Song structures

JTM45

Reaction score
What’s the perfect song structure? I listen to maiden and they go off on wild tangents where a bridge is 20 measures, priest is the typical intro verse verse chorus, the dead is like a bowl of spaghetti,

is there really a right or wrong way to do it?

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Depends what you consider a song. Theory teaches a lot of the a/b/a/b formats that are historically used. But there's no real "rule" you can do however you like.

Pop and rock tend to have a simpler format. Some metal and other genres can have songs with 50 parts.

Most of the worlds most popular songs are not incredibly complex; there's probably a lesson there.

sonar1

Reaction score
AABA repeat as necessary, kinda like NASCAR

Nard

Reaction score
Don’t forget the key change on the last choru.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What’s the perfect song structure? I listen to maiden and they go off on wild tangents where a bridge is 20 measures, priest is the typical intro verse verse chorus, the dead is like a bowl of spaghetti,

is there really a right or wrong way to do it?

If it works, it works... and if it sounds good, it probably is good.

I was thinking about this last night: how the "guitar solo" in the Steely Dan song "Don't Take Me Alive" is actually the introduction. Carlton added a bunch of lead fills in various places in the song, yes, but the moment in that song for the real focus to be on the guitar was the first forty-four seconds of it.

After that, the guitar never did really get the spotlight again.

--R

PapaSquash

Reaction score
James Brown. One chord. Funky beat. Syncopation. Repeat.
I played "Chain of Fools" at a gig this evening.

C minor, let the drummer have the backbeat, don't overpower the vocal, that's it.

Latest Threads