Split or cracked fret wire ??

DrBGood

Reaction score
Roxy,,

They raised frets I have hammered down didn’t have enough space between the bottom of the fret sides and the fret board to allow any glue to be inserted. Do you have any methods to allow gluing in this situation?
You usually insert glue before tapping it down. If you tapped it and it's still down, good. If not, glue it next time it comes out.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
No, I meant that before I tapped down the fret, it wasn’t raised enough to get glue in the right place. I set my guitars with a very low action, so that even microscopic fret raising throws the action off.

DrBGood

Reaction score
No, I meant that before I tapped down the fret, it wasn’t raised enough to get glue in the right place. I set my guitars with a very low action, so that even microscopic fret raising throws the action off.
Would have had to either pry it out a tad or shoot super glue in the wood slot from the end of the fret.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I tried that, but I didn’t have a tool with a blade thin enough while strong enough to do that. Remember, that I keep my action right down on the deck, so the slightest fret rise messes things up. But in any event, with a couple of taps with my little board a d little hammer all is well, and so it remains.

DrBGood

Reaction score
But in any event, with a couple of taps with my little board a d little hammer all is well, and so it remains.
I use a short hardwood dowel and my little hammer.

Little hammer, Lilyhammer ... have you seen the TV series (2012-2014) ? A good comedy about a New York mobster that goes into hiding in rural Lillehammer in Norway, after testifying against his former associates.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Haven’t seen that show. I’ll check out the internet sources.

moreles

Reaction score
Maybe take a closer look at your own guitar, or post pics, before asking a misdirected question asking for speculation.

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Roxy,,

They raised frets I have hammered down didn’t have enough space between the bottom of the fret sides and the fret board to allow any glue to be inserted. Do you have any methods to allow gluing in this situation?
Thin cyanoacrylate (superglue) will wick into the fret slot. Then clamp and wait.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You can glue a fully seated fret. I do it all the time. Lay down a piece of electrical tape across the fretboard (as a mask) and right up to but not touching the fret bead. Then simply add a few drops of thin viscosity CA glue to the line where the fret meets the board.... the glue will wick right in no problem. In fact, you can clamp the fret down first, and then wick the glue in.

Latest Threads