Sound from the amp is running "late"

picoman

Reaction score
Hi folks!
Last 5 years Ive been mainly playing my acoustic guitar and sometimes my 335copy but with no amp.
Last few days Ive been playing with an tube amp that I bought.
Its a beautifull combo, all PTP, BlackSar Artisan15
I can swear, that the sound from my amp is not instant. Like its runnig late. Like I have to wait for it :shock:
Am I imagining things?!...couse this is realy a shity feeling.
I cant play...I cant decribe the feeling.
Horrible!
And its getting even worst, if I make amp more gainer.

HELP!:facepalm:

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What volume are you playing at? If you can still hear the acoustic pick strike, it can be very disconcerting. I hate that. So much so I'd rather use headphones if I can't crank it to a level where I only hear the amplified signal.

picoman

Reaction score
"If you can still hear the acoustic pick strike"
Im playing it like that now, because I feel like the sound from the amp is not "late" then.
But when I turn the voulume up, to the point when I cant hear the sound of my pick plucking the stirngs.....I get lost...
The sound is running late :shock:

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll wait to hear what some of the better guitarists have to say, but for me playing acoustically is a different game from playing "electrically" at volume. It's difficult to describe, but it's a feel thing. Particularly at higher gain, you can lose the immediacy of the attack of the pick against the string when playing through an amp. I think that's what you are describing. If so, it's not late, it's just the nature of an amplified signal. In which case you just need to keep practicing with the amp and it will become second nature. All IMHO of course. It would also help to know if you play unaccompanied? To a backing track? Metronome?

I'll be interested to hear what others think.

picoman

Reaction score
"you can lose the immediacy of the attack of the pick against the string when playing through an amp"

Egsactly that!
Like when I play my acoustic, the sound is immediate, not running late.
Whit this amp, I can feel it running late :shock:

picoman

Reaction score
Seems that this has to do with amp rectifier.
Tube vs SolidState
Found few articles
Anyone familiar with this topic?

picoman

Reaction score
,,,,lats 5 years only acoustic guitar,
I HEAR EVERYTHING:cool2:

ARandall

Reaction score
I play a lot unplugged, and don't notice amps being late.

Electrons/electricity moves so quickly it is physically impossible for the response of an amp to be delayed at all. The electrons will have made the speaker move before your senses make you are aware that you've hit the string with your pick.
Probably sounds like you've got an issue with the perception of how you're playing and the sound you get through an amp. I do notice that the way you play has to change to make the best use of the amp. An acoustic rewards brute force more as that gives the edge. An amp rewards subtlety, otherwise the inherent compression can kick in.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Or there's an issue with the amp, for instance with the phase inverter causing phasing issues. I started for years on only acoustic and still play a lot of acoustic and classical guitar, and I've never experienced what I think the OP is talking about. Maybe with effects or with a very saggy response at high volumes, but that's it. Could be an issue with the amp. Can you exchange it or return it to the store? Did you try a few different amps side by side?

Eigen

Reaction score
I've never noticed any delay from a tube amp, I guess the closest to that feeling would be a large tube amp is being driven to the max, when the entire things starts compressing and the cab's are resonating, then it kind of feels like you are entering the notes sort of ahead of time?

I don't think what you are experiencing sounds normal, I've never heard of a tube causing signal delay...but who knows?

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Over the years I’ve heard similar complaints from dudes that switched from solid state and pedals to tube dirt. It takes some time to get used to, and once you learn how to dynamically manipulate it with your attack you’ll never want to go back.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you using a Bluetooth wireless interface or a cable plugged into the amp?

Bluetooth has some latency, I don't like the Harley Benton wireless units because it acts almost like a noise gate.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Or try with a really clean guitar sound.

But, how long a delay are we talking about?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
how far are you sat from the speaker? as some replied to a post about latency pointing out being 10ft away would give a noticeable ( to some) delay

Latest Threads