Speed Knobs

Comokanu

Reaction score
I hardly use the knobs during a song so speed is not required but nevertheless gold speed knobs are cool IMHO. Might put some on my Epiphone instead of the stock ones which ain't too bad, but just not my cup of tea.

HARDWEAR

Reaction score
What I hate is the term "speed knobs."

I'd love to know which tool came up with the idea of calling volume and tone knobs speed knobs.

Just because they say 1 through 10, it doesn't mean you're running a food processor, folks . . . ;)[/QUOTE

The reason they are called speed knobs is because you are able to adjust them without using two or more fingers. You just need one finger and like River said, the pinky, most of the time. With the shape and diameter of the knob, all you have to do is literally just graze your pinky/bottom part of your palm over the side of said knob and bam, you have adjustment. That maneuver is a little bit harder to do with a reflector and a lot harder with a witch hat.
I like all types. Some fit/look better on different guitars.

jsadctnfn1

Reaction score
I happen to like the way they look, but NBD. Some of you guys dissing them like somebody puked on the guitar crack me up.

Dude, I am right there with you. I LIKE the look of speed knobs. Especially on Customs, Studios... HELL, even on a black standard. In my opinion, the amber knobs on a black standard, traditional, classic, etc look ridiculous. There is nothing else that color on the guitar except maybe the amber/gold color Les Paul model script, so they just look out of place.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Time to a geometry course again. :)

Think of it this way: if you take the knob off completely and try to spin the pole, it takes a larger rotation of your wrist to get it around all the way. Same principle applies to a road bicycle and gearing: smaller gear takes more motion to get the tire to go around one full rotation.

Formula for it is R = Dk / Dp. Rotation = Diameter(knob) divided by Diameter(pole piece).

:dude: Math rocks. :dude:

No, Xavier was right about what he said. A smaller diameter knob travels less distance for a full rotation but it takes more force to turn it. A larger diameter knob travels more distance with less force because the longer radius is a longer lever. You're interpreting motion from the movement of the hand which varies with each person. Using your pinky and not moving your wrist, or using your thumb and forefinger and turning your wrist etc.

Same principal with car tires. If you put oversize tires on your car, your speedometer will read a speed less than what you are really traveling. Your odometer will report fewer miles than what you have travelled. It's not math, its physics.

CajunGoo

Reaction score
Its a look thing more than anything else. You know, its in the same league as buying guitars in the first place. 90% with your eyes and only 10% with your ears. So I figure people have a preference of knobs i much the same fashion.

92Standard

Reaction score
I agree that speed knobs are easier to use (quicker to grab a hold of IMO) although I think top hats look better and more nostalgic.

Kezia

Reaction score
I put speed knobs on all my guitars, I find them easier to use and I like the look better.

Latest Threads