Standard 50s or 60s... what to do?

kysrsoze

Reaction score
Hey, all.

I've been looking at finally getting an LP Standard, but am sort of stuck. I absolutely love the look of both, but more importantly, the vintage-y sound of the 50s model. The woody clean sounds are sublime, and I really love the overdriven sound too. But the neck feels a lot thicker than i'm used to - already have an SG, slim-taper Studio, Special and a bunch of Fender types.

The neck on the 60s is much more comfortable, but I feel like it's going to sound too much like my other 2-pickup guitars and be a waste. The Classic seems like essentially the same thing as the 60s - slim neck and 61T/61R pickups. I don't think playing with the tone controls is going to change the overall character of either one.

I could get a 60s and swap pickups for BB1/BB2. I'm assuming that would make the 60s pretty much sound like a 50s, but I've seen a lot of remarks that the sound of the 50s is due in part to the neck (not sure whether that's true or fluff). Has anybody swapped to BB1/BB2 on a 60s model?

I'm thinking I'll get used to the 50s and be happier in the long run, but i'm not completely sure of that. Thoughts?

John Vasco

I was with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Right bollocks, this is what you do:
1. Go into a shop that has shitloads of Les Pauls.
2. Play the shit out of as many as they will let you.
3. Decide which one you like the best.
4. Buy the fucker and walk out of the shop with it!

'...I don't think playing with the tone controls is going to change the overall character of either one...' Really? Are you fuckin' joking???

Friday fuckin' syndrome again!!!!!!!!!!!!

gball

Reaction score
Standard 50s this year and get a classic next year for the 60s neck/feel…plus they are very different animals and cover a lot of ground

-chris

Yeah, very different feel for sure. I love em both, but if I had to choose only one it would be the '60s/Classic Slim Taper - its faster and more comfortable for long stretches.

As far as the pickups, that's pretty subjective. I think the '61 bridge is more versatile than the BB2, but the BB1 in the neck is spectacular and better than the '61R.

Another nod to the '60s is the Grover tuners, which are light years better than the Deluxes on the '50s

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
60s neck, 57 Classic pickups.
DONE.

:wave:

OK, seriously, if the neck feels big to you, then I don’t recommend it.
In my experience, I tried to get used to thicker necks, and after a decade or so, I finally gave up.

I bought and sold a lot of guitars…

It’s 60 slim taper on everything I own.

Pickup swaps are the least of your worries.

Gridlock

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a big fan the Standard ‘50s. I prefer the bigger neck, the less-hot pickups, and Kluson style tuners. I think for me though, the deciding factor is the neck size.

I actually sold my last R7 Goldtop and kept my Standard ‘50s Goldtop because the neck on my 2016 R7 was smaller than my 2021 Standard ‘50s neck.

F3160DFE-B7EB-479E-BD89-526764641D65.jpeg

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, very different feel for sure. I love em both, but if I had to choose only one it would be the '60s/Classic Slim Taper - its faster and more comfortable for long stretches.

As far as the pickups, that's pretty subjective. I think the '61 bridge is more versatile than the BB2, but the BB1 in the neck is spectacular and better than the '61R.

Another nod to the '60s is the Grover tuners, which are light years better than the Deluxes on the '50s

same…classics rule :h5:

-chris

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a big fan the Standard ‘50s. I prefer the bigger neck, the less-hot pickups, and Kluson style tuners. I think for me though, the deciding factor is the neck size.

I actually sold my last R7 Goldtop and kept my Standard ‘50s Goldtop because the neck on my 2016 R7 was smaller than my 2021 Standard ‘50s neck.

View attachment 665136

DDEAF200-6296-462E-9F43-6B979D7AA007.gif

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Hey, all.

I've been looking at finally getting an LP Standard, but am sort of stuck. I absolutely love the look of both, but more importantly, the vintage-y sound of the 50s model. The woody clean sounds are sublime, and I really love the overdriven sound too. But the neck feels a lot thicker than i'm used to - already have an SG, slim-taper Studio, Special and a bunch of Fender types.

The neck on the 60s is much more comfortable, but I feel like it's going to sound too much like my other 2-pickup guitars and be a waste. The Classic seems like essentially the same thing as the 60s - slim neck and 61T/61R pickups. I don't think playing with the tone controls is going to change the overall character of either one.

