SSSSSneaky SSSSSSnake Lady

PABassPlayer

Reaction score
I couldn't find the original thread about the snake (and other stuff in my back yard) I managed to get a few better pics of my back yard visitor. You can see the colors better, so perhaps you can better help me identify what type of snake it is.

If anyone else has any info...

Oh, and it had babies, I have 3 small snakes (6-7 inches) that have the same colors/markings.

A little blurry, but you can see the coloring and markings well...

PABassPlayer

Reaction score
Possibly a Northern Water Snake? These pics are from the PA fish and game site...they are "kind of" similar....but not the same.

SneakySnakeLady

The Goat Lady
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
without a doubt a northern water snake. The pattern and coloring on these snakes can vary a whole lot, so the pics might not be a perfect match up, but you can tell from the head shape and body type

Deftone

Reaction score
My wife LOVES snakes and lizards. She's always catching them and she's so pleased with herself when she does. Mosly just Gardner snakes and the occasional Gopher Snake.

SneakySnakeLady

The Goat Lady
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife LOVES snakes and lizards. She's always catching them and she's so pleased with herself when she does. Mosly just Gardner snakes and the occasional Gopher Snake.
I have a 16 year old Gopher snake :) Had him since I was a kid- we ''grew up'' together

PABassPlayer

Reaction score
Thanks!!!!! Any info/precautions I should know. It seems pretty mellow and non-aggressive. It has plenty to eat...small fish, frogs, mice, moles and a zillion crickets.

It's my intention to let it hang out there as long as it wants. It gets occasional barking harrassment from my Jack Russel.

So I guess this should be no problem to let it just do its thing?

SneakySnakeLady

The Goat Lady
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!!!!! Any info/precautions I should know. It seems pretty mellow and non-aggressive. It has plenty to eat...small fish, frogs, mice, moles and a zillion crickets.

It's my intention to let it hang out there as long as it wants. It gets occasional barking harrassment from my Jack Russel.

So I guess this should be no problem to let it just do its thing?
They are completely harmless to people and pets. It will keep the rodent population down and just hang around and do what snakes do. Once they find an area that provides for all their needs they very rarely leave, so you will have a friend for life there as long as nothing kills it.

If it is used to your presence it will learn not to fear you, but if you decide to ever pick it up just be careful, they are known to have a pretty decent bite if they get pissed off (though harmless)