Speaker test

zoork_1

Reaction score
Got the idea to record my R9 and 66 Deluxe Reverb-Amp with two different cabs,
one with old alnico 15" speakers and one with new alnico 12" speakers...

They sure sound different

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1nHYJkRaWg]SpeakerTest - YouTube[/ame]

Tweaker

Reaction score
Is it right to say that some speakers have more midrange than others? Because it seems like I hear more mids on the 2x15"...the 12" speakers seem more scooped and aggressive, if those are proper terms to describe the sound of speakers.

Cool clip, thanks for the comparison!

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Is it right to say that some speakers have more midrange than others? Because it seems like I hear more mids on the 2x15"...the 12" speakers seem more scooped and aggressive, if those are proper terms to describe the sound of speakers.

Cool clip, thanks for the comparison!

That's exactly how they sounded to my ears too. I preferred the 12" myself, but both sound good in their own way.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't like 15" speakers for guitar. They can move a lot of air and make a lot of noise, but they are less articulate and can lack high freqs. Most 15" speakers,as well as their cabinets, are not designed to cover the entire guitar audio spectrum well.

zoork_1

Reaction score
I don't like 15" speakers for guitar. They can move a lot of air and make a lot of noise, but they are less articulate and can lack high freqs.

The 12's are "tight & bright" and well defined. However, I like these 15" speakers better because they remind me of late 60' blues rock (e.g. Fleetwood Mac w P Green)...

When I need that little extra sparkle I just turn treble to 8-9... :)

dspelman

Reaction score
I don't like 15" speakers for guitar. They can move a lot of air and make a lot of noise, but they are less articulate and can lack high freqs. Most 15" speakers,as well as their cabinets, are not designed to cover the entire guitar audio spectrum well.

I, on the other hand, DO like 15" speakers for guitar. In fact, one of my favorite cabinets is an ancient 1971 vintage 2x15 plus tweeter (bigass ported cabinet, about 48" x 30" x 12-14" deep). The 15s are Altec Lansing 418-8A's, and by themselves they do pretty well with the guitar spectrum. In fact, they go quite beyond what most 12" guitar speakers can do, extending well down toward bass territory in this cabinet (if you're a downtuning wonk, do you hear that? It's the sound of actual fundamentals, rather than the octave-up harmonics you're used to!) and easily into the 4000+ Hz territory where most 12" guitar speakers begin to roll off at the top end. With the tweeter, of course, kicking in at 2500Hz, you have a cabinet capable of around 18Khz, which is unexplored territory from most guitar 12's. But even without the tweeter, there's no loss of highs from a set of 418's. There's no loss of "articulation;" most 12" guitar speakers don't have cones as stiff as those on the 418s.

Cabinets for 12" guitar speakers rarely have anything to do, designwise, with the capabilities of those same speakers. They're there to hold the screws that hold the speakers fixed to the board, and little else. They indicate the direction the cabinet should be pointed (grill cloth side forward, in case you didn't read the enclosed instructions) and serve as a mounting surface for cheap vinyl. In fact, aside from the occasional kludge required to keep the cabinets from rattling at odd frequencies (this is the reason for the famous hunk of lumber tossed inside a 4x12's middle), most cabinet "design" was carried out on the cement floor of some factory back in the '60's and was of the "okay, that should fit those four speakers" chalk line variety. "Theile-Small" may as well be "Sour Mash" as far as the bulk of guitar speaker "designers" are concerned. A single Mesa cabinet holds the banner for Intelligent Design based around a specific speaker's specs in the modern industry. The rest of the industry could care less what speaker gets dropped into their cabinets -- it wouldn't matter anyway.

Probably 95% of guitarists have never heard guitar through an amp into 15" speakers. The rest, that 5%, would probably have had to have been around in the late '60's and early '70's, when amps were routinely showing up with 2x15" cabinets as standard.

Make no mistake -- 12" speakers didn't win out over 15" speakers because they were superior sonically. If that were the case, 10" speakers probably would have won. They're out there today because manufacturers gained a reprieve on tube amps with the availability of fresh tubes from Soviet bloc nations thanks to the opening of trade with those countries, and because manufacturer marketing oversold the 4x12 as the perfect traditional accompaniment to a 100W tube amp. And because it's SO much cheaper for manufacturers to standardize on one speaker size.

ac/dcfan87

Reaction score
The 15" sounded more "airy" and full IMO. The 12"s sounded tight and middy. The way that was recorded I much preferred the 15"s.

CTWoodWkr

Reaction score
I discovered VVT amps at the NY Amp Show a couple of years ago and was very impressed by their combo amp with a 15" speaker. You can check it out here: <http://www.vvtamps.com/portfolio/nighthawk-45/>.

sibyrpunk

Reaction score
The 12" sounds more modern, where the 15"s remind me of some really cool old Hi-Fi vinyl recordings. Love the 15's.

PS: Really tasty playing, love that backing track.

MiniB

Reaction score
Yeah, the 15's sound like the big Showman head/cabs that Peter Green and Kirwan would play through. Very cool sound, but maybe a bit too 'round'&#8230;almost like switching to the neck pickup from the bridge.

dretot

Reaction score
15" all the way. It has that midrange honk, like a harmonica… love that. Especially the lick @:52… really nice. That's the D130F?

What is the 12"?

thanks,
dre

zoork_1

Reaction score
Yeah, the 15's sound like the big Showman head/cabs that Peter Green and Kirwan would play through. Very cool sound, but maybe a bit too 'round'…almost like switching to the neck pickup from the bridge.

The 15's do sound round in the first clip, but did you listen to the second (EQ'ed) clip?

zoork_1

Reaction score
15" all the way. It has that midrange honk, like a harmonica… love that. Especially the lick @:52… really nice. That's the D130F?

What is the 12"?

thanks,
dre

Yes, thats the D130F.
The 12's are Celestion Gold/Tayden Smooth

MiniB

Reaction score
The 15's do sound round in the first clip, but did you listen to the second (EQ'ed) clip?

Yeah, better. It's a great, classic sound altogether with that great honk/yowl.

More I think abut it, I'd probably just go with those 15's because the sound is so nice, and just adjust if I needed more cut.

Latest Threads