someone catch me up to speed - are new standards no longer weight relieved?

theycallmegio

Reaction score
Hey all - I've been out of the game for a few years. I was looking at LPs and I noticed the traditional is no longer offered, and if I'm reading correctly the standard model is a true solid-body?

can anyone confirm this? If so, when did Gibson start doing this? Sounds like a step in the right direction!

Pappy35

Reaction score
This is correct. The new 50's and 60's Standard's are NOT weight relieved. Weight's seem top range mostly between just under 9 pounds to a little over 10. There are a few here and there that top 11 and 12 pounds but those are outliers. Gibson's really upped their game with these new Standards!

Benniator

Reaction score
The new '50s/'60s Standards have no weight relief, no PCB electronics, no push/pull functionality. Those are now features of the Modern Collection.

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Essentially, they went back to making the Les Pauls people were asking for.

I have to say that my 18 BFG, while light as a feather, is a real joy to play, as is my CM (which is significantly heavier than the BFG).

Latearrival

Reaction score
So....the new 50's and 60's standards are basically what used to be called the "LP Traditional" - except that most (but not all) years of Trad had the 9-hole weight relief -and if what was said above is correct, the new "Standards" don't.

So the guitars which have the more modern features are called - what? "Les Paul Modern"? or "Les Paul Standard Modern"?

It's still confusing, but at least now, the Guitar which has a build closest to the original Les Paul wlill be called the "Standard" and the Guitar with the extra additions is called something else....(Les Paul Modern?"

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
It's still confusing, but at least now, the Guitar which has a build closest to the original Les Paul wlill be called the "Standard" and the Guitar with the extra additions is called something else....(Les Paul Modern?"
The Modern and the Classic both have weight relief and slim taper necks:

wjlim22

Reaction score
This is correct. The new 50's and 60's Standard's are NOT weight relieved. Weight's seem top range mostly between just under 9 pounds to a little over 10. There are a few here and there that top 11 and 12 pounds but those are outliers. Gibson's really upped their game with these new Standards!
I had one that was a backbreaker. I didn't weigh it, but I suspect it was on the higher end of the spectrum. I returned it. The one I got to replace it is a lighter load. I wonder if the density of the wood could make a difference in the sound. To me, the heavier one felt like it vibrated more and sounded louder acoustically. Both were excellent in quality and stay in tune forever. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it was my observation.

I like the variation of each guitar. The quality is consistent, but each one is different. Just another good reason for me to get another one!

theycallmegio

Reaction score
Hey friends sorry to bump this thread but I have another question. When exactly did this start?
I have my eye on a tobacco burst, it’s a 2019 50s standard.

Is it solid body or weight relieved??

Latest Threads