Someone talk me out of getting a PRS Singlecut

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would recommend considering the new Carvin single cuts:

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=cs6

I've played their California Carved top guitars and was VERY impressed. And you'll spend half of what you would on the PRS. Worst case scenario from my perspective is that you might want to change out the pickups. ... So what?

Can't make this recommendation enough. They're worth a look.

Good luck (have fun) with your dilemma.

Yeah!!!!! what he said!!!!!!! Look at this!!

Carvin.com BBS :: View topic - MY CS6 is here!!!

Make sure to scroll halfway thru!

Robster

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Les Paul. Accept no substitute!

Rob

classic

Reaction score
Man, I don't NEED any more guitars, but I seem to WANT everything. And these PRS are nice! The bigger problem is that my wife is totally on board with buying it. Ahhh!

How do you guys deal with having everything you could possibly NEED but continuously WANTING more?

So you're a lucky guy being in that situation ... and if there's no budget ...
Buy yourself that beast, for heaven sake ... and stop complaining ... :fingersx:

El Toro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Pics, please! There's a beautiful Root Beer colored SC245 at the store near me for $2700. I almost did it, but got a Balck Cherry Custom 24 Quilt instead.

The SC245 has a Gibson scale and Klusons! It's for those of us becoming disenfranchised with Gibson's current suckiness.

SamsDaddy

Reaction score
Pics, please! There's a beautiful Root Beer colored SC245 at the store near me for $2700. I almost did it, but got a Balck Cherry Custom 24 Quilt instead.

The SC245 has a Gibson scale and Klusons! It's for those of us becoming disenfranchised with Gibson's current suckiness.

Here's a pic:

7125159_f.jpg

FWIW, $2700 sounds more like the right price to me. I definitely think $3300 is too high and that I should look around a bit more for one. This was really the ONLY PRS I have ever played, so I want to try out some more just to get a feel for them.

And I am definitely not complaining about my situation at all. I am lucky as hell to be able to afford all of my gear AND have a wife who has encouraged guitar purchases rather than bitching about it. I have a buddy who hasn't bought a new guitar in 10 years and his wife gave him hell for buying a $250 Vox amp! Ouch.

I have a couple other ideas floating in my head and thanks for the suggestions on the Carvins. I've never played one and don't know if I would be able to get my hands on one to try out, so that might be off the list.

hbucker

Reaction score
...thanks for the suggestions on the Carvins. I've never played one and don't know if I would be able to get my hands on one to try out, so that might be off the list.

I know what you mean. All I can say is that it would be worth it to order and try out. Carvin has a 10 day trial period where you can return it, no questions asked. And custom features like choosing your fretboard radius, woods and finish seem like real advantages, not to mention the $$ you'd save compared to the PRS.

Like I said in my original post. I wouldn't be recommending them if I hadn't played a few of their carved tops and was very impressed. They are very different from other Carvin offerings I've played through the years. Very different. (better IMO)

Good luck.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy who hasn't bought a new guitar in 10 years and his wife gave him hell for buying a $250 Vox amp! Ouch.
wow. Nice wife. Probably why I'm divorced.

rick13

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to happen upon singlecut concept #3 , the only hardtail non production singlecut made. It absolutely sings!!!!!
With the right pickups, a bone nut and a great locking bridge you will love an SC.
Rick

scoobyzjr

Banned
Reaction score
I would say that if you are considering a PRS, go with a McCarty or a custom 24. The single cut is trying to be a Les Paul, so why not buy a Les Paul. But a Custom 24 is going to have a much different feel. Thinner body, the wide thin neck plays fantastic and it will be a departure from the LP, not just a copy. Plus I have an inherent hate for the PRS single cut. PRS started making the single cut due to a request from Guitar Center (the Walmart of guitar stores) because GC was in some battle with Gibson over selling Gibson products. This was GC's way at getting back at Gibson - and it got PRS sued! My advice would be get another LP or get a Custom 24 - don't waste time buying an "LP style" guitar. Also, I have played a few single cuts and I did not like the way the top of the body sat against me while playing sitting down.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
wow sounds great. I just sold my SC to fund my LP custom. Cant have em all! Do something about those drums and you have a killer track.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a PRS swamp ash special with lollar PUs and I love it...very different beast then a LP. So all I can say is my expence with PRS is great....

When I get a chance I will play one of those single cuts

Jims Les Paul

Reaction score
I purchased a PRS SC245 in black cherry last week and I could not beleive my ears when I rehearsed with it for the first time. I've owned several doublecut PRS guitars in the past but they were lacking in the tone dept. Not this one. Just as good as my Les Paul but a nicer feel and finish.

If you can afford one...go for it!!!

Tone Seeker

Reaction score
I spent some time with a couple of them when I was recently looking for a dual humbucker guitar. They really sound and play great. I ended up buying a PRS DGT (David Grissom Trem)...but I sure had a hard time deciding between it and an SC245.
I'm curious about the DGT. I understand that it's aimed at vintage tones, just like the SC245.

How would you characterize the differences between the DGT and the SC245?

What made you decide to go with the DGT?

Terry.

toneguy86

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would say that if you are considering a PRS, go with a McCarty or a custom 24. The single cut is trying to be a Les Paul, so why not buy a Les Paul. But a Custom 24 is going to have a much different feel. Thinner body, the wide thin neck plays fantastic and it will be a departure from the LP, not just a copy. Plus I have an inherent hate for the PRS single cut. PRS started making the single cut due to a request from Guitar Center (the Walmart of guitar stores) because GC was in some battle with Gibson over selling Gibson products. This was GC's way at getting back at Gibson - and it got PRS sued! My advice would be get another LP or get a Custom 24 - don't waste time buying an "LP style" guitar. Also, I have played a few single cuts and I did not like the way the top of the body sat against me while playing sitting down.

I just got a PRS soapbar SE and love the contrast. The P-90s sing and the neck is nice. It's a light guitar but has a lot of meat in the tone. A great contrast to the other things I have--plus the price is definately right. It is not American made, which may bother some though.

Mark

carydad

Reaction score
I have some DGT interested as well. I have an sc245 and sc250 and both are very nice guitars. The DGT with nitro sounded very good in clips i have heard. Of course, might have something to do with his playing...just maybe.

Latest Threads