Speaker questions

tinman402

Reaction score
Alright I have a Jet City jcs2212c which came with a eminence speaker made for jet city.. Not bad sounding but I got a really good deal on 3 Guitar warehouse speakers brand new unopened boxed.. a Green Beret, a Reaper, and a ET65 all 12" and 8 ohm.

The eminence speaker that came in the amp was 16 ohm, I have a home made 1 x 12 cab that had a old 16 ohm speaker in it and I have a Blackheart 1 x 12 cab that had a Eminence in it that is 16 ohm as well..

In back of the amp is 1 16ohm output jack and 2 8 ohm output jacks.. When I ran the internal 16 ohm and hooked up the 16 ohm extension cab I would plug each one into a 8 ohm output jack.. Basically running them both in their own 8 ohm jack made since because it was 2 16 ohm speakers in parallel which would = 8 ohms...

Ok now that the details are out of the way.. Here are the questions..

I am running the ET65 in the jet city.. I hook it directly to a 8 ohm out.. SOUNDS GREAT.. I installed the Reaper in the Blackheart cab , and the green beret in my homemade cab.

Can I hook a 8 ohm speaker into each of the 8 ohm ports? or would this cause it to drop to 4 and would that hurt anything.. I don't have to crank it ever, master volume works great on both channels of the amp..

Next question the blackheart can has a second port so you can plug an extension cab to it then a port to got from the blackheart cab to the amp.. This is a parallel connection so by hooking a 8 ohm to it and it being a 8 ohm that will be 4 ohms right.. i would like 2 run 2 8 ohms from my jetcity.. the internal and a cab but don't want to damage it.

My master plan is the Green Beret and Reaper are going in a vertical 2 x 12 I am going to build. and it will be wired in series to produce the 16 ohm.. Then I will order a classic 30 in 16 ohm and go back to using the 2 8 ohm jacks..

Help?? Does this make sense.. Can I safely plug a 8 ohm speaker into each of the 8 ohm ports??

Thanks

:slash:

tinman402

Reaction score
tinman402-albums-amps-picture65723-wp-20140410-006.jpg

I have less than 100 in all 3... ;)

tonepad

Reaction score
Hella deal. I have a Reaper and a GB and they are nice. I think you'll like the 2 x 12. They sound great as a single 12 in a cab too.

Gridlock

Reaction score
The ET65 would be my speaker of choice, especially for a Marshall sounding amp.

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No, don't plug the two 8 ohm loads in the 8 ohm jacks. You can check with Jet City. But until they confirm the transformer can take a 4 ohm total load, you risk damage.

Just read the jcs2212c manual.

The ONLY way you can hook up more than one of those WGS speakers at a time, is if they are wired in serial and connected to the 16 ohm jack (internal disabled) or one of the 8 ohm, along with the internal in the other.

You said your 1 cab is homemade. Wouldn't be too difficult to wire an extension jack on it in serial with it's speaker, and then daisy chain the Blackheart behind it for your 16 ohm load.

Also be open to the idea of pairing that ET65 and Reaper in the 2x12. Et65 seems to be a great partner with another speaker, like a Reaper, or the Green Beret. It is a very flat frequency response speaker. So it 'fills in' for other speakers.

Did you mean Veteran 30 or Retro 30? Never heard of a classic 30. A V40 internal with a 2x12 cab with the Reaper and et65 would sound decent I think.

YOur ultimate plan will work fine, assuming the 3 speakers work and play well tonally. THe Cab would be rated at 50w which should be enough for the amp.

babatube

Reaction score
don't plug 4 ohm resistance to a 8 ohm speaker out.
you will stress the OT.
unless there is a switch to turn the output impedance to 4 ohm that's a no no
nono.gif

3 warehouse speakers in less than 100$?
did you hold a gun while making the purchase?

tinman402

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.. I put the ET65 in the black heart cab and the Green Beret in my homemade cab and did like Cybermgk said wired in series.. I put the reaper in the Jet City.. It's a either or set-up.. I can run the Reaper as a combo amp or I can plug the ET65 and GB in series as external cab.. Cranked the amp to 9 yesterday; WTH 9 really Jet City my amp has a complex because it doesn't go to 10 haha.. Sounds pretty freaking Awesome with the ET65 and GB.. Ok with the Reaper by itself.. I am thinking the ET65 needs to go in the amp and the GB and Reaper get a custom built (by me) vertical 2 X 12 that will match the Jet City Amp...

My Blackheart head has 4 ohm outs.. I rocked it out too..

Big John

usually off
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Kidding aside, I've been doing some homework on the WGS speaks, and these three models are in my crosshairs for a pair of homebrew isolation cabs that are close to being buttoned up. If you had to pair one with the ET65, which would you go with? Reaper or Beret?

tinman402

Reaction score
I think I like the ET65 with the Green Beret..

The ET has tight lows and ok mids and is bright on the high side.. The GB has ok Lows great mids and a little on the dark side on the top end.. I think they complement each other very well...

The Reaper is a pretty good stand alone, it is all around good across the board, when it is paired with the ET the highs where still brighter than I like.. The actually say on the WGS site that the Reaper is the GB on steroids.. I think they have different characteristics on the high end and mid range..

The GB breaks up a bit quicker than the ET which sounds good to my ears too.. I am not an expert by any means but this is what my ear test has told me.. My 2 x 12 will be the ET and GB.. I am thinking of putting the Reaper in the blackheart cab for my blackheart head and ordering another Reaper in 16 ohm for the internal in the jet city.. That way I can run the 2x12 (in series in 16ohm) and he internal together in the 8 ohm jacks.. The reaper sounds pretty freaking good on it's own.. so it would work as my grab and go in the amp..

Hope that helps..

Best 100 bucks I spent in a long time..

also gonna build this.. I got jacks and a plastic box left over from building pedals..

images

and yeah I meant vet 30..

Latest Threads