Sorry but can I ask about strap locks?

Davism77

Reaction score
Could someone clear this up for me. Will I need to do any drilling/toothpicking/gluing if I fit Dunlop strap locks to my 2012 LP trad?
Thanks

brokenarrow5

Reaction score
you don't have to do any drilling with strap locks, i usually dab some gorilla glue in there though
have you looked at schaller strap locks? i would say most use them, not all but most
the screws on schallers are longer than the reg gibson screws so they dig in a little further
let it set for 24 hours after completion it is easier than you think

vklobucar

Reaction score
The Dunlops tend to have a slightly thicker screw so a dab of soap on the screw threads helps it go in better.

Hand soap or liquid as well works just fine as its just a lubricant when screwing.

Mind you that happens in less than 50% of the time. Often they just screw right in.

We are talking an extremely slight difference in size so no need to panic that it will split anything.

Other than that its a quick and painless swap. I just bought another Strat yesterday and less than five minutes later was BACK on ebay purchasing Dunlop Straplocks.

Everyone will moan and groan about what to use, what not to use but IMHO its foolish to trust any guitar with a standard strap pin when $10 buy you tons of added insurance.

Which system is entirely up to you to decide.

Just do NOT ask use which type is the best and please for the love of God do NOT start a poll! LOL!

brokenarrow5

Reaction score
i have a ton of the grolsch locks (don't ask how i got them all!), always used them on my fenders, but man i just can't trust them on my gibson's-- maybe it's just me

Tim Plains

Reaction score
you don't have to do any drilling with strap locks, i usually dab some gorilla glue in there though
have you looked at schaller strap locks? i would say most use them, not all but most
the screws on schallers are longer than the reg gibson screws so they dig in a little further
let it set for 24 hours after completion it is easier than you think
It's the complete opposite. I've installed Schaller's on over a dozen Gibsons and the Scaller screw is never larger than the stock Gibson screw.

The screw near the toggle switch is often the same size (one guitar I had, the Gibson screw here was huge). The Gibson screw on the ass end is always much larger than the Schaller screw. You either have either use wood/glue or bore out the Scaller pin and trim down the Gibson screw.

jfwund

Reaction score
You may need a toothpick on the bridge-end strap button if you use the screws provided by Dunlop. It's an easy swap though, and I just did it on my ES-333 without having to use glue or toothpicks on either button.

Good luck!

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Premium Member
Reaction score
You think you are sorry now?
Wait until the experienced rabble arrive?

OR

Maybe they will use restraint and pass this
thread for another.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
I've put Schaller's on three LPs and gig with them all every weekend. Upper bout lock goes right in the same hole as the stock. The hole on the tail is always bigger since Gibson hangs them by a big hook on the assembly line.

I just take a toothpick, jam it in the hole and break it off flush and put the Schaller screw and lock in, no glue. All three are holding strong and fast.

Its always good to have a few Grolsch washers in your gig bag too. Used those for a year or two before installing the Schallers. :thumb:

Job-Job type Job

Reaction score
I put Dunlop's on my Bonamassa Studio without any extras. I used the Gibson screw on the back and the Dunlop screw at the neck. All's well.

Rango

Reaction score
Could someone clear this up for me. Will I need to do any drilling/toothpicking/gluing if I fit Dunlop strap locks to my 2012 LP trad?
Thanks
I asked the same question on another forum and got some replies you might find helpful...and some "other" replies:

Strap locks on a Historic? - Les Paul Forum

There are some pretty interesting responses about prepping for the locks...

And several of the "hey do a search" and the "I use beer bottle washers". I get the guys with the washers...Cheap, effective and there's Beer involved! :D I don't get the guys that have to post "Try a search dumb ass" every chance they get....:hmm: Rather than...hey here's some links you might find helpful. :) I'm just happy I'm not in a band with them! :D:laugh2:

I had to try the rubber washers and they do work pretty well! :shock: Looks a bit getto to have bright pink washer on a nice guitar but it is functional. :laugh2:

redking

Reaction score
Just found a set of strap buttons made by Planet Waves....really good. They have a really wide top so it is quite difficult to slip the strap over, they give me a lot of confidence that the strap won't just slip off. Also the supplied screw is about the same length as stock but slightly wider in the thread so to fit snugly if any play in the old hole.

Banned
Reaction score
My Studio came with them. I was going to get rid of them, but it came with a strap that was the perfect length, so I left it as is. My Fenders don't need them. It actually came with a bunch of usable stuff including a half-dozen of the exact Dunlop picks I use. Pawn shop find.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YSv9KoMcSk"]Pawn Shop Guitars[/ame]

jw3571

Reaction score
I went with a Lock it strap so I didn't have to drill. It's been great so far.

River

Reaction score
I had to try the rubber washers and they do work pretty well! :shock: Looks a bit getto to have bright pink washer on a nice guitar but it is functional. :laugh2:
"Ghetto", eh? :hmm:

The white balance in your photo is WAY off, and they're not pink. They're red, and blue-red at that. When I care about appearances that much, I'll take up canoeing. :thumb:

Latest Threads