Speed knobs, why no love?

Adamc

Reaction score
Hi guys, I own a 17 les Paul classic. I love it, and I love it more every day I play it! It's a gold top and I put a poker chip on bc I like the look. Thought about putting black rings and pick guard on. Would it be a good idea to put black knobs on as well, or would the regular speed knobs look ok with the black? Also I notice lot of people change out the speed knobs for the top hat knobs. Just wondering why a lot of people change them out, why is that am I missing something? Lol. Thanks for your opinions
Adam

Adamc

Reaction score
IMG_1500.JPG
Here is a pic if anyone is interested

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
I think it's because the beloved 58-60 models had top hats so people tend to associate that look with the classic years. I like both, I have 2 with speed knobs and 2 with top hats and can't honestly say that I think either is better than the other.

BTW, always loved the look of goldtops with black plastics!

1allspub

Reaction score
Speeds knobs are very functional knobs... I just find them kind of an eyesore. Much prefer the top hats and reflector knobs.

As for your color choices... if you go with black rings and PG, then I would probably go with black knobs, preferably reflectors. :)

Farquad

Reaction score
They aren't as nice looking as other knobs and the centers crack on many many of them.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I'm just a top hat guy I guess. Maybe I should try some. :hmm:

Adamc

Reaction score
Thanks guys, if I change the plastics, I think I will go with black knobs as well!

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lord that is a beautiful guitar!!!

I would love to see black plastics on that guitar…
You could even keep the current poker chip because the zebras allow for you to include both cream and black plastics…but swap to a black tip on the selctor imho

I would also consider getting a multi ply black pick guard as the white trim will tie in with the zebras..

I personally LOVE reflector knobs or "tinfoil tophats" in my hick vernacular....but have become enamored with speed knobs of late...The speed knobs have REALLY grown on me...

Your guitar is perfect as she sits but the fun thing about playing with plastics is you can swap them out and back as wanted…
To that end, I also like to simply set covers on my pups unsoldered so I can have them covered for a while and back to uncovered…

Although it would be hard to cover those beautiful zebras…

HNGD :drool:
Long live the goldtop classic with zebras!!!!

-Chris

dspelman

Reaction score
This is like talking about eye shadow preferences <G>.

Adamc

Reaction score
Thank you! I've played fenders my whole life, but always wanted a LP and the gold top was always a dream of mine. But couldn't get one because of the price lol. But now 20 something years later I finally pulled the trigger and it's everything I always wanted, including the zebras. They are worth every penny

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the black reflector knobs on my '13 '50s Tribute GT with gold top hats, and changed the rest of the black plastics with cream, and nickel pup covers. A week ago I replaced the top hats with gold speed knobs. I think I'm done. The '17 Tribute T GT came with gold reflector knobs, but I'll keep those. I added a cream chip, and swapped the jack plate for a chrome one. I have a bag of black plastic parts now (P-90 covers, poker chips, knobs and tips and a jack plate), and a set of gold top hats and a cream jack plate. Maybe I'll make toy cars out of them.

PeterJ

Reaction score
The thing about my 2010 Traditional that has pleased me almost as much as just playing the thing is how I haven't changed a detail on it from its stock state. I like the speed knobs. They continue the aesthetic of the cherry burst and are very easy to turn while playing. Do like the look of black top hats on black customs, though.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
They're all better than the chrome knobs on the HP line, those just don't look right on a Les Paul.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing about my 2010 Traditional that has pleased me almost as much as just playing the thing is how I haven't changed a detail on it from its stock state. I like the speed knobs. They continue the aesthetic of the cherry burst and are very easy to turn while playing. Do like the look of black top hats on black customs, though.
One of my customs has the witch hat knobs...
Those look AWESOME...

PK-0140-023-SET.jpg

-Chris

Phusion974

Reaction score
Im not a fan of the top hats and much prefer the speed knobs because they're easier to control with your hand IMO.
Especially if your tone or volume pots don't turn easily.

Knob color is all personal preference.
I would personally keep the gold speed knobs but black would look good too.

Nice goldtop btw!

Latest Threads