Some help on buying a used Epiphone LP 100

dgallant

Reaction score
Hi Everyone i'm from Canada, This is my first time posting in the forums.

Was at my local cash converters (Franchise Pawnshop) Ans i see they have a Epiphone Les Paul 100 with bolt on neck and cherry sunburst finish. I Always wanted a les paul for a cheap price. They are asking $150. Looked the guitar over and it looks like it never really was played much. Looks brand new. I know at lot of people talk about fake LP guitars on here.

I checked the serial number at The Guitar Dater Project and it came back Serial number unrecognized. S/N: 1006131018
I know on the new Epiphone LP 100 the neck fret board has dot inlays
On this guitar it has Trapezoid Inlays on the fret board and on the head stock it says epiphone, les paul model and on the truss rod cover it says Les Paul 100. The back plate where it holds the neck on Says
Hand-Crafted In China By The Epiphone Company Nashville Tennessee USA.
With the serial number 1006131018

I know i don't have pictures of this guitar but if some one could give me info if the guitar is Fake or a year this guitar was made that would great
Thanks.

Don.

p700

Reaction score
Is it likely that a previous owner modified the inlays? I douby it. For that money why wouldn't the previous owner just by a Standard? But it's not impossible. The SN you posted is the correct format for LP100's at least, as is the writing on the bolt on plate. Regarless, $150 is about 1/2 price in Canada, and, if in fact that someone did take on the job of putting on trapeziod inlays that is sweet bonus for you.

beattle55

Reaction score
I wonder if that was a special Long & McQuade model or a special run for Yorkville Sound?

lpplayer

Reaction score
"Handcrafted in China".....I was thinking a LP300 too....but did they make them in China back when the LP300's were made? I thought they only had a plant in Korea back then.

Its a long shot....but I have heard of trapezoid stickers that people have placed over dot inlays.....

dgallant

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys i will try to get over there and take some pics I really want this one. I will take a look at fret board to see if the trapezoid inlays are not stickers. My Dad worked for Yorkville Sound and he can't remember if they ever did a a special edition les paul like that.

Dragon1413

Reaction score
I can't imagine anyone making a fake Epi LP100. They are decent guitars, but the profit margin for making a fake just isn't there. The cheapest LP body I can find is $50 and then when you add even the least expensive pups, electronics, etc...you're talking another $50-$75 to create a fake. Maybe it can be done for less, but I don't see spending the time and effort for such a small margin of profit.

So for $150, assuming the guitar sounds good, I'd buy it and not even worry about it being fake.

tampa898

Reaction score
Yeah. Buck and a half isn't a bad deal. There are lots of these on kijiji in that price range.

Phildog

Reaction score
Maybe it started out as a 100, but a previous owner replaced the neck with that of a 300. That could explain why the TRC says LP100.

dgallant

Reaction score
Ya i took another look at today and i going to buy it, i put $50 deposit down, i don't get paid until Thursday. But again guys thanks for all your advice.
I'm just a average Guitar Player. But i always wanted a lp just could not afford one and now i can.

p700

Reaction score
Well I am just a below average guitar player and I am still curious about the orgin of those bizarre inlays on the LP100. Let us know if they are stickers or not, and post pics when you get her home.

dgallant

Reaction score
Hey Guys I picked up the guitar today but have not had time to play it as i'm off to work in like 20 mins. lpplayer and p700 fyi the trapezoid inlays are stickers. I pulled one off and found a dot inlay under it. It's no big deal the guitar still looks awesome. When i get a chance i will post pics.The only thing i did do was take the back cove off to see the pots.
Two pots read B500k Alpha and the other two read JS A500k.

I know i want to change the pickups as i don't like open coil pickups as they look cheap to me.

Latest Threads