Speakers. How Many? Your Inventory Count.

rogue3

Reaction score
Last link on the sound chain.the most important one,imho. Least heard about.
Doesn't even have its own forum.:(

So your total inventory count, that you listen to regularly. In your space,of course.
Feel free to types.

i give you mine.

I have 30 in total. In combos and cabs.among them,Vintage Fanes, Vintage Fender,Vintage JBL's,Vintage Celestion g12 80's,Celestion 75's,Greenback repros,Eminence,Jensens.

Last edited:

KStopper65

Reaction score
I use IRs exclusively coz I only use amp sims for both practising and recording. My most used speaker types are the Vintage 30s, followed by Creambacks. I am eagerly waiting to blast an amp through them in person

Johnnyslim

Reaction score
I have three. My JTM45 2x12 has a pair of mid-1965 Celestion pulsonics with the code 102 003. These are the rare gold and crimson foil label speakers. Pre-date Greenbacks by at least one year. These speakers were made between 1964 and very early 1966. I think the earliest were stamped T1134 but mine are T1221. I have checked with someone I would consider an authority and he confirmed these are 20 watt speakers and quite rare. My JTM45 1x12 has an Eminence GB-128 50 watter that really sounds great. Oh...and a 30+ year old U.K. Celestion Vintage 30 sitting in a box unused.

goldtop0

Reaction score
I've made a point of getting a good number over the last 8 years or so..... Celestion alnicos from the '50s and pulsonics from the '60s.........have them loaded in my combos and cabs.........and have some(supposedly aged G12M20s and G12H30s) modern ones so in total maybe about 20 all up. Weber alnicos included and one or two Fenders also that came in the combos.

Last edited:

rogue3

Reaction score
I've made a point of getting a good number over the last 8 years or so..... Celestion alnicos from the '50s and pulsonics from the '60s.........have them loaded in my combos and cabs.........and have some(supposedly aged G12M20s and G12H30s) modern ones so in total maybe about 20 all up. Weber alnicos included and one or two Fenders also that came in the combos.
this is what i like.keep'em coming folks.list total number,regular listening speakers...

rogue3

Reaction score
i don't have an endpoint in this, except in speakers you listen to.
Very generally , they must be speakers you have on the platter right now.and in the foreseeable future...as well as what you have listened to recently...

Last edited:

NotScott

Reaction score
I honestly don't know how many I have. There are probably a couple dozen I am using and then a few dozen in storage throughout the house. Of the 12" ones I use regularly and really like:

Celestion Cream AlNiCo - Thick and chewy with a detailed high end. They pair well with most any amp and the 90 W power rating means I can run my Marshalls and Komets through 2x12 cabs. Perhaps my current favorite.

WGS Blackhawk HP - Another high-power AlNiCo that excels in small combo cabinets. Thick and juicy with just the right amount of sparkle.

Eminence Wizard - I hated these speakers until they had been beaten on by my Marshall. Then they smoothed out and opened up. They sound beautiful when pushed. Some guys swear they are prone to cone cry but I have never heard it.

Avatar A25 - This is a US made AlniCo (See a pattern here? :laugh2:) intended to capture the magic of early 60s Vox/Celestion Blue AlNiCos. Having originals from 1964 to compare them too, I would say I like the Avatars better. They are just a hair darker on the very top end but the midrange is more detailed and the bass holds together a bit better. Helps that they are rated for 25 W but they will handle a bit more. I know. I have tried them LOUD! :cool:

Celestion G12C - This was a special run Greenback that Celestion did for the Marshall Hendrix and VM cabinets. They sound like a worn in Greenback with a much more detailed midrange and are a bit more dynamic and seem to react to pick attack much quicker than regular Greenbacks. I have one of my 4x12s loaded with these and love it!

Eminence Red Fang AlNiCo - While I am on 4x12s, I have a 1960B repro loaded with these and that cab just does everything. These were once very affordable but then the price crept up and finally Eminence discontinued them. Like all Eminence loudspeakers, these need a thorough beating before they loosen up and give up the goods.

EV EVM12S - Everybody knows the L but I prefer the S. It is a bit warmer than the L and not as beamy. This is THE speaker for preamp dominated amps like Dumbles, Boogies, etc. They are the best choice for the boxy sounding Boogie Mark series combos and with 200W power handling, you have to be really trying to blow these up.

Kemper Kone - OK, this is a specialized co-axial design intended to be used with Kemper modelers in lieu of an FRFR. Kemper claims that using it with their imprint technology that they can accurately reproduce many classic loudspeakers and provide more of an "amp in the room" feel than FRFRs provide. I tried one in a 1x12 open-back cab with my Kemper and it lives up to all of the Kemper sales speak. It eliminates the beamy, brittle high end FRFRs seem to have and when you crank the piss out of it, it does not sound like a bad stereo system on 11. It sounds and reacts just like a conventional guitar speaker. It can also act as an FRFR if needed and does an excellent job of that as well. It is just a great feat of engineering application.

Speakers I have laying around here that I quite haven't found a home for:

Altec 417h with hemp cone - This is a Santaba favorite for its midrange drive. The original cone was just way too shrill for me to use in anything I like to play so I had it reconed with a hemp cone and kept the aluminum dust cap. It is a very even and smooth sounding loudspeaker now but the EV has a home in my Boogie and my other amps and cabs I am very happy with. I will get around to toying with it again one of these days.

Jensen Blackbird - I had high hopes for this loudspeaker. It is a bit more open and brighter than the Blackhawk HP and also handles 100 W, so they say. It sounded great in my old Boogie. It cut out that midrange congestion the Mark combos are known for and is surprisingly light. However, my Mark 3 Boogie running in a small club managed to fry it one night. I called Jensen's rep here in the US asking who they recommend for recones and they tell me they do not offer recone parts, but they would be happy to sell me a new one. :mad2: WTF? If I already blew up one in a small club with a 70 W amp, do you really think I want to try another one? Regardless, tired of my Jemsen boat anchor, I found an excellent recone service in Tampa that found generic parts to recone it and it now sounds better than ever! I am seriously considering finding another blown one so I can send it to my guys for recone and have a killer pair. They are now that good.

I have a few of the Eminence hemps, Black Mountain, Canis Major and Cannibis Rex and find all of them to be very dark, even for a guy like me that likes them dark. They also take forever to break in, even for scary loud Marshall players.

Vintage 30s I have mixed feelings on. Until they break in, I despise them for that nasty, upper mid bite. However, once nicely broken in, they smooth out and really fit nicely in a rock mix. Once broken in, I do like them for amps that don't need help in the low end. And no, I have no preference between the earlier UK made V30s or the later Chinese made V30s.

I could keep going with this stuff but it is a beautiful day here and I have a pedal board to finish building and then headed out back to smoke some Argentine rib eye. Cheers!

Latest Threads