spark amp

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya... BJ wouldn't have been my first choice for a model, but it is a nice little amp, aside from the cabinet being too small.
I've never been unhappy with mine, but I generally ran it through a 4x10.
Being EL84, it simply has a different feel from the typical 6V6 Fender amps... it can easily be pushed into the dark side.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bud has a BJ.... I love the sound of it with a Strat... It IS different though... Not my choice with a Lester....
From hearing a bud's old F bf PR with a vintage JBL 12" (Oh my homey jeebus), I'd like to hear a BJ with a JBL...cranked with guitar volume down.... Hell yeuh Rusty!

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
A bud has a BJ.... I love the sound of it with a Strat... It IS different though... Not my choice with a Lester....
From hearing a bud's old F bf PR with a vintage JBL 12" (Oh my homey jeebus), I'd like to hear a BJ with a JBL...cranked with guitar volume down.... Hell yeuh Rusty!
The main problem with the BJ is the cabinet is too small, and the solid state reverb recovery section.

Much of the personality though, unfortunately, is Fender biases them (and most of the Hotrod series) way too hot, and it is not uncommon to see redplating after a tube change if "hot" tubes were installed.
Adjustable bias would certainly be a welcome design addition.

Lhdr

Reaction score
Anyone run your pedals into this? Does it sound okay?

Lhdr

Reaction score
IDK, just wondering if someone has a pedalboard they’ve run through it and if it sounds okay. Maybe it sounds better?

revtime

Reaction score
Still have my spark sitting next to my recliner in the living room. Use it almost everyday.

Big Dik

Reaction score
If I have to use my phone, forget it! I was hot on that Marshall modeler, until the phone thing came up.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
If I have to use my phone, forget it! I was hot on that Marshall modeler, until the phone thing came up.
Buy a dedicated tablet.
Only thing I use my tablet for is Spark and Zoom meetings.
Netflix when we're on a road trip.

ajwain

Reaction score
I’ve had the mains powered Spark 40 for a few months now. Out of the box it sounded really bass heavy (not in a good way… bass that it’s diminutive size couldn’t properly deliver), but I tweaked and saved four presets with the onboard buttons, and it’s very usable.
I’ve used it in a rehearsal context to excellent effect and also used it once for a pit band in a church hall. No fancy switching… just the presets and the knobs (modulation and delay). The volume was ample for the event and I got a reasonable tone from it with a Les Paul.

It’s no good for stage use - not even on small gigs - but if you’ve got the time and convenience to control it from the front panel, it’s a great little tool. It most certainly should not be written off as a novelty.

You can play with the app all day if you’re inclined, but I’ve saved my presets and am happy with them.

At home on my own, I’ve enjoyed using Bluetooth to play backing tracks through it and play along with them.

Altogether, highly recommended.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'all remember to check for updates on occasion....

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
If you register with Positive Grid you get emails of new firmware and app updates
I dunno.... I got their push for the Hendrix pack, but have never received a notification about an update, other than the update was required to load the Hendrix pack (and the auto-wah is better than I expected)

Reactions: ehb

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Anyone run your pedals into this? Does it sound okay?
I have tried. Dirt pedals, some work decently, others not so much, and depends on the amp model selected. The biggest problem is the cumulative compression effect. By that, I mean the loss of too much dynamic feel. Plus, I think it just sounds better using the built in drive effects.

Why use loop type effects, in front of it, when you can use what is onboard for that.?

If it is used for what it was primarily designed for, it is a great little piece of kit. That being, as a VERY low volume to moderate home volume practice tool. Oh that and as a blue tooth speaker.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I added the Mini to the 'big' Spark, and find myself using that more. The portability is very nice. It works in the Living Room, real well, as it is very unobtrusive, and does sound great at volumes, I can still hear the TV over/with.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I added the Mini to the 'big' Spark, and find myself using that more. The portability is very nice. It works in the Living Room, real well, as it is very unobtrusive, and does sound great at volumes, I can still hear the TV over/with.
I was surprised at how nice the Mini sounds... and it lacks the "boomy" sound of the Spark 40 that results in the sound having a "muffled" tone.
That is possibly a result of my high frequency hearing loss, as I find most Bluetooth speakers to sound similarly muffled. Our original Amazon Echo had decent sound, but the later generations, despite being allegedly better, have this muffled sound.
For such small speakers, you'd think they would have the opposite problem... unless the acoustic engineers are attempting to compensate by going bass-heavy.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was surprised at how nice the Mini sounds... and it lacks the "boomy" sound of the Spark 40 that results in the sound having a "muffled" tone.
That is possibly a result of my high frequency hearing loss, as I find most Bluetooth speakers to sound similarly muffled. Our original Amazon Echo had decent sound, but the later generations, despite being allegedly better, have this muffled sound.
For such small speakers, you'd think they would have the opposite problem... unless the acoustic engineers are attempting to compensate by going bass-heavy.
It is surprisingly great sounding. Why I use it more I think. I do like to pro the front up a little to let that bass speaker on the bottom move more air.

Latest Threads