Sort of NGD - Finished my Deluxe to 50s P-90 conversion!

Axis39

Reaction score
Dammit, I want one of these... You didn't help that any!

Nice work, looks good. :)

mertzy

Reaction score
Thanks! I am looking at adding the ABR-1 at some point, but for now I just want to play.

and lightweight tailpiece, vintage correct knobs...but more importantly how does it sound?

BTW nice work looks great!

MiniB

Reaction score
Did the exact same thing for one that I had a while back....

1enwgj.jpg

Got some nice bone white covers from Throbak, put a historic pickguard on, and one of these bridges...

http://www.wdmusic.com/tuneomatic_bridge_nickel.html

slaveone

Reaction score
hey.

nice guitar. Was that mod/upgrade easy? Thinking of getting a deluxe and put a p90 in the neck, and leave the bridge mini hum :)

It was easy enough. If you can solder, the electrics are simple enough. I have a drill press, so getting the extra holes in the pickup cavities was super simple. Other than that, it's really just assembling the pieces!

Nicely done. How do you like the P-90's compared to the minihums?

I've always loved P-90s. I think I prefer using them over anything else, unless I'm playing high-gain, high-volume stuff; then they're just too much to tame and I'll use hums. I think the minis are nice and bright though, and don't muddy up through my darker amps the way my regular hums have a bit of a tendency to do.

slaveone

Reaction score
Did the exact same thing for one that I had a while back....

Got some nice bone white covers from Throbak, put a historic pickguard on, and one of these bridges...

That looks great, MiniB! So how were you able to get a historic guard to fit? I have one that I bought for this project but the top hole doesn't align. Did you just fill and drill the existing hole on yours?

barricwiley

Reaction score
Great work and guitars, nice to see a project like that come to completion. Not to mention the photography.
Really nice pictures for sure. Mind my asking what camera you are using ans maybe lens? Much appreciated - trying to learn.

MiniB

Reaction score
That looks great, MiniB! So how were you able to get a historic guard to fit? I have one that I bought for this project but the top hole doesn't align. Did you just fill and drill the existing hole on yours?

As I recall, I believe I did plug the old screw hole and drill a new one.

slaveone

Reaction score
Great work and guitars, nice to see a project like that come to completion. Not to mention the photography.
Really nice pictures for sure. Mind my asking what camera you are using ans maybe lens? Much appreciated - trying to learn.

Sure! I love photography. It's a Lecia D-Lux 6. It has manual F-stop and focus controls on the lens and has a 1.4 aperture. That's really fast for a point and shoot! I didn't balance those shots, that's just out of the camera. They need to get white balanced properly, but I took those at night with just incandescent light and they still look great!

slaveone

Reaction score
Here you go!

Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90s
Tundratone harness with Grey Tiger caps
Reflector knobs and blank TRC

What about that pickguard? It looks like the right color...was that the one that came with your guitar? Mine is so pink compared to that. The one in my photos came off my unconverted mini-hum Deluxe just for the photos.

MiniB

Reaction score
Mine came with one that was quite pick as well, which is why I got a historic one.

As far as covers, Gibson-branded ones were once again pink. Tried a set of Allparts ones, and you had to sand/round down the corners a bit to fit in. Better and not pink, but the real score was bone-whte ones from Throbak. And now he has several levels of aging....

Throbak Electronics: ThroBak MXV Pickup Covers

Beautiful.

slaveone

Reaction score
Mine came with one that was quite pick as well, which is why I got a historic one.

As far as covers, Gibson-branded ones were once again pink. Tried a set of Allparts ones, and you had to sand/round down the corners a bit to fit in. Better and not pink, but the real score was bone-whte ones from Throbak. And now he has several levels of aging....

Throbak Electronics: ThroBak MXV Pickup Covers

Beautiful.

They look great. I bought my P-90s from someone who had gotten some historic-style covers already, so I am good on that front and I added the rest of the parts into the mix myself. It's just that my Gibson Historic pickguard doesn't fit the hole by the neck. I'd hate to drill a hole just for that...we'll see what I decide.

barricwiley

Reaction score
Sure! I love photography. It's a Lecia D-Lux 6. It has manual F-stop and focus controls on the lens and has a 1.4 aperture. That's really fast for a point and shoot! I didn't balance those shots, that's just out of the camera. They need to get white balanced properly, but I took those at night with just incandescent light and they still look great!

Thanks for the info.
Can't do the Lecia, will make do with my Canon T3i - I also love Photography and on a learning trip. I can try out your settings though, maybe the most important part.
Good stuff indeed.

slaveone

Reaction score
I've reshaped my Historic pickguard and I filled and drilled my pickguard hole to get everything working together. I will post up new pics soon.

Latest Threads