Speaker break-in question

Wrench66

Reaction score
I have a quick question: will there be a slight loss of volume as a speaker breaks in? I recently, about a month ago, got a new Celestion G12M 25 watt greenback speaker. I've noticed a slight loss of volume over the past month. The speaker sounds much better now than it did brand new out of the box and I was just wondering if the loss of volume is normal. I must stress that the volume loss is very slight but noticeable.

Thanks.

hbucker

Reaction score
Don't know about volume, but changes in frequency response can often sound like volume changes. As a speaker breaks in, the way it represents different frequencies does change.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

herzog

Reaction score
Speaker shouldn't lose volume - however, you may have lost some frequencies that made it sound louder to your ear...

jimmer_5

Reaction score
I have found that speakers will start to sound smoother as they break in, particularly in the treble register. I also noticed that the bass response became more pronounced in my Vintage 30's. They don't typically lose volume, but i could see a decrease in treble being perceived as a decrease in volume. Those high frequencies can feel more piercing, and as a result, seem louder.

Scott_UK

Reaction score
I agree with the increase in bass response.

I recently bought a new AC30 with Celestion Creambacks. The more and more I used it over the 1st few weeks, it developed more bottom end punch and became smoother (I was warned of this). This was noticeable, though I didn't find a loss of volume.

Wrench66

Reaction score
It definitely sounds smoother. I am probably just attributing the loss of volume to a decrease in harshness from the speaker. Or I am going deaf...

Thanks!

Latest Threads