Songs you are learning.

Gary Bell

Reaction score
After taking delivery of my first Les Paul carved top... the 59 standard Epi. I’m learning songs from the 70’s. “All right now”by Free.

KStopper65

Reaction score
I'm learning the Four Horsemen by Metallica, just gotta learn the second solo now

NotScott

Reaction score
Band I was recently hired by already has a killer guitarist. However, in addition to slide and acoustic duties and primarily original pieces that they want me to learn, they also want me to do lead harmonies with the other guitarist for originals and a couple covers like this:

The opening riffs are not too hard in the root, open position. However, the harmonies require one guitar to play it in a box position and that requires some serious alternate picking for those riffs. And since I am the new guy, guess who gets to play those tougher parts. :rolleyes: The bass player calls this "hillbilly Rush". :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Whatever he calls it, Charlie Daniels had some serious, stone-cold killers on this tune.

Gary Bell

Reaction score
Also been working on a few Eagles songs... but Don Felder did some crazy S$&@T. So many great songs from bands in the 70s. I did just learn Sister Golden hair by America.

Gary Bell

Reaction score
Band I was recently hired by already has a killer guitarist. However, in addition to slide and acoustic duties and primarily original pieces that they want me to learn, they also want me to do lead harmonies with the other guitarist for originals and a couple covers like this:

The opening riffs are not too hard in the root, open position. However, the harmonies require one guitar to play it in a box position and that requires some serious alternate picking for those riffs. And since I am the new guy, guess who gets to play those tougher parts. :rolleyes: The bass player calls this "hillbilly Rush". :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Whatever he calls it, Charlie Daniels had some serious, stone-cold killers on this tune.
Fing awesome.

NotScott

Reaction score
Fing awesome.

We do some killer material but I like our originals even better. The band's first video won CashBox best contemporary country video for 2020 and our next video is being released early next week. Here is the first video:

Gary Bell

Reaction score
We do some killer material but I like our originals even better. The band's first video won CashBox best contemporary country video for 2020 and our next video is being released early next week. Here is the first video:

Wow. God bless. Amazing. That is the America I grew up in. Best of luck brother.

lbiz

Reaction score
The Core by Eric Clapton. I heard this song for the first time two days ago. Incredibly it was on the radio which I was only listening to because I was too lazy to bring up a playlist on my phone.

multi-useless

Reaction score
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star... AND Baa Baa Black Sheep

JK... kinda... while I've been jamming along lately with a lot of CCR, the Rolling Stones, and a guy I recently discovered named Christone "Kingfish" Ingram (the dude is good), I've been making a point sometimes to focus on learning songs that would be easy for a beginner to learn (at least one guitar part, in some cases 2) - reason for this is that my daughter (12) and oldest stepson (8) both took up guitar last year, and my brother in law (40ish) started learning last month - and while I don't consider myself a good guitar player, I've been doing it long enough that I feel I can walk an absolute beginner through the first steps, working them up to cowboy chords, power chords, and a few riffs.

So yeah, while I'm writing down tabs for Twinkle Twinkle and stuff like that, I'm learning some rock songs that should be easy first steps into rock and roll for them, so they can play the easy part while I carry the song. Among them: the Rolling Stones' Mother's Little Helper, with an easy little riff but no real solo, and CCR's Proud Mary and Born on the Bayou, where the chords should be easy enough for a beginner to hit while I hack my way through the solo. It's songs like these that I intend to use to bring my little army of mini-me's into the world of rock and roll.

That said, if there's anything I need to know about do's and don'ts of teaching absolute beginners, or if there's a thread around here that talks about it, someone please point me in the right direction - I'm new to this forum and still learning my way around, but teaching the young ones (and the not-so-young one) is part of my focus lately so I'd love to learn more about it

NotScott

Reaction score

JK... kinda... while I've been jamming along lately with a lot of CCR, the Rolling Stones, and a guy I recently discovered named Christone "Kingfish" Ingram (the dude is good),

Kingfish kicks azz!:bowdown

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Late - 50's beginner here. Currently working on: Nothing Else Matters, Over the Hills and Far Away, Whole Lotta Love, Lonely is the Night, Dancing in the Street (Van Halen) , Feel Like Making Love.

Gary Bell

Reaction score
Late - 50's beginner here. Currently working on: Nothing Else Matters, Over the Hills and Far Away, Whole Lotta Love, Lonely is the Night, Dancing in the Street (Van Halen) , Feel Like Making Love.
Great list. Love all those songs. I’m really enjoying some of the guitar lessons on YouTube. There’s some really great teachers on there. It’s cool learning the way the artists originally recorded them. Some of the cords I thought I knew. There is an easy way to play a lot of the songs and the real way. Some of the cords are super difficult. It’s fun and challenging.

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Great list. Love all those songs. I’m really enjoying some of the guitar lessons on YouTube. There’s some really great teachers on there. It’s cool learning the way the artists originally recorded them. Some of the cords I thought I knew. There is an easy way to play a lot of the songs and the real way. Some of the cords are super difficult. It’s fun and challenging.
I've been really impressed with Carl Brown's Guitar Lessons 365. I've learned Nothing Else Matter and Van Halen's 316 from him. Steve Stine is also excellent - I did his basic Beginner Guitar Course to get me started.

Foo for Thought

Reaction score

JK... kinda... while I've been jamming along lately with a lot of CCR, the Rolling Stones, and a guy I recently discovered named Christone "Kingfish" Ingram (the dude is good), I've been making a point sometimes to focus on learning songs that would be easy for a beginner to learn (at least one guitar part, in some cases 2) - reason for this is that my daughter (12) and oldest stepson (8) both took up guitar last year, and my brother in law (40ish) started learning last month - and while I don't consider myself a good guitar player, I've been doing it long enough that I feel I can walk an absolute beginner through the first steps, working them up to cowboy chords, power chords, and a few riffs.

So yeah, while I'm writing down tabs for Twinkle Twinkle and stuff like that, I'm learning some rock songs that should be easy first steps into rock and roll for them, so they can play the easy part while I carry the song. Among them: the Rolling Stones' Mother's Little Helper, with an easy little riff but no real solo, and CCR's Proud Mary and Born on the Bayou, where the chords should be easy enough for a beginner to hit while I hack my way through the solo. It's songs like these that I intend to use to bring my little army of mini-me's into the world of rock and roll.

That said, if there's anything I need to know about do's and don'ts of teaching absolute beginners, or if there's a thread around here that talks about it, someone please point me in the right direction - I'm new to this forum and still learning my way around, but teaching the young ones (and the not-so-young one) is part of my focus lately so I'd love to learn more about it

Kingfish is a badass. I'd be happy if I could play half as good as him.

eeprete

Reaction score
Been trying to learn some Rolling Stones recently, even though was never a big stones fan.

Latest Threads