Squeaky rosewood fretboard, HELP!

L4everP

Reaction score
I got a new LP recently, Tokai LS-107. Now I wanted to change strings and cleaned the rosewood fretboard too, using lemon oil cleaner bought from a local music store. After this there was a squeaky noise that wasn't before. It doesn't come through the amp, luckily, but drives me nuts when playing on a lower volume at home. It's usully when bending.

I've read on forums that others have had this before and that lemon oil may be the problem because it makes natural oils evaporate or something, making the wood too dry. I guess that's it, I doubt there's any problem with the fretboard because the guitar is new and awesome.

THE QUESTION: How to fix this? Does it get better with time or do I have to buy some other stuff to fix this? And do I have to use this oil in the future if it does this, even though it's rosewood?

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Rosewood needs only occasional oiling, when it looks dry. The squeaking should go away. Anything other than straight, unscented mineral oil is wasting money. I use unscented baby oil when I bother to look close enough to notice. Others have their preference: I prefer to buy what works, not marketing.

My Jazzmaster makes ghost ringing because of the bridge and trem design, but that's what they do. Oiling won't fix that :)

endial

Reaction score
Sounds like you used WAY too much.

hbucker

Reaction score
I use lemon oil once a year or so on my fretboards. - Never experienced any squeaking. Have done this for 25 years with no ill side effects.

I would suggest that other products often contain ingredients that can harden and remain on the wood. As was mentioned earlier, if you use too much of that product or don't wipe it off enough, it could leave a residue that causes the squeaking.

Play the guitar. In short order the oils from your hand should take care of the problem. If this takes too long for your taste, just give the fretboard a light rubbing with lemon oil or mineral oil. That should work right away.

Latest Threads