Spray gun set up

B. Howard

Reaction score
Seems there are always lots of questions about spray finishing and sometimes it can seem like there is a fair amount of voodoo involved but in reality it is a fairly easy and straight forward process. One thing that never seems to get much mention is proper set up of the gun and proper technique in using it. So to help with that here is an article I wrote on the topic. Hope some of you find this helpful.

Brian Howard's guitar building & repair blog: SPRAY GUN SETUP & TECHNIQUE

charisjapan

Reaction score
Brian, thank you very much! Very timely, as I'm just about to spray for the first time ... after almost 50 years of using rattle cans.

Cheers from Japan!

cj

Claymore

Reaction score
Nice job Brian,
Trial by error and now my spray technique is just fine.
Wish I had this 8 years ago... hahaa!

pshupe

Reaction score
That is a great tutorial. I have the exact same spray gun and after getting some help from a friend and playing with all the settings and dials with thinner and cardboard, I have a much better understanding of the dos and don'ts. Now I just have to up my production so I don't have to relearn everything when I get to spray another guitar in 6 months! ;-) Damn day job!

Cheers Peter.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Great thread and tip, B. Howard.

I would like to add this:

Learn your gun. Know your gun. Know every thing it's going to do at every pressure setting, spray-pattern setting, trigger mix, etc. Learn how it reacts to both thick and thin mixes, etc.

When you've used your gun enough to really know your gun, you can get really enhanced, professional results from it.

No surprises = fewer mistakes.