speaker and cabinet reccomendations

jman08

Reaction score
So I've got an old Traynor Bassmaster head that my dad lets me use. I use it for bass, but one day i decided to try my guitar through it, and man, I see why my amp tech really likes this amp lol. I used it through my ampeg fridge, and while it sounded good, I want to get a guitar cabinet for it. I was originally thinking a 1-12 cabinet, but it seems that I'll have to get a 4-12 to deal with the 90 watts of the amp.
I don't know a whole lot about guitar speakers, but I'm thinking Celestion (possibly some of the heritage models?). Since I want to choose the drivers I put in, I think I want to get a cabinet from a company where I can choose what speakers go in. Avatar seems nice, but I would like an angled front.
So, can anyone suggest some speakers and cabinet makers? Thanks.
Oh yeah, tone wise I like classic rock.

Monster

Reaction score
You don't have to go with a 4 X 12, just get a speaker with larger power handling. Avatar makes nice cabs, and there are a host of others: Stone Age, Lopo, Mojo, etc. I think the Eminence line of speakers sound great for the prices. You might consider putting a Tonker in a 1 X 12 cab. A 1 X 12 will sound different from a 4 X 12, and some really prefer it, but it is much less useful in the real world unless you have roadies and play big venues.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
a YBA-1 by chance?

that's about an inch away from a Marshall Plexi. I've used one, smokin amp.

I'd lean toward Celestions too.

tarddoggy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You don't have to go with a 4 X 12, just get a speaker with larger power handling. Avatar makes nice cabs, and there are a host of others: Stone Age, Lopo, Mojo, etc. I think the Eminence line of speakers sound great for the prices. You might consider putting a Tonker in a 1 X 12 cab. A 1 X 12 will sound different from a 4 X 12, and some really prefer it, but it is much less useful in the real world unless you have roadies and play big venues.
+1....

VoodooHighway

Reaction score
a YBA-1 by chance?

that's about an inch away from a Marshall Plexi. I've used one, smokin amp.

I'd lean toward Celestions too.
+1 Those are great amps!

I'd go for a Marshall 4x12" straight cabinet.

Take care,
Ace

jman08

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The amp is a YBA-IIA I think. Bassmaster mark II is what it says on the front. It's 90 watts, and I believe it is very close to a marshall head.

Oh yeah, Is there any difference really between the straight and angled cabs?

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think it's probably a YBA-1 Mark 2.

afaik the YBA-2 had EL84s, they were something like 25 watts?
I think the YBA1s had 2 EL34s, same as a 50 watt Marshall.
And like a Marshall, they can be really loud, lol.

When I borrow my friend's, I use my attenuator and crank it, sounds fantastic.

Dave C

Reaction score
Straight cabs actually have a bit better bass response than angle cabs. There is also a little phase cancellation thing going on with a slant cab...kinda hard to explain . I like the looks of slanted cabs , but prefer the sound of straight cabs.

Latest Threads