Some questions about Tuners - Swapping out Klusons for Grovers

gregggyf

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Les Paul Classic and I do not like the plastic look of the Klusons. My goal is to add Grover (metal) type tuners.

After doing some basic research I've learned that the diameter for the tuner holes for my guitar are 0.339".

The tuners that I would like to add are Grover Locking Rotomatics and these tuners require a 0.391" hole (25/64).

I realize that the tuning holes would have to be "slightly enlarged" in order to accomodate the Grovers.

Other than the drilling is there anything else that needs to be done?

In general, how long should this mod take? and in general how much should this mod cost?

I would like to state that it would make me "feel better" having the Kluson's out of this guitar. (Just in case anyone felt that removing wood is a last resort) : )

Thank you very much for your time and concern.[/B][/B]

mptachenko

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Historic '59 RI. I Grovered it shortly after I got it because it would not stay in tune. Years later I learned that there are better direct replacements. Some days I regret it because I ruined the originality but it is my baby and I do not ever plan on getting rid of it. I have done all kinds of things to it now to make it the best playing and sounding guitar for me. In the long run I am glad I Grovered it because it is now set up the way I want it. I like the way the nickel on the tuner buttons is aging and matches the rest of the hardware. People may chide you for drilling a Gibson but when I comes down to it, no matter how expesive your Les Paul is it will never really ever be a "vintage" Les Paul, those days are gone. Even in 1959 these guitars were built to be used and played. Set your guitar up the way you want and enjoy playing it. Over all point- Grovers are great and I have had no issues with them in the last ten years. It completely solved my tuning problem. You will have to enlarge the holes for the Grover shafts but the single screw of the Grover lines up with the lower hole of the Klusons you will not need extra screw holes. Also they make conversion bushings for Grovered guitars now so if you want to go back to the original tuners now you can. There was a reason so many vintage Gibson got Grovered- the Klusons were not as good! I think that statement still stands today.

Post any more questions you may have about Grovering.

elcajon64

Reaction score
I have done this to three Les Pauls. I have a 1980 Deluxe getting this done at the shop now. It is an easy, inexpensive reaming. I strongly prefer the Grover tuners with the Keystones. As far as reaming out your baby's resale value, you can always put the smaller ones back in. She'll never feel it.

IMG_2284.jpg

gregggyf

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your supportive and informative ideas.
:)

Latest Threads