Speaker suggestion

zoork_1

Reaction score
I recently bought a high quality 2x10" (empty) guitar speaker cab. Suggestion for a versatile sensitive speaker(s) with tight bottom and nice top/brilliance is most welcome.

BTW, I like vintage alnico speakers, but my ears can't stan shrill/ear piercing noice anymore... :(

Thanks in advance...

moreles

Reaction score
I love playing through 10s. A cab with a pair of good ones should be terrific -- you can get all the bass you want without any woofiness, and the articulateness is, IMO, better than with a 12. Using a pair eliminates the single-speaker "death ray" effect. I can be pretty fussy about stuff, but nevertheless have been happiest with Celestion Vintage 10s. (Note: I refuse to play hundreds of extra $$ for Alnico. Just not going to do it.) Having had bad luck with OEM Eminence, I just don't use them anymore, though some swear by them; haven't used WGS either. I like Webers, though the last one I bought took forever to break in and is still pretty hard-sounding. So my nod goes to the familiar, boring-to-mention, but excellent Celestions.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I have a Jensen Mod 10-50 in a 1x10 practice cab. Very loud and very good for Hard Rock. Seemed to take forever to break in, but once it did, it sounds great.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a fan of Emi Speakers....

Personal preference is just that and only that... I'd listen to as many as you can and read reviews...

I also like the old vintage JBL, Cetec Gauss, and Altec-Lansing guitar speakers...

I prefer a heavy duty speaker. I've never been a fan of the cheap stock speakers with smaller magnets. I like a speaker that can more than handle anything the amp can throw at it without flutter or fart...

Nothing like a Fender type amp circuit into an old JBL...or two.....or four..... ;)

Take your time, read reviews, and watch YouTube vids.... Due diligence....

In my Blackstar tube combo, I read all kinds of stuff about replacement speakers and settled on an Emi Red Coat Private Jack. I jerked out that POS poor excuse for a Frisbee Celestion Rocket 50 and put the Emi in and that amp improved tremendously... Sounded better with the Emi at zero hours but really came to life after the speaker had time to break in...

I used my redneck break-in method... Besides guitar, I would practice on one of my five string basses through any new amp or new speaker at low volume for a bunch of hours. A fiver is gonna send freqs to the speaker that guitar won't... In my mind, it speeds up the break-in... Don't much care what anybody thinks about it. Works for me. ;)

Lots of options out there. Take your time to find your One & Done... What I like, what anybody likes, and what you like, can be totally different. Find what YOU like and then jump on it...

zoork_1

Reaction score
I have a Jensen Mod 10-50 in a 1x10 practice cab. Very loud and very good for Hard Rock. Seemed to take forever to break in, but once it did, it sounds great.
Thanks northernguitarguy, but I've been through the "take forever to break in" thing before and it's not for me.

zoork_1

Reaction score
Lots of options out there. Take your time to find your One & Done... What I like, what anybody likes, and what you like, can be totally different. Find what YOU like and then jump on it...
Thanks ehb, the options are a bit overwhelming, but I'll take the time to get it right. I have been pondering on a mixed pair e.g. a Jensen P10Q and a Jensen Falcon 10-40FA.

Dilver

Reaction score
I put a Reverend Alltone 1030 (the ones with the R on the back; not A) in my Champ II (18 watts). It’s better than I had hoped it would be, especially now that it’s broken in a bit more. Great speaker, highly recommended.

zoork_1

Reaction score
I put a Reverend Alltone 1030 (the ones with the R on the back; not A) in my Champ II (18 watts). It’s better than I had hoped it would be, especially now that it’s broken in a bit more. Great speaker, highly recommended.
Good call, though they seem to be really rare... ?

Latest Threads