spark amp

Deftone

Reaction score
No. Here is a list of the current amps and effects.

I suppose I could just plug my Drop in before the amp.....

Deftone

Reaction score
Ok, my Spark has arrived. I have yet to download the app.

Not bad as a little practice amp.
Tuner works ok, easy. Intuitive.
Decent as a STEREO bluetooth speaker.
Played along with a song...pretty cool. Definitely fun.

I have one of the original Fender G-DEC's and I have always liked it. It's probably close to 20 years old but I still use it all the time. The Spark sounds better and is half the size. Definitely has a lot more features. With the G-DEC you can only play along with the preset drums/bass and adjust the key and tempo. I like that the Spark has a feature that will listen to your riff and come up with a drum and bass track. I really want to try that.

Thinking about getting an Android Tablet to use with this.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did that.
I had an older Galaxy 12" tablet and it didn't really get along with the graphics in the app.
Wife wanted to upgrade her old 10" Galaxy, so I bought a pair of new tablets.
Now she can zoom with her friends on a usable screen and I've got a tablet that I really only bought for one thing.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok, my Spark has arrived. I have yet to download the app.

Not bad as a little practice amp.

I did that.
I had an older Galaxy 12" tablet and it didn't really get along with the graphics in the app.
Wife wanted to upgrade her old 10" Galaxy, so I bought a pair of new tablets.
Now she can zoom with her friends on a usable screen and I've got a tablet that I really only bought for one thing.
Yea I got a tablet to use with just the Spark. Just make sure it's running the proper Android level. I hit a deal with T Mobile. got the tablet free, just paying the additional device on my plan (which with what I have is very little per). Caveat is I have to keep it on the service for a period of time. No problem.

NO way, with my rapidly decreasing ability to see close eyes, was I using my phone.

@Deftone, try the App. There are a few things you can only really do with the app, like all the adkustments for the effects. Presets OOB are good, but, with a little tweaking they are great.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
PSA on Spark ordering.

I'm in Canada and was looking at options for ordering a Spark, as there are no Canadian distributors.

When I went to the Positive Grid web site for SPARK I was looking at costs and options for shipping to Canada. I went as far as crating a CART and stopped just short of giving CC information. I did give my email address.

I looked at other options via the internet as well.

A few days later I get an email from Positive Grid reminding me I have a CART I haven't purchased yet. Fine. That's good business. Now. A little more then a week later I get an offer for $10 off my CART.

Anyone looking to save $10 and wants to play a long game for their purchase should try this.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Given the comments I have read in this entire thread, I think I'll order via Amazon, not direct from Positive Grid in the USA. I can get a free case if I order direct, but it appears that ordering from Amazon, it ships directly from Canada, No COVID wait restrictions or hassles. That has value to me.

Oakman29

Reaction score
I am simply in love with this amp. In my younger days I was in a gigging band that played with some big name bands, and wished I had something like this then.
Very cool piece of equipment.

ttbit

Reaction score
I keep forgetting to turn off my bluetooth on my phone when in meetings. I have had it take over as the speaker too many times. : ) Great amp. I know I shouldn't be playing guitar while in a meeting, but.... Working at home efficiency.

Deftone

Reaction score
I still haven't downloaded the app, haven't got a new tablet yet, either.

Been too obsessed with my new Marshall's.

Any recommendations for a Samsung Tablet that works with the Spark App?

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score

I'm using a Samsung tablet from 4 years ago,
I actually haven't turned it on in over a year. No updates were available for it.
. . .and it works stellar.

I also have an old Samsung S5 (I think) that I dl'd the app for and it works too.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Make sure it has Android 8.1 or newer. I'm using a Samsung Tab A running Android 10. No issues so far. Not too expensive.

simon connor

Reaction score
My personal response to the second Covid lockdown was "I'm going to use this time to get better at playing guitar." So I contacted my old guitar teacher from 25 years ago and started taking lessons via Zoom, and bought a Spark amp to practice using the backing tracks (and also to be able to do it silently with headphones because of the sleeping child.) I can't express how great this amp is for that (admittedly very specific) purpose. I can practice for hours without bothering anybody, and I've been progressing in leaps and bounds. I simply love the thing! I don't think I'd want to use it as a stage amp, or even for any non-headphone purpose though. I find that as notes trail off in to almost-silence they get weirdly warble-y, and I think it has something to do with the digital nature of the thing. Still, as I said, for practicing purposes, I think the thing is absolutely amazing. And for $250, is seems like a real bargain to me. Especially when you consider that it has a built in recording interface. Not that I have ever used that, but it seems like a great feature.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

My older 12" didn't like the app's screen resolution, but it functioned.
I got a new tablet to go with the amp and it works great.
I would run the risk of saying that pretty much any Galaxy newer than 2017 will work.

Deftone

Reaction score
My older 12" didn't like the app's screen resolution, but it functioned.
I got a new tablet to go with the amp and it works great.
I would run the risk of saying that pretty much any Galaxy newer than 2017 will work.
I'm using a Samsung tablet from 4 years ago,
I actually haven't turned it on in over a year. No updates were available for it.
. . .and it works stellar.

I also have an old Samsung S5 (I think) that I dl'd the app for and it works too.
Make sure it has Android 8.1 or newer. I'm using a Samsung Tab A running Android 10. No issues so far. Not too expensive.
Thanks! I ordered this one....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-Galaxy-Tab-A-8-0-32-GB-Expand-512GB-Android-9-0-pie-Tablet-Black/114496452997?hash=item1aa8853985:g:cDgAAOSwDTdfoC7Q

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to use it more. It's a great little amp.

jkes01

Reaction score
I just unplugged from mine after not having played any guitar in weeks. No one home for a change and got to crank it up a bit. Gave the strings a good workout without offending anyone with my noise. I need to do this more often.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have one.
They are actually pretty good especially for the money.
I don’t really get to the delays I just ordered off of Amazon and got it in less than a week.

The only quirky thing I found is if you have an Apple Watch you have to turn it off or it will interfere with the Bluetooth synchronization of the amp. Other than that I haven’t had a single problem with it.

Pretty good sound pretty good models and works is a great Bluetooth speaker too. Will

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one.
They are actually pretty good especially for the money.
I don’t really get to the delays I just ordered off of Amazon and got it in less than a week.

The only quirky thing I found is if you have an Apple Watch you have to turn it off or it will interfere with the Bluetooth synchronization of the amp. Other than that I haven’t had a single problem with it.

Pretty good sound pretty good models and works is a great Bluetooth speaker too. Will
The delays were the initial release.
Pre-orders far exceeded expectations, they had some production issues, and just as they got everything ironed out and started shipping, the pandemic hammered their supply chain.
I pre-ordered in early January and fully did not expect it for a few months... got it in May, or was it early June?
It didn't bother me... Positive Grid is not some new startup with high potential to be a fly by night, they've been around for many years with the Bias software and amps.

Honestly? They priced the Spark too low for what it is, and they got hammered with unanticipated demand.

Reactions: ehb

Latest Threads