• top hats

Votes: 142 64.0%
  • speed knobs

Votes: 80 36.0%

• Total voters

335Reasons

Banned
Reaction score
I have a different view on the subject. Speed knobs are the faster, but the pointers underneath - also called thump cutters - can get you into serious trouble… What I do is replacing the short shaft pots on the LP with long shaft ones. I proceed to adjust their height so they suit my fingers position. I know it is not cosmetically/historically correct, but my fingers are safe. Remember also, Pete Green's intention when he used top hats on the treble pots was to gain easier access in the middle position; of course all this means nothing to players that do not understand what I'm talking about.

On my 335 unfortunately I can't do this mode so I stay with the reflectors and suffer the speed disadvantage, she is a 1964 after all. Having said that, your thumbs are not in great danger from the pointers when you use top hats.

">

Ides of March

Reaction score
I like speed knobs better because I can control them easier. But I also have top hats on my Trad so I guess I use both. I prefer the speed knobs, they just werent staying on the trad, a couple kept falling off.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Hey question,

Does it matter if I buy coarse or fine spline????

Yes.
The coarse spline is mainly for metric style pot shafts (eg stock epiphone pots).

You would want the fine spline for stock gibson and CTS type (non-metric) pots.

If you try to force a coarse spline knob on a fine spline shaft, there is a very good chance it could separate the pot casing from the shaft. I've done it twice. The first time was out of pure ignorance.

The second time, I ordered 4 fine spline knobs from StewMac and ended up with two fine and two coarse. I got a new set from Allparts (fine spline) and they fit perfect on the CTS pots.

When you order them be sure to double check before installing. :cool:

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
Yes.
The coarse spline is mainly for metric style pot shafts (eg stock epiphone pots).

You would want the fine spline for stock gibson and CTS type (non-metric) pots.

If you try to force a coarse spline knob on a fine spline shaft, there is a very good chance it could separate the pot casing from the shaft. I've done it twice. The first time was out of pure ignorance.

The second time, I ordered 4 fine spline knobs from StewMac and ended up with two fine and two coarse. I got a new set from Allparts (fine spline) and they fit perfect on the CTS pots.

When you order them be sure to double check before installing. :cool:

Hey, I really appreciate the reply. So, go with the fine spline? is that what all Gibson's have? Thanks for the info. I'm going to double check before I buy, and before I install. Thanks!!!

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The top hats I have drive me crazy. For me, they seem slow to grab and move. I think about replacing them but since I am not gigging right now I never get around to doing it.

ElectricGuitarist33

Reaction score
Top hats… but 1 of them split in half, so that one is back to stock speed knob, and is almost invisible. Works for me.

cmh6122

Reaction score
Speed knobs for me.
cmh6122-albums-artisan-picture41357-2011-9-04-pictures-camera-1385.jpg

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Hey, I really appreciate the reply. So, go with the fine spline? is that what all Gibson's have? Thanks for the info. I'm going to double check before I buy, and before I install. Thanks!!!

Yes, if it has stock Gibson volume and tone pots, fine spline knobs should fit. Many like to upgrade their pots to CTS pots and these are also fine spline (imperial).

If you feel confident that the new knobs match the splines on the pots they should go on with little effort. If it feels a little to loose you can slightly and "gently" spread the two legs of the shaft apart with a flat point screwdriver to tighten the fit a bit.

If it feels like a very tight fit, you can also take the cavity cover off the back and apply counter pressure with your thumb on the back of the pot. I've found this to be the safest method so there is no undue pressure on the wood surface or the pot casing. Sometimes the tabs on the pot casing are not bent over very well to provide a sturdy fit.

Lowdown

Reaction score
If it feels like a very tight fit, you can also take the cavity cover off the back and apply counter pressure with your thumb on the back of the pot. I've found this to be the safest method so there is no undue pressure on the wood surface or the pot casing. Sometimes the tabs on the pot casing are not bent over very well to provide a sturdy fit.

This.
This has happened to me twice with 2 different guitars. Both had that stupid groundplate that they were attached to.
As I said,use the Allparts knobs and they will slip on effortlessly,yet be snug. A perfect fit.

EasyAce

Reaction score
I voted top hats, but I'm going to have a lit-tle problem with the bundle from heaven (courtesy of the woman with whom I'm honoured to share my life) due to arrive tomorrow (Saturday) . . .

easyace-albums-les-paul-r9-bloomfield-vos-picture44984-bloomfield-burst-sitting-up-case.jpg

GitFiddle

Reaction score
I voted top hats, but I'm going to have a lit-tle problem with the bundle from heaven (courtesy of the woman with whom I'm honoured to share my life) due to arrive tomorrow (Saturday) . . .

That is awesome Ace. :thumb:
Here's hoping you and your wife have a wonderful day tomorrow.

Job-Job type Job

Reaction score
Aesthetically, top hats are preferred but it really depends on the guitar. Sometimes speed knobs look better. It's all about the looks for me. Functionality is about the same aside from volume swells (speed knobs win), but I'd use a pedal for anyway.

Vintage_Burster

Reaction score
Speed's are ugly. Top Hats are class.

Plus its really no harder to turn volume up/down with the TH's.

veeman

Reaction score
I love witch hat knobs. they cant go on everything, but on darker colored guitars they look best. But then again, I put them on all my guitars, regardless of color. :thumb:
11-27-11.jpg

ACELUEK

ACE FREHLEY'S BASTARD SON
Reaction score
For me, the reflectors/tophats are easier to adjust.

Latest Threads