Speaker for a bandmaster67

Rodolphe

Reaction score
Hello,

i have bought 6 months ago a vintage Bandmaster head.
works great, but i'm still looking for the right speaker.
I don't want a 2X12 as it's too heavy and big for what I want. i just want to use it with an open back 1X12 (i prefer open back cabs).
i now use it with a celestion A type in open back 1X12, but the speaker is a bit dark for what I want a
to hear from this amp. the A type works great with my 18W clone as it makes it more medium, less harsh.
I want the bandmaster to sound like a classic black face amp. i will use it for clean sounds and add pedals for the dirt. I would like a clean sound close to the one you hear on old school R&B records, funk records, and so on. dynamic, not harsh, not too bassy, ...

I know many will answer Weber, but here in france , there's no distributors for weber and with taxes and transport fees, they are out of reach.
I have thought about a C12K jensen, or an eminence equivalent... but i have no experience with eminence..

feel free to give me advices.

regards

Sin Nombre

Reaction score
All I can tell you is the Weber 12F150 in my DRRI sounds way better than the C12K it came with. I don't know if the Weber is true vintage voiced or not but it just has a clarity that no other speaker I have tried has. Try a little harder to find a used one somehow, or save up for a new one. How much would a new one cost you after all is said and done?

And if perchance you do manage to get a new Weber, be sure to have them break it in for you, which I have heard is no charge.

Rodolphe

Reaction score
well, last time I bought a Weber, it costed me twice the price of a Jensen...
I know they are a good deal for north american, but here...
I wish I kept my alnico Gold that was great in my ex-DRRI..

viking20

Reaction score
I have a Bandmaster Reverb from 74
I use two Eminence Legend 10516 10s with it , and like them a lot. Mines got a 4/8 ohm output transformer. I'm set up to use either 2 or 4 speakers , that's why I'm using the 16 ohm speakers.

The ceramic Eminence 1058 8 ohm is easier to find , Thomann have them in stock. If you'd like a cheaper alternative , the Jensen C10Q , sounds similar , but is a little less efficient. They also appear to be stiffer and take longer time to break in.......
I don't have any experience with any of these speakers in the 12 inch versions , but I doubt they are that different.

Rodolphe

Reaction score
thank you for the advices...

still have to sell my 2061CX before buying a new cab+speaker...

but I must say i have not decided what I will buy :-(

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
how would you compare this one with a regular jensen or a celestion G12?

will it work fine in a 1X12 open back?
does this sound good with fender & marshall amps?

Couldn't be more different. Maybe good, maybe bad. Depends on what you're looking for in terms of voicing. Keep in mind neither the Jensen, Celestion, or Oxford in a 1x12 cab will have adequate power handling for the Bandmaster.

The Bandmaster circuit was designed for lots of high power clean headroom. It's sort of like a Bassman without the O/D.

I think you'll find the EVM12L to be more akin to the old JBL D120 that was an upgrade option for the Bandmaster. The EVM12L will have spectacular crisp cleans with crystal articulation. The open back cab will likely suck much of the low frequency thump regardless what speaker you use.

Not sure what you mean by your desire to have it sound like a "classic black face amp". That covers an enormous voicing spectrum. It won't sound like a classic black face Bandmaster as they all had closed back speaker cabs.

If you like the idea of an EVM12L I suggest you consider putting it in an EV Thiele cab. It would be physically smaller than any other 1x12 cab and will do a much better job projecting the low to mid frequencies.

Dumble Used EVM12L with most of his amps.

The demo below is an EVM12L in an EV Thiele cab. The amp is akin to a Slodano (Marshall on steroids - very high gain). It will give you an idea of what the Marshall will sound like. The demo covers clean and O/D.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3BOGHoMMpY[/ame]

WhippingPost

Reaction score

I agree with this. I would have suggested an Eminence Commonwealth 12, but they've just been discontinued (they can be special ordered through the custom shop via a dealer, though). With them off the market, I'll back the EV suggestion.

tonedragon

Reaction score
The Jensen mod series are cheap and sound great for old blackface/siverface AMPS. I have two in a pine 2x12 and it weights nothing

Latest Threads