Speed knobs, why no love?

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Generally I prefer the Top Hats, but for me it depends on the colour the guitar.

For example I like them on Blue:

WbPqMDk.jpg

Where as I could not imagine them on this:

s2GNGBX.jpg

Also certain guitars look better with black/Witchhats or black reflectors

qIhfd48.jpg

So no general rule but what you think looks nice personally :dunno:

marksoundguitars

Chief Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
Purely for function, speed knobs are great. I just don't like the look, and in my tiny little corner of the market the look is what sells.

Adamc

Reaction score
Ok I understand. Thanks for the responses guys. I like both equally. But I agree that it depends on the model

C Squared

Reaction score
I dig the look of bells, but have speeds on all of mine. Function trumps looks if you're on your tone controls a lot.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
C Squared, totally agree. You know what I find ironic though? Speeds are much easier to adjust on the fly but I also tend to accidentally knock them out of position more easily too! Top hats seem to better resist my extraneous right hand movements, LOL

Grrat avatar of St. Randy by the way!

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit late to the festivities, that is a BEAUTIFUL Lester. Congrats.

I personally really dig the look of speed knobs. For me, it's because my first Lester had them stock ('95 Standard). As far as functionality, well, my pots are pretty much always set on 10 and stay there (except for when I try to play the solo for "Sunshine of Your Love" in which case the neck tone gets rolled down to 0)

I think black plastics would really really compliment that beauty quite well.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use them because I had them on another guitar I played for years so I'm used to them.
Also a little easier to see IMO

IMG_7004.jpg
WOW. I was always a bit leery about how black knobs would look with cream plastics, but that looks pretty darn nice. Beautiful top as well. Perhaps because of the uncovered pickups?

(Ir:laugh2:)regardless, of why, yours looks killer.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I put speed knobs on my Epi LP Standard, and switched back after 5 minutes.

Not, because I didn't like the way they looked, but because they were no more "functional" than the originals.

The only reason most people use them is, because that's what was used on the original early '50s LPs.

Adamc

Reaction score
Thank you! I sometimes just stare at it lol. My wife thinks I'm a weirdo haha

Zarg

Reaction score
I absolutely love and prefer black plastics. Add a 3/5 Layer one to complete the look!

Adamc

Reaction score
I absolutely love and prefer black plastics. Add a 3/5 Layer one to complete the look!
Ok, not to sound ignorant, but what is a 3/5 layer one? Haha

Becker34

Reaction score
I've got witch hats on my '80 Standard and speeds on my '85 LPC, both are as I purchased the guitars.

I prefer the speed knobs on the LPC. I'll probably put gold speeds on the Standard eventually, but that isn't something that's driving me criminally insane. I'll keep the witch hats since I'm a mark for stock parts on stock guitars.

Callaway

Reaction score
Had them on my 54 and 55 Goldies which were the stock knobs for the Std from Gibby back in that era and of course left them alone. I got used to them, liked enough I ended up putting them on all my Strats which perhaps worked out better than even on a Lester for pulling off those little wailing volume swells using your little finger that Buchanan did back then. Always keep a few spares around if the need arises to me it's function over fashion.

E1WOOD5150

Purveyor of Joke Grenades
Reaction score
I am going to get hammered for this buy you guys, but I do not like black plastics on a Goldtop. I could work with them on a black guitar if one were going for the stealth look, but I just prefer the look of cream plastics on Goldtops or Sunbursts.

As for speed knobs, I don't mind them, and have used them, but I prefer the look of reflectors.

HearHear

Reaction score
I love the chrome look knobs on the '17 Standard HP's. I know it's not the "classic" look, but those knobs can be beautiful on the right guitar.

full

Latest Threads