Southern Boys Only! Info needed . . .

realjimjim

Reaction score
We've got a pond here, maybe about 7 or 8 acres which is about 90 feet from my house.

I'm old and lazy and don't do anything anymore . . . .

but one of my young friends (55 years old) wants to come over with his kid a gig some frogs.

They came last night and stayed for several hours with no luck.

Because I'm old he asked me if it was hot enough.

I'd didn't know what to tell him.

The last time I went frog gigging here was like 40 years ago!

No one has been in this pond for like 30 or more years, no fishing, no gigging, etc.

Does it need to be hot for those fat bull frogs to be out?

Does he need to wait until it gets smoking hot to gig those big bull frogs?

boney bones lee

Reaction score
Get him to dress up like a princess and pucker up. Frogs will be fighting to form a line to gig him. That's hot! :photos:

boney bones lee

Reaction score
Give him some good old advise about the best way to eat frogs.

Put em on like sunglasses... One leg over each ear and get busy! :thumb:

realjimjim

Reaction score
Hey, it's my fault for trying to axe a serious question here!

You guys have at it!

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

realjimjim

Reaction score
What, you think ponds and bullfrogs are exclusive to the south?

Yes, I believe that to be true.

That is of course if you wish to pursue true big fat Southern Bull Frogs in a true Southern pond.

If I wanted a true big fat Southern Bull Frog the last place I'd go looking for one would be in Detroit.

Cruznolfart

Reaction score
From Field and Stream.

The best tips I have, and I have been giggin for 45 years, are to got to where there might be frogs and turn the car off and listen. Then go that way until they guide themselves to you. The early summer is best as they are looking for that love partner and are singing their tunes to court them. When you get to the ditch, shine the light around and look for those shiny eyes, but every now and then turn it off and sit and listen. If you hear one and can't find it, and you sit and listen, you will be able to narrow the area in the weeds that it sits down to a foot or two. Funny enough, they will often let you move the weeds around them with the gig so you can uncover them. On a ditch, we have a guy on each side to help spot across the creek and gig the ones on that side. I wrote a real in depth article on this sport a while back that I posted at Articles - Fishnfools.com - FishnFools.com - Fishing Forums, Photos, Blogs, Media, Derbies, Clubs, Events - FishnFools in the blogs section that takes the time to explain all the details of frog gigging. One thing that is esential is the "HTFB" aka the high tech frog bucket. This is a regular wire fish basket with the spring loaded top. You can't find a better way to hold your frogs.

I admired an earlier suggestion from that page that said using a net instead of a gig saves the clean-up work 'till next morning.

Read on, Hayseed. :laugh2::laugh2:

Reaction score

That is of course if you wish to pursue true big fat Southern Bull Frogs in a true Southern pond.

If I wanted a true big fat Southern Bull Frog the last place I'd go looking for one would be in Detroit.

I wouldn't go poking around the edges of any body of water in Detroit, you never know what body part you may find.

Ryan Givhan

Reaction score
ive never had problems finding frogs along any bodies of water here in Kentucky. maybe the pond doesnt support wildlife.

Beaver Creek

Reaction score
He wanted to know if you got off sexually on gigging frogs...

If that didn't do the trick for you, he was going to show you something else.

Just a southerner's observation.

Lee

realjimjim

Reaction score
From Field and Stream.

The best tips I have, and I have been giggin for 45 years, are to got to where there might be frogs and turn the car off and listen. Then go that way until they guide themselves to you. The early summer is best as they are looking for that love partner and are singing their tunes to court them. When you get to the ditch, shine the light around and look for those shiny eyes, but every now and then turn it off and sit and listen. If you hear one and can't find it, and you sit and listen, you will be able to narrow the area in the weeds that it sits down to a foot or two. Funny enough, they will often let you move the weeds around them with the gig so you can uncover them. On a ditch, we have a guy on each side to help spot across the creek and gig the ones on that side. I wrote a real in depth article on this sport a while back that I posted at Articles - Fishnfools.com - FishnFools.com - Fishing Forums, Photos, Blogs, Media, Derbies, Clubs, Events - FishnFools in the blogs section that takes the time to explain all the details of frog gigging. One thing that is esential is the "HTFB" aka the high tech frog bucket. This is a regular wire fish basket with the spring loaded top. You can't find a better way to hold your frogs.

I admired an earlier suggestion from that page that said using a net instead of a gig saves the clean-up work 'till next morning.

Read on, Hayseed. :laugh2::laugh2:

Thanks Cruz!

I'm gonna forward this to my pal.

He says he's hungry! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
Looking for one like this?

bullfrog.jpg

danohat

Reaction score

The rats are so big up here you can ride them.

S. Rock

Reaction score
From Field and Stream.

The best tips I have, and I have been giggin for 45 years, are to got to where there might be frogs and turn the car off and listen. Then go that way until they guide themselves to you. The early summer is best as they are looking for that love partner and are singing their tunes to court them. When you get to the ditch, shine the light around and look for those shiny eyes, but every now and then turn it off and sit and listen. If you hear one and can't find it, and you sit and listen, ---

this is what I was going to suggest. if you can't hear any frogs, there ain't any frogs there. are there any fish in the water ? any kind of aquatic wildlife in the pond ?

realjimjim

Reaction score
this is what I was going to suggest. if you can't hear any frogs, there ain't any frogs there. are there any fish in the water ? any kind of aquatic wildlife in the pond ?

I haven't a clue.

No one has been in that pond for maybe thirty years.

last time I went gigging was about 1963 or so.

But I can tell you this, when I have my windows open at night there ain't nothing but frogs croaking and it sings us right to sleep.

realjimjim

Reaction score

Hey, I just now stepped out on my deck, which about 90 feet from the pond. The frogs are croaking big time.

Maybe my buddy didn't know what he doing?

There are frogs there for sure.

There are Beavers who keep damming up the overflow. There are fish too.

Latest Threads