some new Manson

smk506

Reaction score
Well, I don;t think this guy is a musician, aNd never did.
I think the guy is a self important twat, desperate for relevance in a world that’s passed him by.

But he’s definitely a musician, and not just for the reasons listed above either. I mean it’s been awhile, but I’ve owned more of his albums than I have of yours or most of his other critics. :dunno: I outgrew the music and thankfully everything that went with it, but I won’t deny he’s creative.

Zungle

Reaction score
I like a few Manson songs and his live shows are decent entertainment....

I've really wanted to like his last couple releases, but honestly he kinda bores me a bit....

Meh what the hell.......I'll have to give this one another listen.

Bluesky

Reaction score
Is he even still around? I thought he died in the 90s............maybe that was just his career?

Ed B

Reaction score
I think the guy is a self important twat, desperate for relevance in a world that’s passed him by.

But he’s definitely a musician, and not just for the reasons listed above either. I mean it’s been awhile, but I’ve owned more of his albums than I have of yours or most of his other critics. :dunno: I outgrew the music and thankfully everything that went with it, but I won’t deny he’s creative.

I outgrew it as well. His shows back in the day were fantastic.

Reactions: Who

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I wasn't paying attention, I thought we'd be looking at something from Hanson...

1600224062119.jpeg

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Marilyn Manson is a pretty interesting guy, actually:

I'm not exactly a fan, but I like some songs and would definitely have gone to one of his shows if he came to town back in the 90's or early 2000's, when I was more into that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Zungle

Reaction score
OK........

I gave the new release another listen.......

Didn't hate it.......wouldn't buy it......:dunno:

But thats my feeling about lots of music.....old and new.

mtgguitar

Reaction score
I like the double chin he's rockin these days.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
They all kinda sound the same to me. Too much reliance of synth to build the base of the song. He used to use more light and shade to build up songs, these sound like a march of electric pianos.

He did make one of my top 10 albums of all time though, and every time I've saw his live performances I was impressed by how great of a show he throws. He's KISS level entertaining.

Side Burns

Reaction score
He was relevant when Trent Resnor was producing the music and album.

i was never a fan...

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't believe I have *ever heard* anything by Marilyn Manson... :hmm:

Just wasn't interested. I'm so old that I was in 8th Grade when Alice Cooper came along, and so the whole Shock Rock genre is kind of a snooze to me (in general, anyway). Hell, I never even listened to ICP, because that was yet another group that seemed to rely on visuals just as much as on music.

The whole gender-bending thing got to be a snooze after David Bowie as well. If the music was good enough to actually reach me, however, I'd listen to whatever it was. But when Twisted Sister came along, I paid scant attention to the appearance of the group. Just wasn't interested... even the New York Dolls were a snooze to me, though. Just kind of a lower-rent gender bender act. All about the visuals, it seemed.

Guess that Marilyn Manson simply wasn't cutting it from the musical perspective. I may have been incorrect in this, but I figured that MM was just some act that was partially designed to appeal to the natural rebellion of teenagers, along with a calculated shock factor to perhaps enrage a select segment of parents or something.

I remember trying to outrage my dad with my David Bowie albums. Weirdly enough (or at least, it seemed weird at the time though not so weird to me now), he liked some of the music but ignored the entire rest of the Bowie shtick of the moment. He also found the whole Ziggy Stardust "alien" thing to be kind of stoopid as well.

I was a bit surprised when he failed to react to Alice Cooper or David Bowie. I asked him why and I remember him saying that to him, Alice Cooper was just "monster movie matinee meets rock and roll". He got that initial aspect in mind after realizing that the Ballad of Dwight Frye was named after the movie actor of his youth... and the Killer album just cemented all that in place.

I wondered about the gender-bender thing, too. Dad was easy enough to approach that I could actually breach that subject without worrying what his reaction might be...

He laughed and said, "Gay musicians? Gosh! Who ever heard of such a thing?"

And then he pulled one of his Liberace albums out of the stack of stuff that he and mom listened to when I wasn't around to disapprove... :rofl:

Many years later, when Michael Jackson was doing his thing with his curious, Great Empire military apparel and so forth, my kids brought some photos of him to me to disapprove of.

My response was to yank a Jimi Hendrix album out of my pile, and to tell the kids that actually, I really liked a lot of what Michael Jackson recorded. They were clearly disappointed. My daughter wanted to know, "What kind of cop are you, anyway?" :rofl:

Later on, my son stopped listening to Nitzer Ebb when I began using them as workout music... and he also abandoned Ministry when I appeared to be listening to them, too...

But for all that, I never gave a shit what their stage routine consisted of-- and I wouldn't have cared about Marilyn Manson, either. Why would I? It was all just showbiz to me.

It's not that I disliked anything about MM. It was just that somehow, his music never did actually reach my ears.

I shrug. Just something "new" for me to listen to, if I ever get sick of all the material I already really love... which is not likely, because my top favorite actually were produced over a four decade period and represents a pretty deep pile of music. And after that I like a lot of classic orchestra music and piano concertos... which span over a century's worth of material.

It was strange, growing up in the Sixties and early Seventies. Now, at age 62, it seems that most of the "new" shit I see in popular entertainment seems to be the SOS, but repackaged.

--R

Last edited:

Latest Threads