• top hats

Votes: 142 64.0%
  • speed knobs

Votes: 80 36.0%

• Total voters

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was reading a bunch of threads here and I noticed a lot of you guys like the classic top hats over the speed knobs. So, after looking at my trad a bit I'm thinking of switching over myself! I got to say though that I use my tone and volume knobs a lot during actual play. I wonder, do any of you guys prefer the "speed" knobs as opposed to the top hats for performance, or is it just cosmetic???

lp1.jpg

So do you guys think I should get some top hats?????

budd

Reaction score
Top hats/reflectors easily for the looks.

Speed knobs for function if you're constantly adjusting.

I've got/had both and there isn't a massive difference though. It's just what you prefer and are comfortable with.

Adrian86

Reaction score
I use my controls a lot and put on a set of top hats on my Traditional. It feels slightly different but I haven´t noticed any problems while adjusting them during a performance.

Gemm

Reaction score
I've found speed knobs are much easier & quicker (as the name suggests) to adjust.

blackie2

Reaction score
Snotty wine sniffer comment (yes the sarcasm is intened), top hats are sometimes referred to incorrectly when they are really witches hats which are what the ones with reflectors are typically. The angles on the knobs are different than the ones that most of us use that are called bell knobs.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
I agree with the other posters - speed knobs if you do a lot of movement on the vol/tone controls, otherwise top hats all the way. I personally hate the look of the speed knobs and I rarely adjust those controls anyway (usually full blast or off for me and control everything via my pedalboard) so definitely prefer tophats or reflectors. Don't care for the 70s small witchhat knobs either.

Lucky

Reaction score
I think it depends a lot on the guitar. I love the speed knobs on my Trad Plus.

freddarl82

Reaction score
Top hats/reflectors easily for the looks.

Speed knobs for function if you're constantly adjusting.

I've got/had both and there isn't a massive difference though. It's just what you prefer and are comfortable with.

Generally agree with this^^^^^^

Lately, though, I've found if the pot shaft sits a little higher out of the top of the body -- leaving the base of the top hat a little higher off the body -- they're just as easy, or maybe more so, to adjust as a speed knob. I can't stand trying to adjust a tophat that sits nearly flush to the body...

Paul46

Reaction score
Reflectors.The proper mirrored ones,not the hazy,opaque ones.

bdubbs

Reaction score
I have speed knobs in my studio and debate on if i'll put some on my traditional.

michaelinokc

Reaction score
To me, it's just a cosmetic thing, so it depends on the guitar. I can't imagine top hats on my silverburst Custom.

Latest Threads