I could get a 60s and swap pickups for BB1/BB2. I'm assuming that would make the 60s pretty much sound like a 50s, but I've seen a lot of remarks that the sound of the 50s is due in part to the neck (not sure whether that's true or fluff). Has anybody swapped to BB1/BB2 on a 60s model?

I'm thinking I'll get used to the 50s and be happier in the long run, but i'm not completely sure of that. Thoughts?
Don't get the 50's, because once you get past the Honeymoon Phase, you have a guitar that has a neck that is too big for you to like. I wanted the 2017 Yellow Widow Burst Les Paul Custom, and the neck was a Medium C neck, not huge but still on the bigger side like the 50's. I of course have other guitars with Slim Taper 60's necks as well and in the long run, I just did not like the bigger necks. Sold the Custom for a $1200 loss, it just would not sell for close to what I paid even though it was in like new condition. Now... The 60's Standard is a Slim Taper C neck and it is perfect, not too thick and not too slim, just perfect for my taste. Luckily, the Classic is not too slim either, it is just a tad slimmer than the 60's Standard.

If I were you, I would get the 60's Standard and get the pickups you like in it, or save a little bit of money, get the Classic, wipe out the guts and have it hand wired 50's style wiring and put the pickups you want in it.

I love my Classic, just super sweet for sure. The best Gibson Les Paul I have ever received, and this one will we be with me forever.

lpclassic_stickers.jpg

I took the BB 2/3's out of my Joe Bonamassa Lazarus and put in the Seymour Duncan Slash pickups, they are just the right amount of power, not overdone at all. Similar to BB 1/2's, but I think they are a step up from them, so sweet and smooth.

lazarus_slash_afd.jpg

I took the 57 Classic pair out of my 2014 Les Paul Signature, they were kind of bright for my taste and I put the BB 2/3's that I pulled out of Lazarus above in this LP Signature. I also had them take the PCB out of this and hand wire it 50's style. I left the DB Boost switch and had them change it to a kill switch, always wanted one of those in a guitar.

lpsignewpups2.jpg

Last edited:

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Get the 60s Standard and consider a pickup switch after you have time to live with it. My guess is the Standard will be different enough to warrant staying just the way it is. But if not, then get some new pickups for it down the road.

rjwilson37

Reaction score

I like the look of the Vintage Kluson tuners, so I changed out the Grover Kidney's on my Classic to the Kluson Revolution Locking Tuners, they look sweet and are locking Keystone type tuners. Stays perfectly tuned for days.

Kluson5.jpg

Kluson4.jpg

madhermit

Reaction score
Hey, all.

I got a 60s for the slim neck and I wanted it in Iced Tea. I stumbled across a guy with a special run 50s in Iced Tea who wanted to swap. We met up to try them out. I loved the bigger neck more than I thought I would. I also have an SG with a slim taper. I have rarely come across a neck I can’t play though. I also wanted the Burstbucker pickups as I already had the 61s in my SG, just for variety. Just my experience. I say go for the 50s.

gball

Reaction score
I like the look of the Vintage Kluson tuners, so I changed out the Grover Kidney's on my Classic to the Kluson Revolution Locking Tuners, they look sweet and are locking Keystone type tuners. Stays perfectly tuned for days.

View attachment 665189
View attachment 665190

I put revolutions on all my Les Pauls that came stock with Deluxe tuners. I get the ones with the metal buttons. They are pretty much the best tuners I have used other than Schallers, but I do like it when a guitar comes stock with Grovers - I have the same olive drab Classic as you and left them on, and I recently picked up a Studio with them (that's a cool guitar - one of the Zzound/AMS exclusives with gold hardware).

Knoby

Reaction score
Its easier to swap pickups than to swap a neck.

Go for what feels best to you not what a stranger on tge internet says.

I got a 60s neck for the same reason. I could never do a 50 neck.

Then i swapped the 61 pickups for BBs. Didnt notice much difference so swapped them back.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Worth noting an LP Classic is a D shape compared to a 60's standard C, unless something has changed.
Yes, but not super slim like a lot of Slim Taper 60's necks from the past. A very comfortable Slim Taper neck for sure.

Latest Threads