Some pics of the JPP

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
So I got myself a new portable digital camera a Panasonic DMC-ZS7 so I took some pictures of my JPP to see how good the pictures come out and I was pleasantly surprised

Heres the back of the headstock where it was repaired after the headstock snapped off
P1000021.jpg

Headstock
P1000020.jpg

You can see the wear on the neck from me playing her every day:dude:
P1000019.jpg

P1000018.jpg

P1000013.jpg

P1000006.jpg

I like the Black and White film grain effect
P1000010.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
Had a band practice and it was in the case standing straight up and drummer accidentally knocked it over, fell on a solid cement floor and it was snapped in the case one of the saddest moments of my life but for $150 it was fixed by the great guys over at 30th Street Vintage Guitars in NYC.

Droog

Reaction score
how did the head snap off?

Haven't you read the threads on this forum? Apparently Les Paul head stocks just leap off the necks for no apparent reason. It's a big reason to not buy these guitars.

:shock:

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
Next time you have a headstock break, and you don't want to see that it was ever broken, Joel is the man. A wizard. A true star.

JW Guitar Restoration and Repair - Repair of Necks, Les Pauls, Frets, Broken Headstocks, Nuts, Bridges, Inlay, Finish, Truss Rods

That does look like some amazing work! Matt over at 30th said he could do a neck refin if I wanted it to look brand new but I didn't want the hassle I figure a battle scar is a battle scar I won't be selling this guitar so I'm not to worried. But if any of my other Gibson's headstock break *cringes in fear at the thought* I'll definitely be having a chat with Joel cause that work was astonishing!

yeah Droog its quite shocking how often Gibson headstocks just FLY RIGHT OFF!!!:laugh2:

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Haven't you read the threads on this forum? Apparently Les Paul head stocks just leap off the necks for no apparent reason. It's a big reason to not buy these guitars.

:shock:

just wanted to hear the horror story. dropped it. friend broke it. fell down a flight of stairs. dog knocked it over. layed it on the sofa and it fell over. kids.....UPS.......

Torren61

Reaction score
I weel keel your drummer!! I am announcing a fatwah. Anyone who likes the guitar work of Jimmy Page must keel the drummer upon sight. You will be rewarded seventy virgins in heaven.

(What they don't tell you is that eventually you tap each one of those seventy virgins. Then you're left with seventy women all having their time of the month in synchronization. Oh bloody hell.)

scooter

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the mishap, but nice repair job. Great to see its back to work, just keep it away from that bonker from now on! :D

"Sunny"

Reaction score
glad to see the headstock was repaired :thumb: is that a #1?

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
haha yea this is a number 1 me and my drummer had a little moment where I was pretty pissed at him because this is my nuymber 1 guitar I play her every day! But he felt horrible and he's a massive Zeppelin fan like myself so when it broke he was almost in tears like I was!

But yea it was pretty horrific because he's helping me pack up all my gear and then you just hear SMACK! and we both turned and went F**K!! Then to open it and see it snapped...(I won't post the horrific snapped headstock pics there to graphic) I was nearly in tears at the sight.

ultraaged

Reaction score
care to share some techie info about the settings ISO/f's/zoom etc about the pics?

I use "auto" and my pictures always suck.

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
Sure on the Panasonic I'm using there is an "Intelligent Auto" mode which will automatically adjust for the best picture I used that on some shots but played around with settings a little for others. The Leica lense that is in the camera also helps a great deal.

In the first picture the ISO was set to 80 and I used an exposure time of 1/40 of a sec, despite being a very close almost macro-esque shot I didn't use any macro mode or zoom for the shot I simply got in close with the lense till the distance looked right to me. No flash on this shot obviously just natural sunlight out doors F-stop was at f/3.3

The second shot of the back of the headstock was also taken without any macro mode enabled I took 2 with the macro mode and didn't really like the results I still have to play around with this camera's macro mode till I get it right. The ISO for the second shot was still at 80 because it was a nice sunny day and the sun was right on my terrace where the headstock was. The exposure time for this shot was 1/50 of a sec, with the same f-stop of f/3.3

For the shot of the back of my JPP I set the ISO to 125 and the exposure to 1/40 of a second which came out very nice and accurately shows the red in the back. That shot was taken without any zoom either just back and forth to distance correctly.

The first shot of the burst uses an ISO of 125 again as by now the sun had kind of moved slightly out of position, the exposure time was set to 1/80 of a second for the shot of the burst. I took a few shots of the top with and without flash trying to get the most accurate representation of the color and this was by far the best picture I've ever got of the top it looks how my JPP looks in most lighting in real life. I noticed sometimes the camera will bring out more or less of the burst but this seemed to be the perfect mix to catch it just right.

For the second shot of the burst at the angle I didn't use any zoom just got really close and went down on 1 knee to get it right. The ISO for this shot was back down to 80 and the exposure remained at 1/80 of a second for this shot as well.

The next shot of the top with all the crazy strips in the back had an ISO of 80 again and an exposure time of 1/100 of a second.

Now onto the black and white film grain image, I used the cameras Black And White Film Grain mode for this shot obviously. I really like the effect as its not just your standard black and white. The F-Stop on the black and white was f/4.5 with an ISO of 1600 the exposure for this shot was 1/400 of a second.

All in all I like to play around with ISO speeds and exposure times I don't use zoom much as I like to get up close with the camera for guitars although on plants etc where you need a Macro it comes in handy but for this its not that necessary. The best advice I can give you is play around with your camera take some pictures in natural light and play around with the settings on your camera read your manual and see what your camera can do. I started getting into cameras by playing around with digital cameras and stuff to get good shots its all about knowing what your working with camera wise and checking your shots to make sure they look good to you.

Also I heard on here I think it was that a black back drop allows the camera to better focus on the colors of the guitar or whatever subject you are photographing. Hopefully that helped! the camera I'm using is a Panasonic DMC-ZS7 just a nice portable camera not a fancy DSLR though one day I will get one of those! The camera is 12.1 Megapixels with a 25mm Wide angle Leica lense.

Latest Threads