripes".

There's a scene in the film where a recruit is warning his fellow recruits never to mess with him. He tells the others, "I'll kill you for xxx, and I'll kill you for yyy, and I'll even kill you for zzz..."

The drill sergeant shakes his head slightly and says to the character, whose name is Francis, "Lighten up, Francis!"

This statement has been echoed on the Internet ever since, usually as one member is telling another member to calm down.

--R

Leee

Reaction score
It's a reference from the Bill Murray movie, "Stripes". …
The drill sergeant shakes his head slightly and says to the character, whose name is Francis, "Lighten up, Francis!

Stripes!
Of course!

Thanks Roberteaux!

roberty

Reaction score
I used to obsess over neck profiles and I let a few good ones go because of that which I now regret

I came to a realisation that (bear with me on this) there are no uncomfortable necks, just uncomfortable hands. You can make your hand comfortable by adjusting your positioning. Think about thumb position and how perpendicular your fingers are to the fretboard

I have a variety of guitars with necks of all sizes now and I enjoy playing them all. Once you've bonded with an individual instrument you can switch to it without thinking

Another thing that helped me get over the neck thing was learning the bass. If you can switch between bass and guitar then switching between different guitars should be no problem

TL;DR get the fat one ;p

mjross

Reaction score
I used to obsess over neck profiles and I let a few good ones go because of that which I now regret

I came to a realisation that (bear with me on this) there are no uncomfortable necks, just uncomfortable hands. You can make your hand comfortable by adjusting your positioning. Think about thumb position and how perpendicular your fingers are to the fretboard

I have a variety of guitars with necks of all sizes now and I enjoy playing them all. Once you've bonded with an individual instrument you can switch to it without thinking

Another thing that helped me get over the neck thing was learning the bass. If you can switch between bass and guitar then switching between different guitars should be no problem

TL;DR get the fat one ;p
Totally agree! I have a few guitars and the necks are all over the place, but I enjoy them all. In my 55+ years of gigging necks have never been an issue with me, I play what ever is in my hands at the time!

Leee

Reaction score
If you can switch between bass and guitar then switching between different guitars should be no problem
There’s definitely something to having a bass to play.
I usually have one around, but I don’t do much with it.
And when I do, my playing is very different.
I don’t do chord figures, for instance.

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only necks I dislike are the thin ones. some slim tapers are negotiable, but I wouldn't buy or want to play a "shredder" thin neck. I have to curl my fingers too far.

I like a fat neck on Fenders and Gibsons.

Get the '50s ;)

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The only Francis I know is that guy named Rossi who was known for playing guitar a bit...

Yes, the OP and myself were joking with you. The reference like stated above is from the movie Stripes.

Latest Threads