Spot Refinish Gibson Les Paul

amgomez

Reaction score
So, about a month ago a dropped some wire cutters on my brand new Les Paul. The finish bubbled up and eventually flaked off.. and there was clear and very little yellow left on the top. So, I decided I would fix it.. I haven’t been able to match the yellow whatsoever.

move tried Lemon Yellow and Amber Yellow, diluted, mixed.. every which way I can think of to make it the right shade of amber/yellow.
Does anyone know, the exact or approximate mixture to make the modern amber of a Les Paul sunburst?

I’ve stripped the lacquer from the spot 3 times already.. the spot went from being a 1/2 inch in diameter to maybe an 1 inch now. I don’t want to refinish the guitar. I put a bigsby on it to forget about it, buts eating away at me.
i

Attachments

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to know when to leave well enough alone or settle for "good" when "perfect" isn't available.

There appears to be a lot of TAN in that finish. Not just yellow and amber. You need something in a light brown shade as well. Tan or diluted brown with a little amber should be just right.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I was wondering if a tinted clear coat over the amber would be just the thing? Bear in mind I'm still a finishing idiot so take that idea with a grain of salt.

amgomez

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to know when to leave well enough alone or settle for "good" when "perfect" isn't available.

There appears to be a lot of TAN in that finish. Not just yellow and amber. You need something in a light brown shade as well. Tan or diluted brown with a little amber should be just right.
I sort of just gave up. I tried every which way imaginable. With what I can get, which were stew Mac products. No matter what I did, it was noticeable. Even with flash coats. So, I got it close, and slapped a bigsby on it, now you can’t see it. Maybe one day, when I have some time, I’ll refinish the whole top. I’ve also considered just spraying a black heart over it and melting it in. But, the flame is just too nice.

Latest Threads