Sometimes life is cruel ....

KP11520

Reaction score
It Just happens. It is life. They can waste very fast.

I'm not here to break your gonads, as I'm sure you're not running the place and were kind enough to make it comfortable as it faded.

Beyond sad in this day and age. The priorities of the place IMO are in sad need of being revisited. It's evident it wasn't given a clean bill of health or maybe even checked when born and no escalation protocol established or employed when it became evident something was not right.

I would have an EXTREMELY hard time volunteering there. I certainly would be raising HELL. Unless of course all did happen, but was not written. But I doubt that.

\Glad it's you and not me. I like animals more than people. Especially those that rely on us.

Thank you for going above and beyond.

archey

Reaction score
Life would be so much more tolerable if it wasn't for all this dying.

BKS

Reaction score
I'm not here to break your gonads, as I'm sure you're not running the place and were kind enough to make it comfortable as it faded.

Beyond sad in this day and age. The priorities of the place IMO are in sad need of being revisited. It's evident it wasn't given a clean bill of health or maybe even checked when born and no escalation protocol established or employed when it became evident something was not right.

I would have an EXTREMELY hard time volunteering there. I certainly would be raising HELL. Unless of course all did happen, but was not written. But I doubt that.

\Glad it's you and not me. I like animals more than people. Especially those that rely on us.

Thank you for going above and beyond.
This goat was healthy. Something might have happend in the night or something was just not spotted. Nobody was /is to blame. Trust me they know me. I made one person loose his job Because of things he did and got unnoticed by his boss. There has been things happening and i will Voice. They know i do it for the animals. Problem might be that this park is not "manned" fulltime they come over for 1 or 2 hours daily to take care of the animals. I do the weekends and am the only volunteer. Now the thing is.... I know the animals pretty well. Last sheep being euthanized had been ill for several days (must be) but she was very shy and would let nobody near... I know her since she came in as a lamb so she she was a little better with me.... That Day she walked up to mee sounded different and behaved different, i knew something was really wrong. Nobody could pet her and now i could. Put a leash on, put her in a stable and called boss and vet. I was mad nobody spotted it earlier. They tried 2 days than decided to put her down. Also... I don't understand why these things always seem to happen in the weekends... Of this bunch of animals most illness and death seem to happen in the weekend. :dunno:
Strange thing now is the last surviving kerry hill is the most shy one... Till she got her lamb recently... Got there right after, she had a big boy and was tired so i spoiled her. She let me pet her and her lamb and she still does. Feels good you know.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I think I understand that the baby goat was born barely alive, and died shortly thereafter. If that is the case, a vet probably couldn't have helped/

Reactions: BKS

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
You gave her comfort and caring for her release, you're golden..

The world needs more compassion

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
We're all for saving every animal but sometimes nature is stronger and
unfortunately we're not above the inevitable.

That's he law of life itself.
:confused:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Yes, and now that I understand that the baby goat was a barely-alive new born, I doubt any sort of medical care would have helped. ,I used to be a rancher raising black Angus cattle. Sometimes, we would have a calf born almost still born. Although our vet was about 15 minutes away and on call, there were all to often times when this was no help. There are cases of still born and near still born human babies wherein nothing can be done, and it is terribly sad. And the same happens among other animals.

Here in SW CO, USA, we even try to protect bears! Traffic was stopped on a road the other day while a number of baby bears crossed the road. But we can’t save them all, and the OP did all he could. Again, I salute him!

BKS

Reaction score
I think I understand that the baby goat was born barely alive, and died shortly thereafter. If that is the case, a vet probably couldn't have helped/
No she was about 2 weeks old. Maybe little older even.
Anything could have happend. Like underlying birth defect, illness, accident,... I have seen it a lot with goats... One day they seem to do fine, next day you find them dead. No idea why. Sometimes they send a body away to see what happend. They not always find out but food has been an issue in the past. To much food that is. Telling people not to feed... They will when you are not looking. We had adults die that way... Sad but true.

Last edited:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
She Just passed.

And a vintage seventies Greco was snatch away from me and it is raining...
As difficult as it is, having been her caregiver and providing for her, you are a better man.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Apologies. I meant that in the non-gender-specific tradition of the English language, that is to say in certain usages, male pronouns and modifiers equally apply to males and females.

As I have stated here, before, my most distressing pet passing was a kitten that we only had for about a week. I held her while the vet euthanized her and I was more than misty.

• Haha

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Apologies. I meant that in the non-gender-specific tradition of the English language, that is to say in certain usages, male pronouns and modifiers equally apply to males and females.

As I have stated ere, before, my most distressing pet passing was a kitten that we only had for about a week. I held her while the vet euthanized her and I was more than misty.
Your skating skills are not at the right level to get out of this one!
:)

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I now still must wonder, if the goat baby was two weeks old, why the fact that the weekend vet from the petting zoo being a distance away is relevant. Within two weeks, there are many days that are not on weekends. What did the petting zoo have on call on non weekend days? Something is not right here.

Now none of this is to criticize the OP, who did everything he could do. It seems that the OP did all that could be done — but with resources that were limited beyond what the law requires here in the USA. If the animal was sick for two weeks, why was a local vet not called in?

I don’t know, as I only read above that the baby goat was two weeks old. Whether true or not IDK. If true, as a former cattle rancher, I know we would have identified a sick calf and have had the vet out before two weeks.

Last edited:

Tone deaf

Reaction score

As I have stated here, before, my most distressing pet passing was a kitten that we only had for about a week. I held her while the vet euthanized her and I was more than misty.
Skating is one of my few skills...

BKS

Reaction score
I now still must wonder, if the goat baby was two weeks old, why the fact that the weekend vet from the petting zoo being a distance away is relevant. Within two weeks, there are many days that are not on weekends. What did the petting zoo have on call on non weekend days? Something is not right here.

Now none of this is to criticize the OP, who did everything he could do. It seems that the OP did all that could be done — but with resources that were limited beyond what the law requires here in the USA. If the animal was sick for two weeks, why was a local vet not called in?

I don’t know, as I only read above that the baby goat was two weeks old. Whether true or not IDK. If true, as a former cattle rancher, I know we would have identified a sick calf and have had the vet out before two weeks.
The goat never showed signs of illness. Not during my watch or on days i walked past (i live near). That young they can go from healthy to dead in a day. A goat is no calf! These goat babies are tiny we have chicken that are bigger.... These are tiny and not as resilience as a calf.

Same vet, Just the weekend vet on call for farm animals is in belgium.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
My niece has about 7 goats (IIRC). She is totally hooked. She's going to try to make a living at animal husbandry.

pnuggett

Reaction score
Doesn't get much sadder than watching an innocent animal die like that.

KP11520

Reaction score
Doesn't get much sadder than watching an innocent animal die like that.

^^^^^^^^ This...... X 1000. I took care of a feral cat community for several years. Losing any was heartbreaking.