Stage Clothes

splatter

Reaction score
Have you ever noticed how most people /bands just don't have the rock and roll look on stage? By that I mean the non pro's or the semi pros.
go to this thread https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/your-coolest-stage-pic-contest.424006/ and you will see what I'm talking about.
It doesn't matter the pose or the gear there is something about the appearance of most of the bands that just screams "amature".
Now I'm not pointing fingers or trying to piss anyone off.I've seen pics of my self on stage that say the same thing. Of corse in my case the lack of hair doesn't help.
Now go look at this page https://www.google.com/search?q=doug+aldrich&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjg97XJh7LjAhWEWc0KHZ2YCf8Q_AUIECgB&biw=1024&bih=503

You may not be a fan of Doug's but to me, every pic on that page says rock star.
Is it the clothes or the necklaces or just the fact that he is a rock star ?

BKS

Reaction score
Oh hell, he does not need clothes at all! Only the guitar is enough :run::drool:

MV5BYzk3YmU4ZWQtMmUyZi00MDgwLTg4MjctMWVjNTEzNzgyMmRmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

defcrew

Reaction score
Your unintentional misspelling of amatuer as amature might be a little prescient. I think for most of us bar band weekend warrior types--esp when on the wrong side of 30--that dressing up as a rock star is the height of bufoonery. Its arguable that anyone dressing up as a rock star in 2019 is bufoonery, cartoonery. I guess the pitch could be made that such attire requires an audacity or self confidence that might also be seen as pretentiousness or self delusion. All this said, there's a band that has been playing the SE for decades that dress up like rock stars and make bank. College girls and people who know not much about music love them. Lights, glitter, smoke, spandex--it's 1986 and we're in Madison Square Garden! Pay no attention to the Man Behind the Curtain or the guy throwing darts six feet left of the bass player.

Just my take. The whole trad rock star look with the vest and no shirt, teased hair, leather and feathers has seemed ridiculous to me since, well, it first came out. There is a suspension of reality in any performance and I guess most of us feel silly suspended like that. YMMV

James R

Premium Member
Reaction score
Dress for the job you want, not the job that you have. :laugh2:

Personally, I think average weekend warrior dudes donning spandex or leather (or whatever the Rock Star Look entails these days) is exactly as @defcrew said... buffoonish, at best.
But hey, let your freak flag fly, makes no difference what I think while you’re up there living life.
If it makes you happy, it can’t be that bad.
(I can’t believe I just typed that :facepalm:)

James R

Premium Member
Reaction score
^ Cool guitar.
I don’t know why, but sparkly guitars are really catching my eye these days.
So much so that I’m refinishing a Warmoth single cut with some incredible looking colour shifting glitter/sparkle very soon.

Stevie 202

Reaction score
Used to dress ‘rock ‘n roll’ when I was young, thin and had flowing elbow length hair.

Once I passed 40 it started to feel stupid, so I quit.

For the last times I played out, I dressed all in black, boots shades and fedora.

These days I just throw on whatever’s clean.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Its arguable that anyone dressing up as a rock star in 2019 is bufoonery, cartoonery.

Just my take. The whole trad rock star look with the vest and no shirt, teased hair, leather and feathers has seemed ridiculous to me since, well, it first came out. There is a suspension of reality in any performance and I guess most of us feel silly suspended like that. YMMV

Amen. The music is what's important to me, as seems to be most important to the actual performer.... Rather than put on a fake "oh this is how I dress all the time" persona, I'd rather see someone dress "genuine"... I think it reveals a lot about how the person actually is if you just ran into them on the street. Just my opinion.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The specific fashion is variable depending on genre, age, audience etc...

The real question I think is much deeper than just fashion, but one of "stagecraft". That's the art of how everything appears. Everything. From the moment you walk into the venue. The stage, the lighting, the clothing, the way the musicians carry themselves....
Stagecraft is all about creating an illusion, a perception, a world that is special.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think a band should wear something different from the crowd, and something that unifies....I'm not talking gold or pinstripes...

I wore black or blue jeans, and what we did was wear a shirt that tied the band together, we did little rascals shirts, Three Stooges shirts, WC Fields....Marylin Monroe....whatever that was from an earlier time. usually film that anyone would recognize. People noticed. it was subtle but unifying.

I wore a black leather vest on top, some one else had a cut off jean jacket.. I would also encompass skull and crossbones in there somewhere.

Never flashy....We did, for outdoor, hot summer gigs wear shorts....but we stayed with unifying Tshirts….there is a picture of me wearing a Beatles shirt....that day we all wore a beatle album cover …..

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
^ Cool guitar.
I don’t know why, but sparkly guitars are really catching my eye these days.
So much so that I’m refinishing a Warmoth single cut with some incredible looking colour shifting glitter/sparkle very soon.

You know those white cars that have a pearl paintjob where the colors shift like oil? The reflection looks blue/ purple/ pink/etc? Like its white but as you move around the car you can see other colors somehow?

I want a guitar that does that!

Roxy13

Reaction score
I've never cared very much about what musicians look like. I just want to enjoy the music.

I also agree that a bar band dressed like 70s and 80s rock stars would be grandiose and I'd probably be rolling my eyes about it.

However, if you are playing a wedding or formal event you should probably dress appropriately.

I have a friend that is always watching YT reviews of gear and making fun of the posters' appearances. I think he's ridiculous. You went to watch that vid to hear a demo of the amp, who cares if the guitarist is overweight or looks like a nerd or has hair you don't like?!

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You know those white cars that have a pearl paintjob where the colors shift like oil? The reflection looks blue/ purple/ pink/etc? Like its white but as you move around the car you can see other colors somehow?

I've done that. Painted a Les Paul with that stuff. It's called Chameleon paint. And IT IS EXPENSIVE!

James R

Premium Member
Reaction score

Dude, I have so many great ideas, I’m going to become a refin machine here soon.
My girl is heavy into crafting, she uses these awesome mica powders and colour shifting glitters and all that really cool stuff for her custom tumblers/travel mugs, etc.
I look at these things she makes and my first thought is always Man, that would look great as a guitar finish.
So many cool mediums to work with, but it’s going to be quite a learning curve for me to work with them, so I’m starting small with a (hopefully) epic looking sparkle guitar.

ETA:
So far I have plans for the Warmoth single cut, one of my teles, on of my Strats, my mustang, and an old Epi Standard that I’ve already refinished once.
Gonna’ make them all unique to me.

Edit #2:

The pics don’t do it justice, but this is the stuff I’m doing the Warmoth in:
DFFE4FDD-1757-4798-85CD-F23ECE60EC45.jpeg
0DD6BFEC-5037-47EC-812C-847DF161BCCB.jpeg
0631F920-E916-45AB-97A8-EAFA6F27FE2F.jpeg

Last edited:

My Les Paul Classifieds