Some questions about Aged R9s

w.izzy

Reaction score
Some questions about Aged R9s

Hello. Currently I am in the middle of an aged R9 search process in ebay and other sites since I live outside the US, and therefore have several questions. I have found a new 2012 Murphy for about $6000 and a 2007 (that has been regarded as a good R9 year) for the same price!!!! which one would you get? In this sense, what are the best Murphy years (if there is such a thing)?

Also, how is the selection process for the ones that Mr Murphy will distress and age? Is it something like the handpicking that the yamano experts did according to the legend?

Finally, I have heard that the Sandy aging is made in house and I know is a lot more expensive but, is her worth the price difference in comparison to a murphy? is her such a fine guitar? would you people go for one if you could?

And that's it, thank you very much. I appreciate your expert help and have read you as much as I could..

bye

jamman

Reaction score
Buy the 1 you like the most. No 1 year is better than another.

Yamano's are more selective from my understanding (up until 2007) Now "Yamano" is just a ploy .

No

Some will tell you that the CC guitars are the best thing since sliced Bread , But that's only opinion . Imo , not any better than an average R9 . And they have not been shown to be better in anyway .

I can and i won't because, they are not that special imo.

If you like Aged guitars , Imo the Murphy would be the one to get .

RAG7890

Reaction score
IMHO if both guitars were equal in all respects, I'd always buy the 2007.

All of my 2007 Murphy Aged Les Pauls had great MGRW Boards & they were all good guitars (I had about 3 from this year). My 2007 Murphy Aged Yamano R0 (which I still have) is, to me, spectacular.

Ultimately, it all depends on the individual guitar............I am sure you have seen many of us say there are great guitars, so so guitars & dogs in all years.

Play them both & buy the one you really like. If you like them both equally buy the 2007.

My 2c FWIW. Good luck. :)

:cheers:

tspoon5150

Reaction score
O.K., here is my personal opinion. I own a 2010 R9 VOS, Shinny 2011 R9, Murphy
Ultra Aged 2012 R9 BOTB page 116 limited 30 run by GC, and a HM 2006 R9 makeover.

I like the Murphy aged because it has that broken in feel plus the Burst Bro's
custom wound pups. I don't have to worry about scratching it or dinging it
up, not to say I will on purpose. Very nice guitar but about $2500 more
for the Murphy Aging. Something special about a Murphy.

If it were me buying the two you are describing, I would go for a
Yamano. I like the Hard Rock Maple and heard that is one of the last good ones
in 2007.

Unles you could play them side by side, it is a hard decision. No two of the same
models even sound the same, and a good set up helps even more.
Too many variables.

I would lean towards the 2007 Yamano, but that's just me.

Save your money from the Murphy, the price difference is the aging, which
tells me the Yamano is probably a tad better guitar plus it is a one piece board
if you care about that.

Drawback on the 2007 versus the 2012, is the 2012 has many improvements
that started in 2009.

We are also talking stock guitars here, some mods to either one can
bring out even more in each instrument and depends on how far you
want to go to chase the ultimate tone. But some folks are content
in stock ones also.

Good luck on your decision, I'm sure either one will be nice.

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't like Murphy's much at all...

Buy a stock Gloss or VOS.

Marshallow

Reaction score
I'd go for the 2007. Haven't played a really bad 2005-2008 historic. Have played tons of bad 2009-2012. Murphy's job is fantastic.

bluefrog

Reaction score
aging ... i am not crezy about. but what nico does is more tasteful then the overpriced
murphy stuff. and when I think was happend to member for his Kosoff sig. Les Paul.
I d by a nice 2nd hand and age it by using !

jamman

Reaction score
aging ... i am not crezy about. but what nico does is more tasteful then the overpriced
murphy stuff. and when I think was happend to member for his Kosoff sig. Les Paul.
I d by a nice 2nd hand and age it by using !

What ? Have you seen the price for the 1 now on sale . I know some like his work , and that's all good , but Imo .... That's not worth a penny . He took a nice guitar and turned it into trash . Right out of the dumpster . I wonder how much Photo shop work Nico did to the pictures of that guitar ?

If Gibson took 2 years to work on every one of it's Aged guitars I'm sure they would turn out better . That's about how long Nico took with this last one he sold here . IIRC Murphy didn't do the Aging on thre Kosoff's .

w.izzy

Reaction score
Thank you very much to everybody who read and answered to this post. Your opinions have been invaluable and helped me not to pull the trigger that soon. I bought a "other" LP finally.

Thanks really

Izzy

:)

Fiftywattmafia

Reaction score
Gibson lover here so take my comments with a grain of salt.

If it were me and I was going to drop the kind of coin on what a Murphy aged costs

I would fully investigate and educate myself on the replica Les Paul world...if you are looking purely for a guitar to get you as close as you can to a 'burst and not at collectibility, authentic Gibson guitar etc...

Latest Threads