Speed knobs, why no love?

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
Hi guys, I own a 17 les Paul classic. I love it, and I love it more every day I play it! It's a gold top and I put a poker chip on bc I like the look. Thought about putting black rings and pick guard on. Would it be a good idea to put black knobs on as well, or would the regular speed knobs look ok with the black? Also I notice lot of people change out the speed knobs for the top hat knobs. Just wondering why a lot of people change them out, why is that am I missing something? Lol. Thanks for your opinions
Adam

Playing, I prefer speed knobs. However, depending on the guitar, and the look I'm going for, I might choose top hats, and most of mine actually do have top hats. 7/4 ratio.

When I did my Studio Pro, I wanted to do a tribute to a '59, with a modern twist. I went with gold speed knobs.

LP05_zps55daff9f.jpg

When I did my GT, I was looking at pics of Greg Allman's old guitar, and went with vintage pointers, mated with gold top hats.

20161008_105539_zps6xegx8mf.jpg

My favorite knobs, are the rubber wrapped speed knobs, Ibanez uses. Those kick ass. They'd be ugly as sin on a LP, though

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
30738659534_4e6308a525_o.jpg

Plenty of love here - works just fine for me....

Last edited:

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like the speed knobs. On my Custom, they look good with the black poker chip and the black pickup rings and the black uncovered pickups.

David Garner

Reaction score
I got a set of Creamtone top hats for mine. I quickly switched them back to the original speed knobs. You can see the top hats in my avatar.

I prefer the speed knobs. I gig, so I need to be able to have positive and quick access to the controls. The speed knobs, for my hands and playing, are better for that.

mobidevjc

Reaction score
I personally love them because they're functional and look fine to me. Some people just don't like them for subjective aesthetic reasons, while others hate them because they don't fit into their fetichized obsession with "classic" LPs. The latter are many better of the same types that get all excited about nonsense like artificially "relic'd" guitars.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
Playing, I prefer speed knobs. However, depending on the guitar, and the look I'm going for, I might choose top hats, and most of mine actually do have top hats. 7/4 ratio.

When I did my Studio Pro, I wanted to do a tribute to a '59, with a modern twist. I went with gold speed knobs.

LP05_zps55daff9f.jpg

When I did my GT, I was looking at pics of Greg Allman's old guitar, and went with vintage pointers, mated with gold top hats.

My favorite knobs, are the rubber wrapped speed knobs, Ibanez uses. Those kick ass. They'd be ugly as sin on a LP, though

Hey, GibsonKramer - my old Destroyer had those knobs, loved 'em! Still kick myself for selling that guitar, I had the three-humbucker Phil Collen wannabe model except mine wasn't the usual black. Wouldn't put them on a Paul, but they might work on an Explorer...

moreles

Reaction score
It's a teeny difference, but I think the way your fingers contact the knob feels better on a top hat that a speed knob with that big honking angle. But who cares, really... I like em both. Lots of people add black plastics to goldtops and like it, so who am I to say. But with cream binding, I think they look way better with the consistent cream (OK, "creme") color throughout. I like black plastics, too, but not mix/matched w/ cream. In any case -- great guitar!!!

Pappy58

Reaction score
Top Hats or reflectors. Gots to have the brim to wrap the pinky. Speeds to me are cumbersome. But as stated many times, highly subjective stuff...but function always tops ascetics in mine. :cheers2:

Adamc

Reaction score
I do like the reflectors as well, I had a 50s tribute before I got this classic and it had reflectors on it. I loved how they looked. So I'm torn about which looks better. Hmm think I'll keep the speeds for now

Adamc

Reaction score

LP05_zps55daff9f.jpg

Man those are nice!!

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
for the longest time I hated speed knobs because they sat so high off the body, come to find out, that's more vintage and what most would see as desirable. PLT sells a set that sits lower and now one of them resides on the guitar in my avatar. To me, it all depends on the guitar and really what mood i'm in that day

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
for the longest time I hated speed knobs because they sat so high off the body, come to find out, that's more vintage and what most would see as desirable. PLT sells a set that sits lower and now one of them resides on the guitar in my avatar. To me, it all depends on the guitar and really what mood i'm in that day
That's interesting, the speed knobs on my '98 Std and '16 Trad actually sit lower to the body than the top hats on my '11 Classic and '13 Std, which sit sort of high-ish. They all have different gaps, though, so I always figured the pots had something to do with that as well.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
That's interesting, the speed knobs on my '98 Std and '16 Trad actually sit lower to the body than the top hats on my '11 Classic and '13 Std, which sit sort of high-ish. They all have different gaps, though, so I always figured the pots had something to do with that as well.

yes, the pots have something to do with it, but if you look at the back of a "Gibson" brand gold top hat and then an "Allparts" one, you'll see what I mean, the Gibson top hats are recessed, so they sit lower, but all the Gibson speed knobs I've had, were not, so they sat higher.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
obviously these aren't gold, but they're the only color I have sitting around not on a guitar. Gibby on the left in both

Attachments

• IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 33

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
Speed knobs rule !
All the other knobs look weird IMO and are less comfortable to use

efstop

All your base are belong to us
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only have speed knobs on the '13 Trib GT. The '17 TT has gold reflectors, and the '14 LPMM is getting Tele knobs.

jguay

Reaction score
Long-time lurker here - I've always felt "speed knobs" just looked cheap (most epiphones, etc... seem to have them). Top hats look the best to me and work fine.

pillbug

Reaction score
Why no love #1 because if you played guitar in the '80s you had enough of them.

Why no love #2 because if you rode a skateboard in the '70s you were basically riding on speed knobs.

I'm guilty of both of the above BTW :dunno:

Latest Threads